DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Default dRUM STICK RECOMMENDATIONS, ANYONE?

I have been having problems lately with sticks that either break too easily, have little or no grip control, are too heavy, or they give off too many vibrations when i play causing my wrists to ache!!

I've spent a lot of money trying different sticks from Zildjian to Pro-mark to Vic Firth and can't find anything I like!!!

A drum tech at guitar center suggested using Wedgie drum sticks. He says they have great grip and built it powerbands to help control vibrations. BUT before I invest in another pair of sticks, can anyone tell me what their experience has been?

are wedgie drumsticks any good?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Re: dRUM STICK RECOMMENDATIONS, ANYONE?

I dont know about the Wedgies
But I've mostley played on Pro Mark 5A
First time I tried them I knew that those were the sticks for me.
Lasts long, Not heavy, No vibrations, And nice grip

But the selection of sticks is very personal, Like wich type of clothes you prefer
Pro Mark 5A
Old 05-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Choosing a stick is like choosing a pair of shoes, what might feel good to me won't feel good to you. What size sticks are you using and how long are they lasting before they break. Can you post a pic of your kit to see how your drums and cymbals are setup? I've played pro mark 747 for a decade and never had a problem same with the 5A's from pro mark I started using a year ago. Allot of the times breaking sticks has to do with your technique and hitting extremely hard.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummin_paul View Post
I have been having problems lately with sticks that either break too easily, have little or no grip control, are too heavy, or they give off too many vibrations when i play causing my wrists to ache!!
Hornets are built to address all those issues. I've been using them for well over a year now and I really like them.
They're not cheap, but they're great sticks. (actually, they're no more expensive than other double-ended sticks, plus you get all the other design perks)
Old 05-02-2008, 06:57 PM

I would try like vic firth 7A's if you haven't and build up from there, depending on the type of music you play you might get some bigger sticks. But, I vary what I use I use 7A or 5A for jazz and rock is the 5B to 2B sizes.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
When your grip fails you or when you get "stick shock" it's NEVER the sticks. Those things are a result of your hand technique and development. Don't buy some marketing hype like "Anti-Vibe" sticks. They are a cop-out.

Here's some good advice:

It's not the stick,
it's not the pedal,
it's not the drumset.
The entire source of it all is YOU.

Practice, practice, practice is the answer.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Regal Tip Jeff Pocaro Sig.
Really nice, has anyone else used these?

http://i28.tinypic.com/nzk211.gif
My dream Cymbal set up
Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Mystic

Yea anti vibe sticks suck, I hated my pair
Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
When your grip fails you or when you get "stick shock" it's NEVER the sticks. Those things are a result of your hand technique and development. Don't buy some marketing hype like "Anti-Vibe" sticks. They are a cop-out.

Here's some good advice:

It's not the stick,
it's not the pedal,
it's not the drumset.
The entire source of it all is YOU.

Practice, practice, practice is the answer.
Practice, practice... but with the right technique. Practice with the wrong technique will just make you wrists ache still!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've spent a lot of money trying different sticks from Zildjian to Pro-mark to Vic Firth and can't find anything I like!!!

A drum tech at guitar center suggested using Wedgie drum sticks. He says they have great grip and built it powerbands to help control vibrations. BUT before I invest in another pair of sticks, can anyone tell me what their experience has been?

are wedgie drumsticks any good?

Wooden drumsticks vibrate according to how their hit. You can control vibration by selective impact. For 2 easy payments of $49.99* you too can have the seceret. Today only, in a show my sincere appreciation to all Drummerworld forum readers, I'll explain it all for free! Read below. Sub-theme: a drumstick is a one-dimensional violin. Well, sort of...a drumstick never hits in the same position, so it never vibrates (consistantly) like a Violin.

Here's a skill that'll be very beneficial for all to master. Your common every day hickory drumstick has the ability to not transmit vibrations, its 'all' in how you strike the stick. When you strike the stick 'through' the grain, you transmit the most vibration. When you strike the stick 'across' the (side of) grain, you get very low-zero vibration. Sounds easy? Its a thin line, a difficult challenge to pull this off for any lenght of time, easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle and so we get stuff like Zildjian Anti-Vibes (which actually work quite well, though you lose bounce). Worth 2 payments of $49.99*? Yours free!!!

Take a breath, It gets technical here people. Look at your stick, notice the 'flame' of the grain about 2 centimeters down from the tip? With that 'flame' in the up position, your looking 'through' the grain. This 'flame' extends all the way from the bottom of the stick, to the tip. Now, turn the stick sideways. See the straight lines of grain again from tip to bottom? . You're now looking 'across' the grain. This can truely be called 'The promised land' ladies and worms. The land that vibration forgot... or at least isn't happy to cross anyway. That's right, everytime you strike your stick on top of the grain you're getting 'flamed' (ouch!!!) . Not convinced? Take the flame test below.

Flame Test:
Hold your sticks loosely with just your thumb and first two fingers. Strike the sticks together. Feel the burn? Now rotate the sticks between your fingers after each strike and eventually you'll feel the spot where there's (very) low to no vibration being transmited through one, or both the sticks. Hold that spot in the rotation and look at the position of the grain of each stick where they contact. When both sticks meet together at 'The promised land', a feeling of peace/calm overcomes the body... no vibration. Strike the sticks on their respective 'flames' (on top of the grain) and 'the winds of Thor are blowing cold'.

Its a thin line, a difficult challenge to pull this off for any lenght of time. Easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle... and so we get stuff like Zildjian Anti-Vibes (which actually work quite well, though you lose bounce), Wedgies and the lot. It really is the sticks and it really is your technique, one happens to be easier to change than the other. Like Jeff Alyemda said, Practice, practice, practice is the answer.

Pic's below are not of drumsticks, but are meant to convey what you see on a Hickory stick. *offer void in your area.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 05-07-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: ~^~
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM

WOW! thanks to EVERYONE for their awesome advice!! I will definately take it all into consideration. This forum is great, I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Practice is essential and I will try different techniques but I am still intrigued by specialty sticks. not sure why lol
Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Practice is essential and I will try different techniques but I am still intrigued by specialty sticks. not sure why lol
because you understand the reality of the situation; the right technique is important, so is the right tool. There's no reason not to find the tool you are most comfortable with. That's why there's such a variety of sticks available, you are allowed (and encouraged) to find the design which is most comfortable and efficient for your style and enjoyment.

I like the shoe simile. Find what fits you.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Gold Member

AHEAD STICKS

As much as some people may not like them, they will stop the the pain in your wrists. They are all I use now and I no longer have any problems or pain in my hands or wrists.