DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Is EMAD designed to reduce bounce?

What would have been more appropriate to say...

Is anyone else having problems getting their EMAD batter to give enough bounce?

I bring my cobras to other drums frequently, and every time I do, I'm faced with great rebound that allows me to play double bass significantly faster. It's kind of frustrating when my best DB playing is done away from home and when I return, I'm hit with this lifeless rebound. (I have tried different tunings, no luck)
I may just try the SK2 if I can't find a solution.

A side note I might as well mention, where can I get replacement springs for my cobras, the springs have fatigued to the point where even max tension is fluff.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Is EMAD designed to reduce bounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
What would have been more appropriate to say...

Is anyone else having problems getting their EMAD batter to give enough bounce?

I bring my cobras to other drums frequently, and every time I do, I'm faced with great rebound that allows me to play double bass significantly faster. It's kind of frustrating when my best DB playing is done away from home and when I return, I'm hit with this lifeless rebound. (I have tried different tunings, no luck)
I may just try the SK2 if I can't find a solution.

A side note I might as well mention, where can I get replacement springs for my cobras, the springs have fatigued to the point where even max tension is fluff.
I've never encountered this with my EMADs, though I do use the 2 ply version. Maybe this makes a difference? The SK2 is deader feeling and deader sounding too, I wouldn't recommend it... If you've tried tuning higher and that still doesn't work... maybe you resonant head port hole is too big? Did the other kick drums you played on have ports (If your's does, I mean)? Porting the reso head takes away a lot of rebound, of course, because there is so much less back pressure. The larger the hole, the less rebound. Also, if the hole is in the center, there will be a greater difference in rebound. How about reso head, too? For me, the best sounding and feeling head combo is an EMAD2 clear with an Aquarian regulator reso with a 4" port hole. I can't find a combo that sounds even close to this and I've tried ever head out there other than Evans' EQ line.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

I don't have a port, nor did any of the other drums I've played recently. So I guess that can't be the problem:S By the way, I should have said my EMAD2, it's two ply, my mistake.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
I don't have a port, nor did any of the other drums I've played recently. So I guess that can't be the problem:S By the way, I should have said my EMAD2, it's two ply, my mistake.
What kind of reso head are you using and what size bass drum? Is it a decent kit? Have you messed with the tuning of both heads? Which foam ring are you using? Anything inside the drum?

I use the larger foam ring on a 22x18 virgin Peal Masters birch kick with nothing inside, Aquarian Regulator reso with a 4" port, both heads tuned medium low. Great thump with good rebound. Maybe it's a defective head. Try another one.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

i use an emad2 and yeah they have little to no bounce, now i cant play with too much bounce or it messes up my stroke lol.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:13 AM

I logged on today looking for a thread on EMAD2 because I'm having the exact same problem.

Most of my practice is done weekends and evenings on the kit at the church because I live in an apartment. I bring my own pedal. Same size bass drums, both have ported reso heads, 10 lugs. The difference is the church kit has the stock batter head.

I get much more rebound and noticeably faster and stronger response on things such as heel toe on the other bass drum than my own.

I too will try tightening up the EMAD2 (although this didn't work for you). Maybe I need to try a different head.

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest, but to answer your original question - Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Ideas?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I logged on today looking for a thread on EMAD2 because I'm having the exact same problem.

Most of my practice is done weekends and evenings on the kit at the church because I live in an apartment. I bring my own pedal. Same size bass drums, both have ported reso heads, 10 lugs. The difference is the church kit has the stock batter head.

I get much more rebound and noticeably faster and stronger response on things such as heel toe on the other bass drum than my own.

I too will try tightening up the EMAD2 (although this didn't work for you). Maybe I need to try a different head.

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest, but to answer your original question - Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Ideas?
Derek, same story here. I switch between a PS 3 and an Emad2 for sound mainly. The EMAD sounds great but is definitely less bouncy than the PS 3. I'm not happy tuning the EMAD too tight either (.. it sounds too thin & weird to me). Ya, would be nice to get the same sound with the head holding up a touch firmer.

Last edited by aydee; 05-26-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The EMAD isn't designed to affect response, it's strictly a resonance control system.

I love them - been using the regular EMADs since they came out - and have never felt a reduced rebound or other undesirable effects.

Bermuda
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Derek, same story here. I switch between a PS 3 and an Emad2 for sound mainly. The EMAD sounds great but is definitely less bouncy than the PS 3. I'm not happy tuning the EMAD too tight either (.. it sounds too thin & weird to me). Ya, would be nice to get the same sound with the head holding up a touch firmer.
Yeah, I love the deep punchy sound of my bass drum with the EMAD2 on it, and others comment on it too. I don't want to "crank up" the head much at all because like you said, it'll kill the sound.

I guess I'll play with the tension a little, but probably will end up buying another head.