DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Itsa lazy rainy day, and I have work that I'm procrastinating on, so I figure we should share some photos. Lighthearted Mehmet/Agop bashing ("mine is better") is also acceptable. :-)

I'll share pictures of mine later to keep my personal narcissism down. :-)

-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

No flames from me Ryan since I still own a complete set of my then purchased new mid 80's old black stencil logo pre-split Istanbuls signed by both Agop and Mehmet :}

Okay let's see your Istanbul Mehmet pics buddy...
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Am I all alone with these things?? :-)

Here's my feeble (compared to Stan's sweet Agops) collection:

14" Mehmet Legend (AKA Mel Lewis) hats
16" Thin crash
20" Nostalgia crash-ride (nice and washy, but with plenty of stick articulation)
20" Medium ride... was cheap, and it's nice to have a medium ride. A pinch brighter than a K ride. Kind of silvery.

Hopefully, there will soon be a big, dark, and dirty ride of some flavor.... though my significant other doesn't know it yet! :-)

-Ryan




Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,047
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

VERY nice, beautiful Luds too! I'll ask again...since no one answered me last time I posed this question: What, if any, difference is there between Mehmets and Agops? I understand they were once the same company...what I'm asking is more about the cymbals themselves. Are they produced differently? Which is a better choice and why?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
boomboomda's Avatar
boomboomda boomboomda is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 714
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Never heard of "Istanbul" cymbals, and they have dents all over them, like somebody hit them with a hammer. What a shame.
Just kidding of course , nice cymbals.
__________________
Are you sure about that 5 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
VERY nice, beautiful Luds too! I'll ask again...since no one answered me last time I posed this question: What, if any, difference is there between Mehmets and Agops? I understand they were once the same company...what I'm asking is more about the cymbals themselves. Are they produced differently? Which is a better choice and why?
Thanks!

After the K Zildjian factory in Istanbul shut down, Mehmet and Agop started Istanbul Cymbals. What's seemingly common in Turkish cymbal "families" is that bad blood runs and companies split. After Agop died, his family took over his half of the business... and the two companies went different ways and different directions.

Hard to say if either is a "better" choice for a given style. Even for a given model by the same company, there's a lot of variability. Istanbul Agop has certainly diversified much more, and has a much better distribution network, so you definitely see a LOT more of their cymbals being played. Generally, folks seem to feel that Agops are more complex, with Mehmets being less so. Also seems that Mehmets are a little heavier than Agops for a given model... but that may be because the heavier Mehmets are what's left behind after the lighter ones have been sold and not yet replaced because of the really poor distribution to North America.

-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

15" Turk hats and 20" Turk ride. 16" Soultone Extreme series crash and 16" Masterwork Legend series crash.
Attached Images
 
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
mind_drummer's Avatar
mind_drummer mind_drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,414
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Istanbul Mehmet 13" flat bottom w/ holes : very funky hats ! Love them :-)





Istanbul Mehmet 21" Custom dry ride : very dry but very nice.

__________________
TAMA - DW - AQUARIAN - SABIAN - ZILDJIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - VATER

My Kit Latest Update
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
Thanks!

After the K Zildjian factory in Istanbul shut down, Mehmet and Agop started Istanbul Cymbals. What's seemingly common in Turkish cymbal "families" is that bad blood runs and companies split. After Agop died, his family took over his half of the business... and the two companies went different ways and different directions.

Hard to say if either is a "better" choice for a given style. Even for a given model by the same company, there's a lot of variability. Istanbul Agop has certainly diversified much more, and has a much better distribution network, so you definitely see a LOT more of their cymbals being played. Generally, folks seem to feel that Agops are more complex, with Mehmets being less so. Also seems that Mehmets are a little heavier than Agops for a given model... but that may be because the heavier Mehmets are what's left behind after the lighter ones have been sold and not yet replaced because of the really poor distribution to North America.

-Ryan

I believe I answered the question when posted on an old thread but Ryan covered it very well.

