DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 PM

Default Drum Rack

Well, I'm new to the forum, and i haven't been playing for long, but I know alot about the technical aspects of drumming. One thing I'm unsure of is drum racks though. I know that they are used to save the hassle of having to use stands, which take up alot of space. But if I bought a drum rack system, I would still need to buy cymbal arms, correct?

From what I understand, the only reason for having a rack system is to save you space. At first, I thought it was to save money, but where i'm from, cymbal arms cost about the same as stands. Anyways, if anyone can comment on anything else that might help me decide to buy one, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of getting the Pearl DR-503, for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's Pearl, so you know it should be good. Secondly, its square, which seems really helpful for what i'm aiming for in terms of setup. Lastly, its got pretty good reviews from people, and is cheap. If anyone has any thoughts on the DR-503 then i'd also be grateful for their insight.

Thanks in advance

;)
Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Drum Rack

I have a 501 and it does me well with three toms and four cymbal arms on it. I think that its easier to arrange my drums with the rack as opposed to stands. I had everything on stands and I changed. However its not cheaper. Four stands were cheaper than the rack and clamps. Whether I need a rack for my application or not, I prefer it. I have included a photo of each for you to see.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

if your gigging alot, and have alot of pieces to put on the rack, the rack is the way to go...but if your just wanting it at home, and stuff like that, i would personally go with the stands...
cause like me, if i were to play a rock gig, i would use most all of my drums and cymbals, so i would use the rack...but when i play a country gig, its going to look stupid using a rack with 1 cymbal and 1 tom...

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

I had the DR-100, which is the granddaddy to the Icon. Great rack. Bought it used for $100. Gigged with it for over 10 years. My lead singer (in one band) would sit on a corner of the rack (during guitar solo's and stuff). Strong. Yes. Racks are great if you play lots of 1 hr. gig/time slots. 5 minute set up/tear down. More time to rock 'n' roll. As far as saving space. I've been on stages so small my rack wouldn't fit. So having both a rack and stands, mo' better. Hard to leave half the rack behind. I used all 7/8" cymbal arm/booms, which fit my Pearl clamps, and fit my Yamaha/Kima triple mounts. Thinking a little ahead like that means you can use the same tom holders and cymbal arms in your rack and on your stands. Welcome to DrummerWorld.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks alot to everyone who replied. Really helpful. I think i'm going to get the DR-503, but from what I've heard, it comes with clamps, and you need to buy more when you need to fit more things.

So it looks like I'm going to end up buying the rack, then cymbal arms for cymbals, then more clamps to fit everything. I can see what you mean when you said that its definitely not cheaper. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

do you have any stands ATM?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Pioneer Member

I've used the 503C rack for a couple years now, and LOVE it. It's stood up against constant gigging and abuse. I ended up using half rack arms and half of the arms from my regular Pearl stands.