DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Default The drummers for "Heart"... Bonham-ish overtones?

as im listening to baracuda. i know the drummer from heart has some bonham similarites to it

anyone else has any other opinions on this?

id like to discuss this drummers technique a little more too
Old 05-13-2008, 02:28 AM

Default Re: hearts drummer has some bonham-ish overtones?

From what I've read and heard, the Wilson sisters of Heart loved Led Zeppelin and liked to borrow the feel and sound of Zep in certain songs. The drummer on early Heart records was Michael Derrosier (sp?) and he definitely emulated Bonham very well, IMO. I think he'd be a great drummer for the reunited Zeppelin if they went out on tour.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

They were almost a Led Zeppelin cover band before they made it to the "big time". Anne can belt out a Robert Plant vocal with the best of 'em. Drummer Michael Derosier was replaced by Denny Carmassi in 1983, another cat who has more than a few "Bonham-isms" down. So much so that he played on the Coverdale-Page album in 1993.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruok View Post
From what I've read and heard, the Wilson sisters of Heart loved Led Zeppelin and liked to borrow the feel and sound of Zep in certain songs. The drummer on early Heart records was Michael Derrosier (sp?) and he definitely emulated Bonham very well, IMO. I think he'd be a great drummer for the reunited Zeppelin if they went out on tour.
yes because im noticing this mans triplets, and i could swear that his kit has that bonhamish sound too!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

II love heart, and indeed I prefer some of their Led Zep covers more than the originals (I can hear the the cursing all the way from here from the Zep fans). Ben Smith their present drummer is spot on and the arrangements are fresh. Pick up or order their PBS Sound Stage show on double DVD and you will know what I mean. If you have never heard the album Bad Animals, it is must.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
yes because im noticing this mans triplets, and i could swear that his kit has that bonhamish sound too!
It helps that Derosier's cymbals were Paiste 2oo2s, as was Bonham's (post 1971). And maybe (correct me if I'm wrong) the drums were Ludwigs as well, as was Bonham's.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruok View Post
It helps that Derosier's cymbals were Paiste 2oo2s, as was Bonham's (post 1971). And maybe (correct me if I'm wrong) the drums were Ludwigs as well, as was Bonham's.
ill have to look up his gear and such and repost back to you guys shortly.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
They were almost a Led Zeppelin cover band before they made it to the "big time". Anne can belt out a Robert Plant vocal with the best of 'em. Drummer Michael Derosier was replaced by Denny Carmassi in 1983, another cat who has more than a few "Bonham-isms" down. So much so that he played on the Coverdale-Page album in 1993.
Denny Carmassi was also the original drummer of Montrose if anybody's keeping track.

Bonzolead
Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The drummers for "Heart"... Bonham-ish overtones?

Michael Derosier is a great drummer.

Real solid, nice feel, great sounding kits on record too.

Everything still holds up IMO today.

His stuff has always been fun to play along to.

He was (probably still is) a big Bonham fan--and it showed, but he had his own flair, so it wasn't a total cop.
I always liked what he did with Heart.

His kit was Ludwig back then, and up till at least 1991...my band opened for Alias ona Detroit date (--anyone remember Alias?)...anyway, he was a really nice guy.

His first Heart kit, when they got "known" (and probably before), was Natural Maple-- the same sizes as Bonham (14x26, 12x15, 16x16,16x18, 6.5 Supra snare), even the tympani and the Gong.

Paiste cymbals....in Bonham sizes.
He's in that old blue Paiste cymbal set up book that came out a million years ago.

He had one of the NM kit's hardware done in Copper which was kinda cool.

He had the NM set up with just the 15 rack and 18 ft on one TV show "concert" I have, but he still used the gong and one of the tymps.
This kit (on the TV Concert) may have had the Rogers mount for the 15, but it might be on a snare stand, I'd have to look again...

When Barracuda came out, by then he added the chimes, and a bell tree (that had a real cool looking holder)--all the cool stuff Ludwig had out back then, and 2 small North toms over the floor toms.
Those looked cool on that kit.

I think they were 10" & 12" .
He used a Rogers tom mount for the 12X15 on this kit.

That kit is on the Barracuda video.

Now with DVD you can freeze it, and get a real good look of the kit since there's a few real good shots of it on that Barracuda video.

Actually, this is one of my favorite looking set-ups ever.

After that, around, 1978 he used a White kit, and I've seen pic's of a WMP kit.
Those kits had a 10x14 rack tom on a rail mount (there may have been a White kit with a different mount for the tom in that time too).

There's also some video of him on "Rockplast" using a 5 piece Sonor "vistalite" kit--Amber of course haha!

Around '91 he had a (custom) Blue/White/Black swirled/stringy paint job Ludwig kit then, which he also used playing with Richard Marx (26,14,16,18, 6.5 Supra--sounded great).

