DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-30-2008, 01:10 PM

Default More snare drum nonsense

Some of my collection for you. I collect Craviottos amongst other things and these are most of them. I have another Timeless Timber on the way and a DW solid ash that Johnny made as well which I'll post later.

Timeless Timber maple (600 year old shell) 14x5.5
Paua Blackheart Abalone (C&C finish/Craviotto shell) 14x5.5
Orange Burst Abalone (as above) 14x6.5
Two Diamond Series 14x5.5 & 14x6.5
Birdseye maple limited 14x6.5
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Re: More snare drum nonsense

Some Dunnetts for you as well...

Cherry 14x5 solid shell
Cocobolo 12x7 solid shell - this is a rare size and from what Ronn told me there are only a couple at most.
Stainless steel 13x6
Stainless steel 12x6
Ancient Kauri 14x6.5 - this was from a run of only five drums Ronn did and there are only three in this size ever made. The wood is between 45-50,000 years old and the hoops are Titanium

I also have a DW Ti which Ronn built that I'll post later
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

I sure hope you play those babies in addition to collecting them.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

Those are just unreal. I love every single one of them. The grain of the cocobolo wood is incredible. And the ancient Kuari must be one of the most beautiful snares I've seen. You're a lucky man.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM

That Ancient Kauri is so unique. I love the way it looks.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Name:  drool.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  22.4 KB

p.s. -You are an evil person. You should not be allowed to post pictures like this..
Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Great collection. This rivals Junglelord's snare collection.

What do they sound like?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
The answer is yes, I do. I used the Timeless Timber on a brushes gig once and have recorded with it too. The Kauri I've only used once or twice so far, but that only because I haven't really recorded anything since I got it. The rest of them get used as and when in some sort of rotation.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Great collection. This rivals Junglelord's snare collection.

What do they sound like?

First of all, thanks. For the most part they sound like drums, but if I tune them badly, they sound like boxes. :o)

Seriously though, the Timeless Timber has quite dry characteristics, but all of the solid shell drums have a full bodied sound which is fantastic and very enjoyable to play. The cocobolo is interesting because it actually goes quite low tuning-wise which is unusual for a 12" drum.

The metal Craviotto drums I mentioned in another thread, but the remaining metal drums are quite cutting and controlled without being overly loud and ringy.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Attachment 18452

p.s. -You are an evil person. You should not be allowed to post pictures like this..
I don't doubt it for a moment. Nice photo, by the way. :o)
Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM

What does the kauri sound like? I was considering making a snare out of kaura (it is a native wood in New Zealand, where i am from)
Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
It would be even cooler if he payed for them using the money he made from playing.

Those are some real beauties.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Gold Member

This has to be my favorite snare collection by far. My favorites of course are the Diamond series made by AK. I know I asked about them in Dave from Perths thread, but figured I would comment in your thread better. I read the review that you posted and this has to be the snare that's tops on my list. Although I can't afford it, and probably couldn't even find one, I can still dream about it. I got to hear one in person when a fellow member (Chonson) brought one to a local gathering, and I was floored by it. I know now why everyone is so enamored with the 20's and 30's NOB drums and companies like AK and Joyful Noise that are recreating them.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums

Last edited by Mendozart; 05-01-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Oh wow! I mean, great, just beautiful drums, Dave. You have discerning taste, my friend.

Your JC maples are stunning, and the abalone shell? I've never seen one in person or seen a close-up photo like that - it's an arresting visual treat! I didn't really care much for them until I saw the detail revealed in your photo. Just amazing. The Dunnett drums you have are also nice - that cocobolo sounds like a versatile drum.

I have a question for you. Are all of Ronn's wooden shells monoply? (It seems you have a penchant for single ply snares...)

On the subject of playing the drums in your collection? I don't know about you, Dave, but I have snare drums that I regularly play at gigs. These drums get a lot of use and were chosen for their sound and tonal characteristics. In my case the 2 drums I use the most are a 14x5.5 Brady jarrah ply and a 13x5 dw Craviotto maple.

The snares in my collection are drums that get pampered. I play them at home or at practice/rehearsal - I doubt I would ever use them at a gig because I purchased those particular drums as a collector, not as a drummer (whereas with the Brady and Crav it was the other way round). Some people have a problem with this distinction between player and collector, and while I respect where they're coming from, I perfectly understand if some of your snares are reserved for your enjoyment only. That's one of the privileges of ownership. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
What does the kauri sound like? I was considering making a snare out of kaura (it is a native wood in New Zealand, where i am from)
Mate, I'm embarressed to say I can't remember. I will try and dig it out at the weekend and post a short review or something.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
It would be even cooler if he payed for them using the money he made from playing.

