DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Do you like TAMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
Sorry, I'm turning into a bit of a Sonor geek...
hahaha I don't blame you. Mr. SQ2....
Old 07-20-2008, 01:22 AM

Yep . . im a Ludwig man, Never ahd anything else . . But ever since i saw the white pearl with silver stripe through the middle (Bubinga), i was sold . . thats my next set of tubs.
They look amazing, sound, well the best in the buisness.
Great ;-)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 AM

Yeah... Tama makes great stuff. I own a 6 piece Starclassic Performer and it sounds fantastic. Whole kit sounds nice n' fat and warm. (even the 10" tom.)
Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Another satisfied Tama owner, here. If my Superstars are typical of what rolls off their assembly line, their quality control is excellent. Hardware, fit and finish are all first rate. No "dead" toms, either.

I have to wonder, though... (as I reach for my squeeze bottle of charcoal lighter fluid to squirt the flames...)

How many of us could walk into a gig or a recording studio BLINDFOLDED and tell what brand of drums were being used, given no information except what we heard with our ears? How many think they could tell maple from birch under the same circumstances?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
I like Tama. They are probably the best drums for your money. I think the Rockstar is an awesome beginners kit for the money. Starclassics are a fantastic value, too. The hardware is rock solid, and they make the best hi-hat stand around.
AND the stock evans heads are the best on the market.
Agreed Dont forget about Mapex and Sonor.But Tama paved the way with cheaper mid level drum kits. I went to a reggae gig the other night and the drum kit sounded epic in an un-miced room.went to go discuss his beautiful starclassic and guess what...it was aRockstar.
As for the argument about the toms sounding dead is'nt that just the Die cast rims)? i've loved the sound of Tama toms i've ever heard recorded and live. It to me is a very signature sound.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post

I have to wonder, though... (as I reach for my squeeze bottle of charcoal lighter fluid to squirt the flames...)

How many of us could walk into a gig or a recording studio BLINDFOLDED and tell what brand of drums were being used, given no information except what we heard with our ears? How many think they could tell maple from birch under the same circumstances?
Amen! That's my point, too. Pride in ownership is an underrated factor for fans of drum brands. Many of us want "Brand X" to sound better than anything else so we think that it does. No harm done, but it seems to blur the line between pro-level ply drums.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 07-21-2008, 03:41 PM

the first image in this thread might just be the most beautiful fade i have ever seen,
Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

I love Tama. When I was growing up, I had a set of Pearl Exports (still have them as my practice kit, actually). It was what I had, so I loved it, and having them from an early age, I developed some fierce brand loyalty. Then I got to middle school and we got a brand new Tama. I fell in love. When I started playing professionally, I needed to move on from the Exports, so I got a Tama Superstar. I then sold it and got a new Pacific kit, and even though I love how my Pacifics sound, I have missed having a Tama ever since. I was made an incredible offer on a new Tama Superstar EFX, and I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to take it, and start using it as my main gigging kit, because I really miss the feel of solidness that Tama has, and I love their sound (although I agree with the "blindfold" discussion...I have played a ton of kits in my day, and have always been able to get them to sound exactly how I like them).

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 AM

The biggest factor in how any kit sounds is the person on the throne behind it. Give me a $10,000 kit, and it will sound like a $10,000 piece of trash. I've had one professional play my Superstars and guess what? They sounded bloody amazing.

I'm not saying there is no such thing as quality; I've lived long enough to know that as a general rule, you get what you pay for. But in the end, it's all about the rhythm, not the stuff.

This point has been driven home to me in studying West African and Middle Eastern percussion. Time and again I've seen a student say, "There's something wrong with my drum. It doesn't sound right." And the instructor takes that drum, plays it, makes it sing, hands it back, and says "Your drum is fine. It's your technique." And everyone watching gets the point, because that same drum sounded like two totally different instruments in the hands of two different players.

You have to know the craft before you can really know quality in the instrument. For me, I think it will be a long, long time before I "outgrow" the Superstars. They look, feel and sound great, and the hardware seems like it would survive a nuclear holocaust.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 AM

Yes to everything. The interaction between the drummer and the drum is important, but so is the head selection and the care the drum has received. I can't tell you how many times I have had someone tell me their drums sound terrible or they can't keep them in tune, and I take off the heads and find a bunch of loose lugs!

Take a second and give your lugs a little attention with a good quality #2 phillips. Your drums will sound better, and they will sound better longer. While you are at it, a drop of light oil on the tension rods makes tuning easier and more precise.

And don't be afraid to experiment with heads. I had a kit years ago that sounded terrible with expensive (at the time) pinstripes. But the toms really sang with simple single ply black dots. I was just experimenting and I happened to try the heads that ended up working the best. I used those heads for the entire time I owned that set.

Like most drummers, I have heard expensive drums sound terrible, and entry level drums sound great. But when all of the planets line up properly, and you have a solid drummer with a well maintained set and the proper heads playing well, it can be magic.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM

And don't be afraid to experiment with heads.

I would if it would not cost so much....lucky for me I found out a secret. My Sonor Five Star Ebony kit that was played by thomas lang and steve smith had these two ply clear medium Attack heads with internal sound-edge. These are the most amazing heads on Sonor drums according to a dealer in florida. I intend to try them on my Signature kit as soon as the new pinstripes are wore out.

I would hedge a bet that they would be great on Tama or any other drum. They are the best heads for toms I have ever come across in 38 years.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 AM
MadMax

No...............................