Someone in my area bought this kit on eBay--I missed seeing it by a couple hours.
The guy was buying cases for it, but I haven't heard of anyone around town using it, so it could have been a "just to have" or a home use kit.

This one had the Modular tom mount on the tom and on the bass drum--no R.I.M.S.

I'm not sure what he's playing now.
I saw some picks of him on a Mapex kit a couple years ago....

There's a few Heart things out there if you are interested in getting something.

He's also on Richard Marx's "Hold On To The Night's" concert video.

It's pretty much ultra cheese, and Richard Marx....but Derosier's playing is real good, and the kit looks cool...Hey, it was in the super cheap bin and Derosier is on it what can I say.
He does a short solo at the end and the kit sounds great.

I can post a source for good quality, reasonably priced Heart DVD's of a couple concerts and TV appearances if anyone is interested.

I think Michael Derosier is involved in some way with Don Bennett's drum shop in Washington State, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.

Denny Carmassi is another great drummer, but Hearts music was being "influenced" by record people, and he was using electronics, roto's and stuff when he first joined them, so it's not really fair to "judge" the drumming between Derosier and Carmassi.

Their current guy (think he's still with them), I've only seen on 1 dvd and he was good, but he didn't have that ballsy sound at all.

Small drum sizes/ nice DW kit.
They'd be better off with the drummer using a 26" kick to get "that Heart sound" again IMO.

He didn't really "wow" me, but he did do a pretty good job on "Mistral Wind" to get the original feel, so I'll say he's a good drummer...even though I don't know his name.

And yes, Ann Wilson can still sing like that. Amazing singer.
Heart is a band I'd personally love to play with.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Great info KC, thanks! You can definitely hear that style in both the drumming and guitar licks. They still cover at least 3-4 Zep songs a show to this day. Saw them last year in MS, kick a** show with amazing vocals!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post

I actually have the Best of Heart which has a cover of Rock 'n' Roll and I am going to have to disagree with you on the statement that “Anne can belt out a Robert Plant vocal with the best of 'em.” She sounds VERY out of place on this track although Anne is probably my favorite female rock vocalist of all time. And no one will ever mistake me for being a Zeppelin fan! Heart is/was a band that wasn’t fooling around and was much more than the 1980s Corporate pop machine they became, even though those songs themselves were great! One of the first songs I ever remember was "Straight on For You" with the snare/tom on the backbeat. I am also beginning to think of the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" for some reason - ever hear of the word "blemish?"

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
... the Best of Heart which has a cover of Rock 'n' Roll and I am going to have to disagree with you on the statement that “Anne can belt out a Robert Plant vocal with the best of 'em.”
And I'll agree with this particular example. Why, of all the Zep. covers they've ever done, they put that one on an album. KC, found a picture of the Luddy with copper hardware. Classy.
Attached Images

Last edited by harryconway; 05-15-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Silver Member

since i cant find tabs anywhere. can anyone attempt to tab the opening drum riff for us?

at least the bass part because i just cant seem to get it down

im not sure if its more like a immigrant song kind of footwork or a caroselambra type footwork
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

I never really liked the older Heart songs until I was in a band that covered them and they are some really great songs. I absolutely love the drum sound on barracuda, those toms absolutely sing. I remember seeing an interview with Anne and she said they have recorded all of their albums in the same studio because that particular studio has "the best drum room" ever. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but that is what she said. I do love Heart, and another poster mentioned the Bad Animals cd and I agree that it is a great CD. The song "Easy Target" should have been released as a single. It kicks my rear every time I listen to it.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Denny Carmassi is another great drummer... so it's not really fair to "judge" the drumming between Derosier and Carmassi.
Unless you judge 1976 Denny Carmassi up against 1977 Michael Derosier. Notice any similarity between kits? I saw Denny with Montrose open for Alice Cooper (Welcome to my nightmare tour), Forum. Saw Heart on the Little Queen tour. Rock shows will never be the same as in "the good old days". Sorry the Carmassi photo is so small, the "site" only let me download a thumbnail.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

right....

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
I never really liked the older Heart songs until I was in a band that covered them and they are some really great songs. I absolutely love the drum sound on barracuda, those toms absolutely sing. I remember seeing an interview with Anne and she said they have recorded all of their albums in the same studio because that particular studio has "the best drum room" ever. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but that is what she said. I do love Heart, and another poster mentioned the Bad Animals cd and I agree that it is a great CD. The song "Easy Target" should have been released as a single. It kicks my rear every time I listen to it.
Yeah,

I played a gig a couple fo years ago and we covered Magic Man and Barracuda...this was a great band and the music only seemed to get better, even if it was on the eighties pop side.

Mike

Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Yeah,

... and we covered Magic Man and Barracuda...this was a great band and the music only seemed to get better, even if it was on the eighties pop side.

Mike

i mean, barracuda is simply just an amazing song. it has like everything i need in it :)