DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Default REMO disappointment

I've been using Evans heads for a few years now, but wanted to try some REMO heads to see how I like the sound. I picked up a 14" coated Ambassador for my OCDP snare. It would not tune to save my life, no matter what I did it sounded like a choked tom-ish sound. I thought that it might've been the new Puresound snare wires I picked up, but when I switched the snare wires between my OCDP and another drum, it turned out that it was a bum drumhead. Not exactly a "great first impression" for REMO - especially since in 5-6 years of playing Evans, I've NEVER had a bum head from them. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: REMO disappointment

Yes.

I used Remo religiously for a lot of years. To tell you the truth, I was afraid to try anything else. I thought pulled apart heads was common for all. Turns out, it was mostly just the Remo coated reverse-dots I had been using. I never realized how tough a head could be till I switched to Evans. I've been using Genre HD's and Dry HD's with clears for my toms instead of Remo Clear Pinstripes. Sounds is better, durability is rediculous, price is easily comparable if not better. Certainly makes every penny spent, worth it.

I recently saw a kit in GC that was fitted with Remo Weatherkings with Black Suede's and Black "X" on the snare. Sounded good and I must admit, looked great (IMO)...just the whole durability thing. After so many years and not having heard anything about Remo having a revolution in quality...I don't know if I could feel secure about re-fitting my kit with them.

Just my .02
Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
RiseandFall

Nope, and many others here will agree. Remo does have it's problems, but Coated Ambassadors aren't one of them. That is one head from Remo you can always count on being perfect.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseandFall View Post
Remo does have it's problems, but Coated Ambassadors aren't one of them. That is one head from Remo you can always count on being perfect.
Haha if I can always count on it being perfect, why did I have to start this thread in the first place? :-P
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudiophobe View Post
I've been using Evans heads for a few years now, but wanted to try some REMO heads to see how I like the sound. I picked up a 14" coated Ambassador for my OCDP snare. It would not tune to save my life, no matter what I did it sounded like a choked tom-ish sound. I thought that it might've been the new Puresound snare wires I picked up, but when I switched the snare wires between my OCDP and another drum, it turned out that it was a bum drumhead. Not exactly a "great first impression" for REMO - especially since in 5-6 years of playing Evans, I've NEVER had a bum head from them. Has anyone else had this problem?
Nope I've played remo heads for 30 yrs. and never got a bum head I guess you're the lucky one.

Bonzolead
Old 05-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Never had a problem w/ the quality or tone of Remo's. Having said that, I made the switch to Evans because I found they lasted 10x longer...espeically the coating on snare batters.

I'm pretty sure Remo is number 1 in the drumming world for a reason. Sorry about your ambassador!
[philippians 4:13]
Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 PM

This being your first Remo...did you properly crack it? The glue, I mean? Properly stretch it and fit it?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Yep. I've used one or two here and there to replace drumheads on some friends' kits in college and whatnot, so I guess it's not TECHNICALLY my first time using REMO (just the first time on my own gear). To the best of my knowledge, I did all the normal stretching/seating that I would've done for any head.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinDown View Post
This being your first Remo...did you properly crack it? The glue, I mean? Properly stretch it and fit it?
Used to have to go through a push-press, tighten press, listen for the cracking on the glue seam, push on the head, blah blah blah with Remo's.

The beautiful thing about Evans (and other companies nowadays) there is no glue-cracking procedure...at least, not one that I follow.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Iv''e been around the block with this one. IMO Remo stock heads that come with new kits are OK. Not great but OK. I have tried Evans G2, Evans, EC2 on my Yamaha Absolutes and could not get the sound I was looking for. I went with some Remo coated Ambassadors on my toms and snare and the sound of my kit is great. I also use Remo clear Emperors on my toms at times and they are also great sounding. Another older Yamaha kit I have, I have tried Aquarian coated satin and Aquarian super 2's and they sound too dry (papery) almost. I also tried the Evans G2'S on the same kit and the 10" tom was not happy with this head. I'm back to Remo. Sorry about your Ambassador.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
RiseandFall

Quote:
Haha if I can always count on it being perfect, why did I have to start this thread in the first place? :-P
99% of the time it's user error.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Stretching and seating a head should be the same no matter what brand you're using. If you think you "cracked" the head correctly, then it just may be a case of a defective head, which stinks. I never personally came accross a defective head, but i've only been playing for about 3 1/2 years - apparently they're out there!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinDown View Post
Stretching and seating a head should be the same no matter what brand you're using. If you think you "cracked" the head correctly, then it just may be a case of a defective head, which stinks. I never personally came accross a defective head, but i've only been playing for about 3 1/2 years - apparently they're out there!
When I seat heads (Evans), they don't crack.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

