DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
fusssion

Default My Aquarian Experience

Hi Everyone...
So, it's almost time for new batter heads. So, like always I ponder what I may want/need and I got to thinking...why don't I just call Aquarian and talk to someone?

First,...I currently run Super 2 w/ studio X ring for a batter ...I have Evans Resonant Clears on my upper toms, and a G2 clear for a reso on my floor.

So, I wanted a little more resonance, but needed durability and thought that the Super 2 w/ a power dot would be a good choice. But still, I called Aquarian...

The receptionist answered and I said I had a question regarding drumhead selection, she said hold on please, ...and 10 seconds later......ROY BURNS! How cool! :)

Anyway, Roy was spectacular! He was warm, and willing to help and told me what I should do for the sound I want. He asked questions to assess the situation, and then made his suggestion. What was originally a single question for Roy, ...turned into a 12 minute conversation,...and it wasn't ME keeping him on the phone! :-)

He suggested straight Super 2 clears w/ Classic Clears on the reso,...he said...you DO NOT need a G2 on your floor tom,...not w/ CCs on the reso! SO I WENT FOR IT...they are on order, and I can't wait.

Because of this experience....I am now an Aquarian guy!! I was leaning that way, but now...after that...I'm going with them for a loooong time. That type of service and commitment is enough for me! :)

Just thought I'd share!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Re: My Aquarian Experience

I bought a 14'' Studio X for my floor tom and the head split near the bearing edge. The head was less then 3 weeks old. I sent them an e-mail asking for a replacement and Roy called me at home in less then 20 minutes and agreed to send me a new head FREE of charge. That is definitely top notch customer service when the president of the company takes the time to take care of you!!!!

Chuck
Old 04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

I use clear Super-2s on the batter and Classic Clears on the resonant for my FIBES kit; maple/gum/maple shells. They sound fantastic!

Super 2 drumheads were the answer to the now discontinued Double Thins.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

By all accounts Roy Burns does business as it should be done. Kudos to him, I wish there were more like him.

Don't care much for the heads, though--I kind of wish I did!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Roy is a fantastic guy, and his company is top notch.
I am not surprised at all about your experience.

I used to use (several different) Aquarian heads for quite a while, but when they changed the film (back about 5-6 years ago) to the warmer stuff they have now, I didn't care for the sound.

Kind of a bummer, but I've been meaning to check out the new coated head they have.

I really liked the dot heads they have, and the Single ply Coateds, but the film change wasn't favorable to me at all, so I went back to Coated Ambassadors.

I had the "new" film coated heads on my kit, and after about 4 songs in a set, the heads were all dented, and some of the coating was coming off.

I know they would have replaced them, but the denting was not good, so I think the new film wasn't as durable as the previous version.

I don't ever have any denting or coating chipping with the plain 'ol coated Ambassadors, and I dig the sound a lot, so I just stick with them.

Hope you really like those heads you ordered!!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Roy is a fantastic guy, and his company is top notch.
I am not surprised at all about your experience.

I used to use (several different) Aquarian heads for quite a while, but when they changed the film (back about 5-6 years ago) to the warmer stuff they have now, I didn't care for the sound.

Kind of a bummer, but I've been meaning to check out the new coated head they have.

I really liked the dot heads they have, and the Single ply Coateds, but the film change wasn't favorable to me at all, so I went back to Coated Ambassadors.

I had the "new" film coated heads on my kit, and after about 4 songs in a set, the heads were all dented, and some of the coating was coming off.

I know they would have replaced them, but the denting was not good, so I think the new film wasn't as durable as the previous version.

I don't ever have any denting or coating chipping with the plain 'ol coated Ambassadors, and I dig the sound a lot, so I just stick with them.

Hope you really like those heads you ordered!!
Hey Karl....
How about their new "Z-100" coating ...they're on all their coated heads....I'm using a Texture Coated w/ a power dot (snare only) head ...and it's fantastic....

