DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 AM

Default Cymbal Crowns

Hey guys, I've recently seen these little things called "Cymbal Crowns." I've recently found out that I like having my cymbals move rather freely in the stand, but I don't want them to be rubbing up against any metal. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these and what people think of them.

http://
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cymbal Crowns

Hey guys, I've recently seen these little things called "Cymbal Crowns." I've recently found out that I like having my cymbals move rather freely in the stand, but I don't want them to be rubbing up against any metal. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these and what people think of them

They blow. When they first came out I bought a set, none of them lasted and some broke the first gig. They were replaced under warranty and even the replacements didn't last. Company said (was hoping) they were defective. Unless there's been some big changes in the material, these are weak, especially with heavier cymbals like tilted rides.

If you need free-balling cymbals, use a cymbal-mate without a felt on top of the cymbal. When Tama introduce the 'cymbal mate' (pic) it had a round top, not this lame wing-nut design. I don't know why they switched, (manufacture made the change?) round was so much easier/faster to get on and off, all you had to do is get it in the U of your thumb and first finger and move your hand back and forth alternating your grip, took only seconds. Wing-nut implies tightening strength, which you don't really need with a cymbal mate, you need speed. The wing-nut shape on these makes them way slow. Hope someone from Tama reads this.

Would never buy the crowns again, I think I have 1 somewhere (a replacement), its a waste putting it on a stand knowing it will fail and the cymbal hit the floor. Not recomended.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

These "cymbal crowns" work pretty good ... but you've got to have good posture.

Seriously, if you want more freedom in your cymbal's movement, I don't know why you need any special apparatus. Simply remove the top cymbal felt and make sure that your cymbal sleeve is long enough to keep the wing nut away from the cymbal as it moves. I share about this on DCTV this week ... "The Care & Feeding of Cymbals".

Also, you could try the Aquarian Cymbal Springs. I personally use the heavy spring, but only on my China cymbal. I don't care for all the movement that the medium spring gives. It's up to you and what you like. Might be worth checking out and experimenting.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:56 AM

You can still get the round Tama cymbal mates. Google cymbal mates and it will show stores that carry them. I got mine recently from Same Day Music.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Doc Yak View Post
You can still get the round Tama cymbal mates. Google cymbal mates and it will show stores that carry them. I got mine recently from Same Day Music.
Sorta kinda, but not the same animal. These are basically wing nut replacers, not the all-in-one type sleve and top together. Now if'n long left was shaped like tiny right, then's a winner. Use to could get'm like the one on the left with a round top.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a hard won solution. The Plastic mucks up a grinder wheel nicely. Beter than wing nut design, though not as fast as the shankless mate with knobby edge.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

I'll agree with Les, the old style Tama "cymbal mate" was way better than the current design. That was back in the early 80's, but that's the way it goes. Sometimes "change" is not for the better.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'll agree with Les, the old style Tama "cymbal mate" was way better than the current design. That was back in the early 80's, but that's the way it goes. Sometimes "change" is not for the better.

When I was using Tama Stands, I noticed that in the early to mid 1990s, the cymbal mate had a coating which was wearing off....did any of you have this problem? I also remember looking at a Tama catalog as a kid and being just glued to all the pictures of their cool hardware.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw