DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Practice Pads for rudiments

Hi, any particular pads you guys have tried or are using and would recommend? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Practice Pads for rudiments

I have one of those double sided pads that is bouncy on one side and hard on the other. It makes for a good workout. I think it is HQ... Another route you might want to try is working out on something with absolutely no bounce, like a pillow. I can rip through paradiddles and double strokes on a pillow. This gives me a ton of control on the drum, because I'm not relying on the rebound of the drum.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy145 View Post
I have one of those double sided pads that is bouncy on one side and hard on the other. It makes for a good workout. I think it is HQ... Another route you might want to try is working out on something with absolutely no bounce, like a pillow. I can rip through paradiddles and double strokes on a pillow. This gives me a ton of control on the drum, because I'm not relying on the rebound of the drum.

The Vic Firth Heavy Hitter Stock Pad is probably my favorite pad. I like it because you can actually hear what your playing. The HQ's and other neoprene-ish pads are **too** quiet so you can't hear your flams and other dynamics as well. The Heavy Hitter seems to be the perfect pad for me. Great rudimental workout pad.

I also love the Sabian Quite Tone but it's more expensive and a little less portable.

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store...large/1525.jpg

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store.../large/499.jpg
Old 05-14-2008, 02:43 AM

i second the heavy hitter stockpad.
i bought mine so i can practice for marching band/drumline stuff so its great for that rudimental stuff.
and if you want extra articulation and more of a real feel they sell laminates to put on top.

any pad really would work though.
there are plenty out there.

moongel makes one with like no bounce,
theres an epad that has very little bounce,
or even hq pads will do.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy145 View Post
I have one of those double sides and let me tell you, its not worth it. Just get the single side. I almost never use the hard side, because it sounds annoying, and it has the worst feel, you may as well be hitting a desk or hard plastic.

Pads are great for rudiments and working your chops out. My snare ability has increased dramatically because of pad use.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Many thanks for your help, I was also wondering, do you guys actually practice rudiments on the actual snare? Or do you guys just spend most time on the pads only, cos where I live, its almost impossible to practice long hours of rudiments on snare without pissing family/neighbours off.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

HQ realfeel all the way, i love the double sided one cause it works my chops for drumline. But for drumset i probably wouldn't use both sides.

I practice my rudiments on my pad and warm up with them on my snare for set. Then i usually integrate them into my playing.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 AM

I have the Pat Petrillo Signature Pad the P4. It's got four surfaces on the same side, on 3 different levels. It's perfect for drumset practice..it feels great, like I'm moving around the drums....and I have an HQ..This is way better..

I saw it on his DVD, and got it off his site. www.patpetrillo.com

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Pat_Petrillo.html

Jason
Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM

I'll second the Pat Petrillo P4 pad. I use one and for me it's great. Allows you to move around somewhat like you would on a kit. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin55 View Post
Hi, any particular pads you guys have tried or are using and would recommend? Thanks!
I'd recommend a Remo 10" practice pad:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/remo_rt001000_uebungspad.htm

This pad feels just like a real drum when you play it. It has a real head on there, which is tunable so you can match the tension to your "real" snare drum to get the same rebound response. It's not as quiet as some pads, but its the only one I've tried that feels like a real drum.

Regards

Paul
Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 AM

Wao so many different opinions, so many to choose from. Thanks alot though. Ive got a tama pad, its black and red color, does any one have that too? I feel its a little too bouncy.