Istanbul Mehmet= cleaner sounding Turkish cymbal making characteristics similar to the old pre-splits in many ways.

Istanbul Agop= complex more trashy Turkish cymbals with a larger range of new and different ideas/models since the split after Agop's passing.

Choose either one and have fun!
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Nice that there is a Mehmet show-off thread finally. Unfortunatly I could just show off some Agops. ;-)
Really really beautiful pies you all got here. I was so surprised about the 21" Legend Ride`s sound. I got the chance to play it at a Jazz workshop. However, it sounded "woody" with a nice sizzle caused by the two pre-installed rivets. Very thin and papery, I expected a more pingy sound but actually it really wasn`t. =)

Here`s Marcus playing with his trio:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29936814

And another one:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=30014460

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Nice that there is a Mehmet show-off thread finally. Unfortunatly I could just show off some Agops. ;-)
Really really beautiful pies you all got here. I was so surprised about the 21" Legend Ride`s sound. I got the chance to play it at a Jazz workshop. However, it sounded "woody" with a nice sizzle caused by the two pre-installed rivets. Very thin and papery, I expected a more pingy sound but actually it really wasn`t. =)

Here`s Marcus playing with his trio:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29936814

And another one:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=30014460

Karl

Great links! The Legend 21" is what he's playing? Sweet!

The Mehmet Legend (ML) line is equivalent to the Agop Mel Lewis line. After Istanbul Cymbals split, Mehmet lost the rights to the Mel Lewis name. Inside the bells of my Legend hats, "MEL" is written along with Mehmet Tamdeger's name... supposedly signed by his secretary. :-)

-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
15" Turk hats and 20" Turk ride. 16" Soultone Extreme series crash and 16" Masterwork Legend series crash.
Great cymbals! How do you like your Turk ride and hats?

Thanks!
-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
volvoguy's Avatar
volvoguy volvoguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Posts: 496
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Istanbul Mehmet 13" flat bottom w/ holes : very funky hats ! Love them :-)

Istanbul Mehmet 21" Custom dry ride : very dry but very nice.
Lovin' them! I remember seeing that big heavy ride from your other thread!

-Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Drummer Karl's Avatar
Drummer Karl Drummer Karl is offline
KARL MEMBER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,099
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
Great links! The Legend 21" is what he's playing? Sweet!

The Mehmet Legend (ML) line is equivalent to the Agop Mel Lewis line. After Istanbul Cymbals split, Mehmet lost the rights to the Mel Lewis name. Inside the bells of my Legend hats, "MEL" is written along with Mehmet Tamdeger's name... supposedly signed by his secretary. :-)

-Ryan
Haha...well, losing the rights for a name - and even if it`s the name of a legend - isn`t what a brand should really care about. Nice that they focus on making good sounding products with a soul. ;-)
Still it seems to be a loss and bad for marketing if a brand loses a famous name.
However, why did Agop get the rights for Mel`s name?

By the way, I`m lucky enough to own an Agop 21" Mel Lewis Agop Ride. It`s the only ride I`m currently using. For the music I`m doing I just don`t need more at the moment...oh, and it is awesome! Very similar to the Legend in the videos.

Karl
__________________
Myspace.

Drummerworld Myspace.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Show off your Istanbul Mehmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
How do you like your Turk ride and hats?
Great cymbals. I've been a fan of "old school" Turkish, cymbals for years. Every year, I check 'em out at the NAMM show. Well, finally, I jumped ship, so to speak, sold off a few cymbals and bought "the real deal". The hats came from Cymbal Cellar ($218) and the ride off eBay ($162), both those prices include shipping. I think they sound fantastic, and just "looks" alone make them worth the money. But I also realize that my path is one less traveled. Not many cats play Mehmets, fewer Turks, and fewer still with a vintage e-kit, sampler, and loop station. Certainl, they may not be the cymbals for everyone, but they're the right cymbals for me.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com