DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Itsa lazy rainy day, and I have work that I'm procrastinating on, so I figure we should share some photos. Lighthearted Mehmet/Agop bashing ("mine is better") is also acceptable. :-)

I'll share pictures of mine later to keep my personal narcissism down. :-)

-Ryan
Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

No flames from me Ryan since I still own a complete set of my then purchased new mid 80's old black stencil logo pre-split Istanbuls signed by both Agop and Mehmet :}

Okay let's see your Istanbul Mehmet pics buddy...

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM

Am I all alone with these things?? :-)

Here's my feeble (compared to Stan's sweet Agops) collection:

14" Mehmet Legend (AKA Mel Lewis) hats
16" Thin crash
20" Nostalgia crash-ride (nice and washy, but with plenty of stick articulation)
20" Medium ride... was cheap, and it's nice to have a medium ride. A pinch brighter than a K ride. Kind of silvery.

Hopefully, there will soon be a big, dark, and dirty ride of some flavor.... though my significant other doesn't know it yet! :-)

-Ryan

Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

VERY nice, beautiful Luds too! I'll ask again...since no one answered me last time I posed this question: What, if any, difference is there between Mehmets and Agops? I understand they were once the same company...what I'm asking is more about the cymbals themselves. Are they produced differently? Which is a better choice and why?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Never heard of "Istanbul" cymbals, and they have dents all over them, like somebody hit them with a hammer. What a shame.
Just kidding of course , nice cymbals.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
VERY nice, beautiful Luds too! I'll ask again...since no one answered me last time I posed this question: What, if any, difference is there between Mehmets and Agops? I understand they were once the same company...what I'm asking is more about the cymbals themselves. Are they produced differently? Which is a better choice and why?
Thanks!

After the K Zildjian factory in Istanbul shut down, Mehmet and Agop started Istanbul Cymbals. What's seemingly common in Turkish cymbal "families" is that bad blood runs and companies split. After Agop died, his family took over his half of the business... and the two companies went different ways and different directions.

Hard to say if either is a "better" choice for a given style. Even for a given model by the same company, there's a lot of variability. Istanbul Agop has certainly diversified much more, and has a much better distribution network, so you definitely see a LOT more of their cymbals being played. Generally, folks seem to feel that Agops are more complex, with Mehmets being less so. Also seems that Mehmets are a little heavier than Agops for a given model... but that may be because the heavier Mehmets are what's left behind after the lighter ones have been sold and not yet replaced because of the really poor distribution to North America.

-Ryan
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

15" Turk hats and 20" Turk ride. 16" Soultone Extreme series crash and 16" Masterwork Legend series crash.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Istanbul Mehmet 13" flat bottom w/ holes : very funky hats ! Love them :-)

Istanbul Mehmet 21" Custom dry ride : very dry but very nice.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
Thanks!

After the K Zildjian factory in Istanbul shut down, Mehmet and Agop started Istanbul Cymbals. What's seemingly common in Turkish cymbal "families" is that bad blood runs and companies split. After Agop died, his family took over his half of the business... and the two companies went different ways and different directions.

Hard to say if either is a "better" choice for a given style. Even for a given model by the same company, there's a lot of variability. Istanbul Agop has certainly diversified much more, and has a much better distribution network, so you definitely see a LOT more of their cymbals being played. Generally, folks seem to feel that Agops are more complex, with Mehmets being less so. Also seems that Mehmets are a little heavier than Agops for a given model... but that may be because the heavier Mehmets are what's left behind after the lighter ones have been sold and not yet replaced because of the really poor distribution to North America.

-Ryan

I believe I answered the question when posted on an old thread but Ryan covered it very well.

Istanbul Mehmet= cleaner sounding Turkish cymbal making characteristics similar to the old pre-splits in many ways.

Istanbul Agop= complex more trashy Turkish cymbals with a larger range of new and different ideas/models since the split after Agop's passing.

Choose either one and have fun!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
KARL MEMBER

Nice that there is a Mehmet show-off thread finally. Unfortunatly I could just show off some Agops. ;-)
Really really beautiful pies you all got here. I was so surprised about the 21" Legend Ride`s sound. I got the chance to play it at a Jazz workshop. However, it sounded "woody" with a nice sizzle caused by the two pre-installed rivets. Very thin and papery, I expected a more pingy sound but actually it really wasn`t. =)

Here`s Marcus playing with his trio:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29936814

And another one:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=30014460

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Nice that there is a Mehmet show-off thread finally. Unfortunatly I could just show off some Agops. ;-)
Really really beautiful pies you all got here. I was so surprised about the 21" Legend Ride`s sound. I got the chance to play it at a Jazz workshop. However, it sounded "woody" with a nice sizzle caused by the two pre-installed rivets. Very thin and papery, I expected a more pingy sound but actually it really wasn`t. =)

Here`s Marcus playing with his trio:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29936814

And another one:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=30014460

Karl

Great links! The Legend 21" is what he's playing? Sweet!

The Mehmet Legend (ML) line is equivalent to the Agop Mel Lewis line. After Istanbul Cymbals split, Mehmet lost the rights to the Mel Lewis name. Inside the bells of my Legend hats, "MEL" is written along with Mehmet Tamdeger's name... supposedly signed by his secretary. :-)

-Ryan
Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
15" Turk hats and 20" Turk ride. 16" Soultone Extreme series crash and 16" Masterwork Legend series crash.
Great cymbals! How do you like your Turk ride and hats?

Thanks!
-Ryan
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Istanbul Mehmet 13" flat bottom w/ holes : very funky hats ! Love them :-)

Istanbul Mehmet 21" Custom dry ride : very dry but very nice.
Lovin' them! I remember seeing that big heavy ride from your other thread!

-Ryan
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Great links! The Legend 21" is what he's playing? Sweet!

The Mehmet Legend (ML) line is equivalent to the Agop Mel Lewis line. After Istanbul Cymbals split, Mehmet lost the rights to the Mel Lewis name. Inside the bells of my Legend hats, "MEL" is written along with Mehmet Tamdeger's name... supposedly signed by his secretary. :-)

-Ryan
Haha...well, losing the rights for a name - and even if it`s the name of a legend - isn`t what a brand should really care about. Nice that they focus on making good sounding products with a soul. ;-)
Still it seems to be a loss and bad for marketing if a brand loses a famous name.
However, why did Agop get the rights for Mel`s name?

By the way, I`m lucky enough to own an Agop 21" Mel Lewis Agop Ride. It`s the only ride I`m currently using. For the music I`m doing I just don`t need more at the moment...oh, and it is awesome! Very similar to the Legend in the videos.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How do you like your Turk ride and hats?
Great cymbals. I've been a fan of "old school" Turkish, cymbals for years. Every year, I check 'em out at the NAMM show. Well, finally, I jumped ship, so to speak, sold off a few cymbals and bought "the real deal". The hats came from Cymbal Cellar ($218) and the ride off eBay ($162), both those prices include shipping. I think they sound fantastic, and just "looks" alone make them worth the money. But I also realize that my path is one less traveled. Not many cats play Mehmets, fewer Turks, and fewer still with a vintage e-kit, sampler, and loop station. Certainl, they may not be the cymbals for everyone, but they're the right cymbals for me.