DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 AM

Default Yamaha Flying Dragons

anyone have/used the flying dragons? im looking for a pedal because my dw 7000s are starting to absolutely blow big time. i want to pick up something that has great feel to it, smooth and responsive -- and all the reviews for the flying dragon is flying colors. also tell me what pedal you use that fits my description of the pedal i want -- i tried some iron cobras and im not really feeling them at all... :S
Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha Flying Dragons

Check out some past reviews here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...+flying+dragon I have 2 Yamaha FDDD singles, and am very satisfied.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 AM

I really like the Flying Dragon, but I might be the oddity here. I used to play Speed Kings all the time and never liked Camco inspired chain driven pedals at all. DWs leave me cold. They have too much "sproing" for me and seem to have a mind independent of my foot. The direct drive solves all that. What your foot does, the pedal does. On the other hand, I've heard that many dedicated DW users dislike the direct drive. They are two different ponies. You have to try them out.
The other factor is how you adjust them. I use mine on a pretty loose spring tension, with the beater angle back as far as it can go without sitting on the pedal. Gives me more control and a greater bounce off the batter head.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM

I tried them a while ago and I think that they're not bad at all! I prefer my Iron Cobras thoug! IMO, Iron cobra feels better since it's heavier and the flying dragons are too light for me.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I really like the feel of the pedals, and the build quality is great. Apparently Yamaha hardware is made in the same workshop type thing that their car parts are built. Strong stuff.

Tom
Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

The Yamaha's are very smooth, great feeling, but I feel that they lack a certain heavy duty feel to them. The Cobras have that heavy duty feel to them, but lack some of the smooth operation. I think the Yamaha's are the best in this price range, just based on what I've played in the store, I should have got them instead of my Cobras.

As for DW, they are great pedals, but overpriced, if you're willing to fork out over $500 for a 9002, you're well on your way to an Axis or a Trick.

(I used the word feel way to much)

Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

my Flying Dragon double-chain drive is by far THE best pedal i've ever played, and i'm going back to the 60's Speed Kings and 70's Rogers Swiv-o-Matic through Tamas, Camcos, Pearls, Mapexs and DWs. i even tried the Axis pedals for a while and didn't like them.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Flying Dragons are great pedals. I have the direct drive and the dual chain single pedal versions. I prefer the chain pedal due to the feel. I have had most of the major brand's top pedals and I will say, for me, the Yamaha pedals are the best. They have a medium light feel and are very smooth, plust they don't have a gazillion adjustments to drive you nuts with. Try them out if you can.