All my evans heads have been going strong for over a year, the center of the snare is still white :S

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
All my evans heads have been going strong for over a year, the center of the snare is still white :S
Oh man I wish my heads lasted that long. Not that I play like a gorilla or anything, but my band rehearses 14 solid hours a week, plus my own practice. Thankfully the Evans heads have been so durable for me. My EC2 tom heads will become dull after a month or so, but for as hard as I work those babies, I really can't complain. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I wanted to try REMO in the first place. :S
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
When I seat heads (Evans), they don't crack.
That's because Evans heads don't have any glue to crack. Crack may be the wrong word to use, but that's sure what it sounds like! Fairly sure Remo is the only big gun out there that still uses glue. Not sure about aquarian...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Evean's had their day, lots of us can remember when they had 'resin issues' and everybodies new and cool ST Dry's were 'pulling-out' right out of the box. They had a massive 'no questions asked' return/replace policy going then to try and save their ass. It hurt them for awhile. Hordes gave up on Evans when that episode happened, no one wanted to chance it. They issued statements (apologies) to dealers, they blew it with a batch of resin. This never happened to Remo.

Evans is still on the resin (glue) train. Bob Gatzen may help convince them to go crimp collar (he needs to do something there). Makes environmental sense and will save them money. Resin is inconsistant, or at least can be...moreso than anything else that makes up a drum head. Resin doesn't age well either (at least the older than 'today' stuff), so if you're looking at used or NOS (new old stock) heads, stay away from any whos' resin has turned yellow(ish), its old and will probably fail, real easy. Look for the resin to be as clear as possible on older heads.

That cracking you hear is the mylar being pulled away from the last little bit of resin at the top of the inside collar, you can usually see it riding up the mylar on clear heads. Ludwig, Attack and others use crimp, no resin.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I have never had this problem with Remo and have used them for 23 years (has been that long - wait a decimal point has to be missing). I also want to take a second and address a phenomenon which is occurring and that is only described as " Let's bash Remo because they have been around and are quite successful.". This seems to be most prevalent at Guitar Center by sales clerks who keep trying to get me to buy the overpriced, overhyped, and over-rated Aquarian Superkick head. Furthermore, when one of my buddies, who is an older gentleman and an old-school country player, went there, that was what they wanted to sell him for his 24" Ludwig Stainless steel drum. He called me and I redirected him to a more appropriate store with a clerk who wasn't just trying to sell him the "flavor of the month". And being fair, no drumhead is a "one size fits all" whether it is an Emad, Superkick, or Powerstroke 3. It was more appropriate for me to suggest to my buddy what would probably suit him best. He went with a clear Powerstroke 3 and that Kick drum sounds incredible.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 05-10-2008, 09:36 PM

I too was not happy with my Remo Coated Ambassador. Sounds like turds. My friend is letting me borrow his snare, and it's fitted with an Evans ST head. It's way more durable and way better sounding.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

I just switched from Evans to Remo on my toms after 6 years of playing only Evans. I am sticking with the coated EMAD though. I just switched to clear Emperors over Ambassadors on my birch shells and they sound great. I find they even feel a little better...I just wish I had tried them sooner. I have been using coated ambassadors on my snares for a long time too... that head is just hard to beat!!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 AM
Pioneer Member

The last time I ordered Remos was an order of Fiberskyns. I had one head that just didn't fit the drum for some reason, and another that split down the middle one random day. I've had Evans since and had no problems, other than I don't care for g2s. I still have Fiberskyns on my snares though, but I think I'll switch to G1 Coated.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:36 AM

[quote=Skitch;437887] This seems to be most prevalent at Guitar Center by sales clerks who keep trying to get me to buy the overpriced, overhyped, and over-rated Aquarian Superkick head.

I went into GC to pick up an EMAD 2 for my 22" and the salesperson showed me a few kits that had the SKII on it. Then some comparable kits that had the EMAD...i really liked the SKII on the larger drums and liked the EMAD on the smaller bass drums. So I thought to myself, "this guy is doing a really good job of convincing me to try the more expensive head." Then I noticed that the Aquarian was $7 cheaper than the Evan...I thought that was pretty cool. I really do like the SKII on my kick. Liked the EMAD on there as well. And I liked the Remo PSIII on my old kick...I guess I"m not too picky afterall, haha.

Skitch, what about the Superkick do you think is over-rated?