DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Default Remo UT heads

Hello all,

My new kit came with Remo UT clear heads. I believe they are single ply. Anyway, my new kit sounds good with them. How much better do you think they will sound with Ambs or G1s?

Thanks for your opinions

Mike
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Remo UT heads

I replaced the UTs on my Mapex kit with Aquarian Texture Coated and there is a substantial difference. After seeing that Bob Gatzen video on resonant heads on YouTube, I now plan to replace the UT reso heads, too.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:31 PM
RiseandFall

First let me clear up any misconceptions before they are posted, which I know they will be.

The Remo UT heads are the exact same mylar used in regular Remo Ambassadors. The mylar is made in the USA by Dupont, just like Remo Weatherking heads. The only difference? The mylar is shipped to China and manufactured there. They are put into a crimplock style collar instead of a glue channel collar.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This is straight from multiple Remo sources.

They also confirmed the Remo UX heads you see on some lower ends kits are China made and produced through and through. Nothing about them is US made or similar to US made Remo heads.

My Sonor Force 3007 came with UT heads and sounded great. So many complain about them, but it's simply because they do not know how to tune. No two ways about it. They tuned up or down fine for me, sounded incredible, and lasted a long time. I switched out the UT batter for a Remo Weatherking Ambassador clear to compare both heads. The Remo USA Weatherking Ambassador clear was slightly warmer. That's it. No difference in attack or sustain.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

If they sound good on that Mapex kit, then I'd say use them till you have to replace them for sure.

G1's seem warmer than Remo's clear Ambassador, so if you like a warmer sound, the Evans is a good bet if the single ply heads hold up for ya.

Otherwise, coated Ambassadors top, clear Amb bottom will sound great on that kit when you go to replace heads.

Or the G1/G1 will just be a warmer version of the same kind of tone.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
RiseandFall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
The UT's are the cheap overseas version of the Ambassador.
They are Ambassadors with USA made Dupont mylar, they are just assembled in China with a crimplock collar.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseandFall View Post
They are Ambassadors with USA made Dupont mylar, they are just assembled in China with a crimplock collar.
Yeah, oops my bad---that's why I edited my post.

Good info RiseandFall...didn't think I waited too long to edit...less than a couple minutes, obviously I did haha!

Remo's low collar head has "TD" after the model #...maybe the "UT" is for crimp collar?

I know crimp collar heads are available as an order-able style from Remo, so it would make sense.

To me, the crimplock type collar makes a little difference in the sound too, a little brighter than the standard US Ambassador with the epoxy collar.

Ludwig's heads are brighter snare side heads compared to Remo's low collar SS head with the clear film.

Other than the collar type, they are essentially the "same" head, but the Ludwig SS head sounds a little more crisp (on my drums at least) with that crimp collar.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM

Thanks RiseandFall. Never knew that before. I do know that a little over 5 years ago the UT heads were different from ambassadors. A little thinner. Cool that that's changed.
You shouldn't change your heads unless the sound or something about them is throwing off your playing. If you had that kit shipped to you, there might have been some wear on the heads that could throw them off, but you certainly don't need to change just because of the name.