Texture Coated sounds like something you may want to try 'again'....
Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, that's the head I was referring to.
The snare head at the shop seemed cool.

I just have a pretty new set of Ambassadors on my kit now, and one other set to get through before I buy any new heads.

Carmine Appice did a clinic here not too long ago, and he had one of his dot heads on the snare and it sounded really good.

I used to like that head a lot, but I always peeled the outer ring material off because it was more open that way.

I had those on my whole kit once, and they were cool....but that was before the film change....

I might even have one of those in storage somewhere, I'll look this weekend.

Yeah, the new coated Z-100 is worth a try on my 13 at least to see if I like them.

It's like drumtechdad said, kinda wish I liked the sound of the heads more...

We'll see.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome in the the great beautiful Aquarian family Fuss.

I dont have any other comment than those speaking for themself like customer service and their heads....

Great company all around.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

They are a great company! I once got a bad Performance 2. I emailed them with the problem and got a reply within a few minutes telling me to call them. I called and Roy Burns answered. He asked a few questions and I explained the problem and he sent me a new head in the mail. I just wish their products or I should say, MORE of their products were available in my local stores. The stores around me don't carry their full line.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
They are a great company! I once got a bad Performance 2. I emailed them with the problem and got a reply within a few minutes telling me to call them. I called and Roy Burns answered. He asked a few questions and I explained the problem and he sent me a new head in the mail. I just wish their products or I should say, MORE of their products were available in my local stores. The stores around me don't carry their full line.
Yep ... I have to order my stuff from my guy at GC ...and it's a pain....but worth it in the end!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Rickk

I had the same experience and Roy called me and helped me get the drums tunned perfectly in half the time I was spending trying to tune the Evans heads and they stay in tune. as for the coating I use the Texture Coated heads and the one on my second snare has the new coating Z-100 and I have had no problem with the coating at all and I play every day they are about 5 months old now and sound so good and still look new, also Aquarian has excellent customer service.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:42 PM
fusssion

Default Re: A reso question for a snare!

Hey guys...quick change of subject....without starting a new thread....I couldn't find this via search, but ....

Just to clarify, Aquarian has Classic Clears and Classic Clears for snare drums too, (thinner) yes??

I wanted to re do my reso's on my snare where I currently have a Texture Coated w/ power dot .....
Old 05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Classic Clear™ Snare Bottom: A clear, single ply, thin weight snare side drumhead.

Hi-Performance™ Snare Bottom: A clear, single ply, thin weight snare side drumhead with a special material at each end of the head where the snare wires rest. This helps to prevent punctures due to broken snare wires.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Classic Clear™ Snare Bottom: A clear, single ply, thin weight snare side drumhead.

Hi-Performance™ Snare Bottom: A clear, single ply, thin weight snare side drumhead with a special material at each end of the head where the snare wires rest. This helps to prevent punctures due to broken snare wires.

WELL...I guess that confirms it !! LOL ...thanks!! :)

I'm going to just assume that that is what Roy recommends for ALL snares? (drumkit snares)

Last edited by fusssion; 05-02-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 AM

I'm using the Jack DeJohnette signature heads on all my drums.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigdrummer26 View Post
I'm using the Jack DeJohnette signature heads on all my drums.
How you like them ?

Never experienced one, describe them yhe best you can. From what I know, they are thicker though warmer and focused versus the satin finish texture coated.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Gold Member

The crew at Aquarian is top notch!
I have been endorsing them for about a year and a 1/2 now and I am so pleased!
I met Roy and Namm this year for the first time and he was so kind and willing to spend as much time talking shop as possible.
I have been playing with the Super 2's w/ the Studio-X Ring for a while, and Classic Clears as a reso. Perfect Tom sounds. On the tour I just wraped up I used Super 2's w/ Power Dot, to get a little more life-span out of the heads, and they too sound killer.

