DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Which Guitar beginner book????

Hey guys,

A guitar player that I jam with a few times a month brought over a beat up old electric yamaha guitar and a small amp and said he wanted to leave it at my place and that I could go ahead and play on it anytime I want. I went to the music store and looked online but if I thought there were alot of choices for beginning drums man there must be 100 times as much for guitar. So my question for anyone that has been playing around with the guitar is what beginner book would you recommend?

I do know that I want to learn on an electric, and I want to lean more towards rock/classic rock.. I dont know whether I should get something that starts with chords or fingers etc..Having a dvd to watch would be a huge bonus too.

Also the thickest string was missing so I went and bought one but I am not sure how to put it on. I figured out to take the small cover off the back of it and actually got the string in all the way up to the neck part but I am not sure how to wrap it around the key thing and which way i should turn it.. I bent it up pretty good trying to figure it out but it never felt right so i undid it.

Keep in mind that I still have an awful lot of things to learn on the drums and they will still be my main focus. I plan on practicing the guitar maybe 2-3hrs a week tops.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 AM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,218
Default Re: Which Guitar beginner book????

Ive played guitar for about 2-3 years now. So a real question is what level are you at? Are you a complete beginner with no experiance? If not, are you still at the level where its difficult to get your finger in the right place fast enough? Do you need to look at the fret board when hitting different notes?

If not, then i would not suggest books. I would suggest getting teacher. Besides a book of jazz/blues songs, we dont really use books at all during my lesson. I would suggest learning your basic pentatonics and blues scales, and the basic chords (G,C,E,A,D,Em,Am,Dm,F).

As for books, i really wouldnt know sorry. Just thought id throw in a few pointers.

Feel free to message me if you need help with anything whether its technique or just anything guitar related. Im still a beginner myself i would say.

I started learning this today by myself, im going to see if my teacher can help me out with it though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B30hy...eature=related

Edit- Forgot about the string changing.

This probably wont be the best explanation but...
First, turn the guitar over so the back is facing you. Then stick the string (the pointy side without the little circle thing on the end) through the tiny little whole and pull it through the front all the way once it makes its way far enough through the hole. Then pull it through both holes of the tuning peg thing where all the other strings are, but MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE STRING TIGHT. Do not let it be loose. Then while making sure it is tight, wrap it in a circle around the little peg a few times. Then put it back through the hole of the peg and sort of weave around any part of the string and tie it up so it does not become undone. Then tune it to the note E (if you want standard tuning).
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 AM
hateplow's Avatar
hateplow hateplow is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 994
Default Re: Which Guitar beginner book????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Hey guys,

A guitar player that I jam with a few times a month brought over a beat up old electric yamaha guitar and a small amp and said he wanted to leave it at my place and that I could go ahead and play on it anytime I want. I went to the music store and looked online but if I thought there were alot of choices for beginning drums man there must be 100 times as much for guitar. So my question for anyone that has been playing around with the guitar is what beginner book would you recommend?

I do know that I want to learn on an electric, and I want to lean more towards rock/classic rock.. I dont know whether I should get something that starts with chords or fingers etc..Having a dvd to watch would be a huge bonus too.

Also the thickest string was missing so I went and bought one but I am not sure how to put it on. I figured out to take the small cover off the back of it and actually got the string in all the way up to the neck part but I am not sure how to wrap it around the key thing and which way i should turn it.. I bent it up pretty good trying to figure it out but it never felt right so i undid it.

Keep in mind that I still have an awful lot of things to learn on the drums and they will still be my main focus. I plan on practicing the guitar maybe 2-3hrs a week tops.
Thanks
Whats up, fellow NH-ite?
I don't know if you have Comcast, but if you do, they have a really good On-demand basic guitar for beginners section. Much better than a book. I just started playing guitar last year, and it helped a lot.
__________________

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Deltadrummer's Avatar
Deltadrummer Deltadrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,685
Default Re: Which Guitar beginner book????

I would recommend the Alfred books to get a good basic understanding of the guitar.
__________________
Ken Marino Drum Teacher "It's not worth keeping score. You win some. You lose some, you let it go"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Guitar beginner book????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
Whats up, fellow NH-ite?
I don't know if you have Comcast, but if you do, they have a really good On-demand basic guitar for beginners section. Much better than a book. I just started playing guitar last year, and it helped a lot.
Nah we have metrocast here and they are always about a year behind comcast. I have seen the commercials for that and it looks pretty cool. I am looking forward to it. Do they have any drum stuff on it?

Thanks Class A and Delta I will check it out. My level would pretty much be complete beginner, but not sure I want to devote the time and money of set lessons at this point yet as drums are still my main instrument. Just something I can work on at my own slow pace.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 AM
FourOnSix's Avatar
FourOnSix FourOnSix is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 190
Default Re: Which Guitar beginner book????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
This probably wont be the best explanation but...
First, turn the guitar over so the back is facing you. Then stick the string (the pointy side without the little circle thing on the end) through the tiny little whole and pull it through the front all the way once it makes its way far enough through the hole. Then pull it through both holes of the tuning peg thing where all the other strings are, but MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE STRING TIGHT. Do not let it be loose. Then while making sure it is tight, wrap it in a circle around the little peg a few times. Then put it back through the hole of the peg and sort of weave around any part of the string and tie it up so it does not become undone. Then tune it to the note E (if you want standard tuning).
That is not the right way to put a guitar string on. when you put a string on an electric guitar you don't tie the ends for starters.

Everything is fine til you get to the tuning peg. what you want to do is set the tuning peg so that the hole that the string goes through is perpendicular to the neck of the guitar. next run the string through the hole til you are about 4 inches onto the wound part of the string. you then press the part of the string about an inch before the peg against the head stock. wind the string up counterclockwise on the peg for tuners on the top and clockwise for bottomside tuners. You're going to wind it until it's in the general area of an E. then you're going to want to gently pre-stress the string so that it won't fall out of tune while you play. you do this by grabbing the string around the 12th fret and pulling it up from the fretboard about an inch and a half. do this until the string will stay intune when you do that(don't forget to increase the tension of the string back to an E[e 2 octaves below middle c to be specific]) after each couple of times you pull it. don't jerk or pull the string too far off the board or you run the risk of snapping the string or bending the neck.

that said, buy the beggening guitar book from melbay, and the grimore guitar chord and scale books for theory guidance.

direct questions to the PM. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that i'm probably the most knowledgable guitarist on this site, and i mean that as no knock to anyone else here that plays.

the most important thing for a beggening guitarist is not to overload yourself. you aren't going to sound good for awhile, get used to it, and get better
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Which Guitar beginner book????

I know many people who have had wonderful results with this book ----------> http://www.music44.com/Merchant2/mer...282-H2&Tab=BIG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com