DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 AM

Default I'm looking for a professional microphone set, what would you recommend?

Hi fellow drummers, I'm looking for a professional microphone set (bd, snare, toms and overheads), the money isn't an issue, so what mics would you recommend? I've seen Phil Rudd using individual mics for his cymbals, but does that offer a considerable advantage over traditional overheads? (I'm not on a budget, however I guess buying one mic per cymbal would be VERY expensive)

Also I'd like to know suggestions concerning a good but small mixer (easy to carry), I want to be able to set my sound exactly as I like it and then send the stereo mix to the main mixer or directly to the PA speakers, I think 10-12 channels would be ok.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I'm looking for a professional microphone set, what would you recommend?

How great is this 'the money isn't an issue, I'm not on a budget,' statement? If its great, hire a soundman for the band, preferably one who also plays drums. Once you send your sub-mix baby to the mains, its all up to FOH (Mains) persons descretion, as it should be.

So is it a total waste to think that if you 'do it all yourself' it'll sound exactly how you like it out front? Yes. Its not impossible to mix behind the drums, its just simply impossible to mix 'correctly' from behind the drums... unless its you the drummer doing a solo act. I don't care how many sound gigs you've done, you'll be in the dark as to what you sound like out front once the show begins. Seperate mic's for everything and your own sub-mix? Add some big minutes to your normal set-up time, expect shit to happen. Believe me, Phil Rudd (and anyone else that can afford it) has a qualified person doing his sound.

If you don't have a soundman, go minimal-Kick, snare two over heads. Have someone play on your drums while you mix/EQ out front. Once you 'get it', settings will 'usually' repeat room to room with only minor level seetings needed.

What main board/mixer does your band use? Your little sub mixer should (ultimately) be mucho compatable.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Re: I'm looking for a professional microphone set, what would you recommend?

I already know all what you say. Usually I ask a friend to play the drums while I equalize the sound at the main mixer. What I want is to set the sound of my drums in place so it can pass relatively flat through the main mixer.

Besides, I plan to start making some home recordings, so I need a mixer not only for gigging. I've been researching on the web and found the Yamaha N12 which is pretty the kind of mixer/multitrack recorder I need.

Basically, I'd like to hear suggestions for mics, there are a lot of models so it's hard to narrow down choices based solely on the description the manufacturers put on their webpages.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Overheads- AKG C1000 (pair)
Bass- AKG D112
Snare- Shure SM57 both on batter and resonant

I just did a recording session but have yet to get the mic list. Tomorrow i'll post what I used....the combo is absoluetly amazing!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

right now i'm working with an AKG D112, SM-57 snare, and Senheiser 604's on snare and around the toms.
for overheads i'm experimenting with Sterling Audio ST44's (a fairly new brand, but they blow just about every other mic i've ever used under $1200 completley out of the water. As overheads they are great, but for micing and acoustic guitar, I have never heard a mic ever that sounded so good without and effects or mixing)

i'm pretty happy with this combo, although the ST44's are tube mics so they have separate preamps. The ST31 and ST33 are equally as good though and they are just standard condenser mics.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Check out the Dave Weckl CD, How To Develop Your Sound. He goes into great detail about the types of mikes he uses and the Yamaha mixer he uses.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Have you ever checked out Audix microphones? They're insanely awesome! So are Rode microphones. Right now, I'm using this setup for live and studio gigs...

kick AKG D112
snare Shure SM-57
10" tom Audix D-1
12" tom Audix D-2
14" tom Audix D-2
16" tom Audix D-4
Live OH AKG C1000s (pair)
Studio OH Rode NT1000 (pair)

Also, I'm a fan of Carvin mixers and powered mixers. They're so "clean" and can intensify or attenuate just the right frequencies for drums.

If money were no concern to me, I'd get an Audix D-6 for the kick. They sound better than the AKG D112, IMHO. I've heard that the Yamaha Subkick is outstanding, but I don't have any experience with it.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Caddy has got it more or less right with the microphone choices there, Audix make excellent gear and the AKG and Rode overheads are what I would recommend without going into the 'really expensive' microphone category. As for the Carvin gear, I have no experience with any of that; so I can't confirm. Audix make great gear and the D6 is an instant classic.