I don't think I could ever have anything bad to say about that company.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 AM

I got a studio x the other day for my snare and it is already chipping after 1 days use. They make great heads but this is just ridiculous.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
I got a studio x the other day for my snare and it is already chipping after 1 days use. They make great heads but this is just ridiculous.
Send an email to Aquarian and tell them the problem and within a few minutes you will receive an email to call them and they will manage to find a replacement for you. You probably have an old version of the head because about a year ago they had a bad batch of coating but couldn't recall all the heads back to the manufacture.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Send an email to Aquarian and tell them the problem and within a few minutes you will receive an email to call them and they will manage to find a replacement for you. You probably have an old version of the head because about a year ago they had a bad batch of coating but couldn't recall all the heads back to the manufacture.
I just got off the phone with Mr. Roy Burns who is the President of the company. Great person and said it was probably 1 of those bad batches. He also said they switched suppliers because of this. Sending me a replacement head. Best customer service I have ever had!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Sounds really good. Going to try their force 1 base drum head and the Jack De Johnette 14" custom snare head. What is their snare resonance head like?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 AM

I had a similar situation when I bought a new snare hear and the coating started to chip off. I talked to Roy Burns the next day and he had a new head out to me the following week. I just put all new Super-2's on my Starclassic's and they sound great. Very happy with there heads and there customer service.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

I only play brands that offer me a high service standard aswell.

Everybody makes decent stuff these days, but the people that go the extra mile deserve my business - And that for me means Sonor, Sabian, ProMark and Aquarian - Companies which have great product but are ALSO customer service leaders.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
Sounds really good. Going to try their force 1 base drum head and the Jack De Johnette 14" custom snare head. What is their snare resonance head like?
Two version, Classic clear snare side which is 3 mil thick and Hi-Performance which is near the same of classic clear but has two little reenforcement patch a both end where the snare strand edge touch the head which prevent them to pierce the head.

I've heard that Hi-Frequency could be also a reso alternative if you want you reso coated.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Two version, Classic clear snare side which is 3 mil thick and Hi-Performance which is near the same of classic clear but has two little reenforcement patch a both end where the snare strand edge touch the head which prevent them to pierce the head.

I've heard that Hi-Frequency could be also a reso alternative if you want you reso coated.
Does the two little re-enforcement patches cause any change to the sound? Saying that, cant find anywhere in the UK that stocks it so may just stick with the classic clear.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM

I was already thinking about checking out their super kick 2 the next time I needed a new bass drum head. Now after all of this positive feedback, I'm gonna have to check em out sooner for snare heads.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
Does the two little re-enforcement patches cause any change to the sound? Saying that, cant find anywhere in the UK that stocks it so may just stick with the classic clear.

Thanks for the advice.
It shouldn't change the sound at all.

Anyway, no problem for helping you or others, anything I can do to promote their heads.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomos View Post
I was already thinking about checking out their super kick 2 the next time I needed a new bass drum head. Now after all of this positive feedback, I'm gonna have to check em out sooner for snare heads.
What is the sound you're looking for ? Many love their SuperKick II but not all dig into that pre-muffled focused & controlled sound.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
What is the sound you're looking for ? Many love their SuperKick II but not all dig into that pre-muffled focused & controlled sound.
I like as open of a sound as I can get by with. Wide open sounds awesome but that's just not an option with the band I'm playing with right now which demands fast and clean rhythms on the BD, like broken up 16th and 32nd note groupings.
I'm running a PS3 on the batter (with falam pad) and the reso right now with the hole cut out with the template that the reso comes with ( about 5") off center. With this set-up I still need at least a small towel just touching the batter head. I'd like to be able to get a similar open yet controlled sound with no laundry in the drum. I was wondering if the 2 ply would help first of all over the PS3 (I know that Remo also makes the 2 ply PS4). And more importantly, I also thought that the felt ring in the Aquarian might help over the plastic ring in the PS. Any advice?