DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Zildjian ZXT Titanium Cymbals

When I first started playing drums, I wasn't sure what kind of music I'd be playing, so I played it safe and picked up mostly "medium" cymbals. This way I play around with different kinds of music without restricting myself.

But then I started playing REALLY hard, and eventually got into much heavier music as well. Because of this, I know have 3 cracked cymbals.

Long story short, my local music shop is selling a pack of 4 Zildjian ZXT Titanium Cymbals (hi hat, ride, crash, and splash) for $500, originally on for $900. This is obviously a good deal, and I put them on layaway. I haven't gotten a chance to play them, but in my current situation, I can't really afford to be picky.

I just wanted to know if these are any good. The reviews seem pretty positive, but I wanted some personal experience from you guys. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium Cymbals

I have a set at home. I'm not a fan at all; heavy, thick cymbals with an extremely harsh sound to my ears.

As far as breaking cymbals, you're looking at your problem the wrong way.
It all starts with bad technique, resulting in unnecessary force being inflicted onto the cymbal in a way it can't handle, so it cracks. Then you think "maybe I need thicker cymbals" and get those. The problem lies in that thicker cymbals are brittle and more prone to cracking, especially when subjected to extreme force and bad technique, thus escalating your problem of breaking cymbals.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Alright, so if my problems are resulting from bad technique - what can I do to fix it?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:37 AM

DO NOT BUY THOSE!!! They are made out of the same cheap (or cheaper) metals used on the cymbals you crack now. Its just a powder coat of TI. Also they sound pretty bad. The hihats are really tight sounding, I know a studio owner who LOVES them and tries to get everyone to use them. But any ways yeah, they don't sound very good. Also most retailers used to sell them for like $399.99 two years ago.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

here is a favor you will thank us of later...and all your audience.....

DO NOT BUY THOSE!!!

they sound like crap...the ride is like wayyyy too much ping...hats sound tight(like danimals said)..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 PM

first thing- technique. you say you're playing heavier music styles, which usually means in most cases that you're holding the stick too hard, hitting the cymbals dead-on when the proper way to strike a cymbal is with a "sweeping" motion, if you will. i don't know how you play though. looser grip, hit the cymbals offset.

secondly- titaniums are sh*t cymbals, and 500 bucks for that cymbal pack isn't a good deal. $900 is bending someone over. you can find zildjian a cymbal packs for 500 dollars. i've seen some a custom cymbal packs for around that much as well. you have the world at your fingertips, search for the deals online.

as much as i love the people at my local shops, they usually don't have the best deals. they are still better than guitar center's though.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 PM

DON'T GET THEM! I tried them a few years ago and it sounds weird! If i were you, I'll get an A Zildjian or A Customs that are about $500-700 and I bet you it will sound way much better than those ZXT's.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

I'd highly recommend getting used cymbals. You can pretty much get anything you're after used, just make sure you check what you're buying first. ZXT Titaniums are not a good deal and the re-sale value will be far less than half of what you pay. The 'rock' hi-hats do sound pretty good I must admit, but don't get the set. I made the same mistake and was convinced by a shop salesman to get some. Check ebay and other websites etc and you'll find some great cymbals at much better prices.

Tom
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Total agreement here...they sound horrid. I would suggest searching the boards for proper cymbal technique. Although I would stay away from thin cymbals, you should be fine with medium. Is there any way you can afford lessons from a decent teacher?

As far as being able to afford new cymbals, eBay is virtual playground for good deals on great cymbals.

Good luck.
[philippians 4:13]
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Even at $500, it's not a good deal. Plus ZXTs are on the verge of becoming extinct. Literally.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM

As the story goes the ZXT Titanium line (which has been discontinued) may have been one of the many reasons for the Zildjian brothers fight, and the resulting creation of "Sabian" by the brother that didn't want to produce cheap crap. However, while the ZXT are certainly classic cymbals, and their value seems inflated, I recently bought a "lot" of drums that included all the cymbals from the $500 pack plus an 8 splash, from a drummer who used oak tree trunks for drum sticks! anyway, i played a folk gig last night. my kit was Gretsch RB COB snare; SSB Rosewoopd Floor Tom; Tama Titan Hi-Hat. The 14" ZXT Hi-Hat Cymbals worked well with the brushes - very bright as did the other ZXT 16" crash, and 18" A Zildjian. I wanted to make sure the 2 magnificent female vocals were featured, in addition to the 2 acoustic guitars and 1 violin. I also wanted to make sure everyone - especially the musicians that I didn't want to drown - were able to "get" the work I was doing on the hi-hat, because although I was using brushes, I was tearing up with stick work in some places. The result was pleasing. The ZXT's really cut. They have an amazing brush response that seems to be lost in what was a rock marketing failure!
It is also worth noting that I basically stole a lot of drums equipment from the guy I bought the equipment from. I would recommend these used for the right price to anyone whose doesn't hit hard. Hitting hard could cause them to break, or break your ears, or both!

Last edited by Mick; 05-17-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: HTML CODE
Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 PM

I had them and i hated them. Luckily i traded everyone out, but i strongly recommend not getting them!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I haven't gotten a chance to play them, but in my current situation, I can't really afford to be picky.
With all due respect, if funds are scarce, you really can't afford not to be picky. Tis better to spend 500 on some cymbals that you like than cymbals you don't like, right? Also NEVER buy a cymbal without playing it.

If you forget the Titaniums right now, and never think about them again...we'll forgive you.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

If you want to see my reaction to ZXT Titanium Cymbals, I recommend looking at my current avatar.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 AM

too brilliant for me...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Eugh, ZXT titaniums are atrocious. Hats sound good, but crash and ride are very, a
VERY brittle. They won't help your cymbal cracking problems.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Holy thread revival..............