Those are some real beauties.
Unfortunately, I don't make THAT much playing, but suffice to say, music for me pays for itself completely and allows me some extra money too - maybe enough for part of one of these drums. It's a nice thought though
Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
This has to be my favorite snare collection by far. My favorites of course are the Diamond series made by AK. I know I asked about them in Dave from Perths thread, but figured I would comment in your thread better. I read the review that you posted and this has to be the snare that's tops on my list. Although I can't afford it, and probably couldn't even find one, I can still dream about it. I got to hear one in person when a fellow member (Chonson) brought one to a local gathering, and I was floored by it. I know now why everyone is so enamored with the 20's and 30's NOB drums and companies like AK and Joyful Noise that are recreating them.
The Diamonds really are wonderful drums although they're more jazzy/light/symphonic type drums more than general purpose. Adrian Kirchler does a great job as far as I'm concerned and is a true craftsman. I've got him making me his version of the 1920s Ludwig Triumphal (an all gold & engraved drum) which should be ready soon.

The picture below is something Adrian sent me this week and is a work in progress. The shell still has to be gold plated and assembled, but I really can't wait. Will post photos when I get the drum. While I haven't seen any JN drums yet, I have enquired about them, but the 6 month turn around time for the type of drum I'd like kinda put me off a little. Maybe one day...
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
lewisn27

600 year old shell!!! how old are you! just joking dude.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from Perth View Post
Oh wow! I mean, great, just beautiful drums, Dave. You have discerning taste, my friend.

Your JC maples are stunning, and the abalone shell? I've never seen one in person or seen a close-up photo like that - it's an arresting visual treat! I didn't really care much for them until I saw the detail revealed in your photo. Just amazing. The Dunnett drums you have are also nice - that cocobolo sounds like a versatile drum.

I have a question for you. Are all of Ronn's wooden shells monoply? (It seems you have a penchant for single ply snares...)

On the subject of playing the drums in your collection? I don't know about you, Dave, but I have snare drums that I regularly play at gigs. These drums get a lot of use and were chosen for their sound and tonal characteristics. In my case the 2 drums I use the most are a 14x5.5 Brady jarrah ply and a 13x5 dw Craviotto maple.

The snares in my collection are drums that get pampered. I play them at home or at practice/rehearsal - I doubt I would ever use them at a gig because I purchased those particular drums as a collector, not as a drummer (whereas with the Brady and Crav it was the other way round). Some people have a problem with this distinction between player and collector, and while I respect where they're coming from, I perfectly understand if some of your snares are reserved for your enjoyment only. That's one of the privileges of ownership. Thanks for posting.
Thanks again mate.

As far as I know, yes all the Dunnett wood drums are single ply and I've not heard otherwise.

With regard the collection in general, most things I take out and gig as when I feel appropriate. Some drums I'll only take out once in a while to a rehearsal though as they're not gigging drums. I always try and take the right drums out with me that suit the room and/or the music I'm playing.

The Kauri and Timeless Timber I bought because I have a real fascination with old wood: 50,000 year old wood - how can anyone not think that's cool? The TT I was again fascinated with when I saw the original DW version and never thought I'd own one, let alone two. I do take that one out just to look at occasionally and then put it back still overwhelmed that it's actually mine. Same with the abalone drums. I will say though, that all the drums I have do get played - even the ones from the 1920s - although quite often in moderation.

Some of the drums I have were bought simply for the pleasure of owning and occasionally playing them, the others were bought for the specifics of the design and to be played. I know some people have a problem with expensive instruments - each to their own and that's cool - but when you consider people spend six or seven figures on pianos and violins and don't play them, I think a few K for a drum that is played (albeit sparingly) is nothing.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm 35. :o)

More dwums...

10+6 Collectors maple
Collectors copper
Edge in black velvet 14x7
Craviotto solid Ash - this was my first expensive drum and is still one of my favourites
Titanium #36 - this was supposedly the first drum without the Dunnett internal badge

And last but not least - an Waterfall Bubinga Edge with gold & brass hardware.

Unfortunately, when I took these photos I was clearly in fast food mode and said 'supersize me' on everything so the piccies are too big to post and I can't resize them at the moment. Anyway, http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=IMG_7276.jpg
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Couple more...

Sonor Blanched Roots
KD Drums segmented Purpleheart shell
Lang Gladstone - with three way tuning system (none of this TAMA crap either)
Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic
Noble & Cooley solid shell piccolo

That's it for now.

Cheers for looking. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Pioneer Member

You guys (Dave B, and Dave from Perth) are friggin killin me. What an awesome assembly of snares.

I will go hang my head in shame now.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 AM

........Im gona go with aydee i mean come on.... but those are insane i mean there magicly delicous... not as good as lucky charms though im sorry....
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
You guys (Dave B, and Dave from Perth) are friggin killin me. What an awesome assembly of snares.

I will go hang my head in shame now.
Easy there Fred, don't be getting any crazy ideas. I can just see those dollar signs forming in your eyes about now, lol. I agree though, this collection is just kicking my a$$. That black velvet DW edge frickin looks DELICIOUS!

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 AM

What? More? Dave, you're the man! Your collection is like over-eating on eye-candy, but more is good! I've got a question for you. The claw hooks and hoops on the kauri and blanched roots models interest me. Is there a different "feel" and tuning range to snare drums with these set-ups? Can't wait for you to post your forthcoming AK. All the best.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM

I don't know if there's much of a tuning difference, but there definately is a different vibe with a single/no flanged hoop. It feels more vintage to play and doesn't really encourage you to lay into the drum - more play it 'properly'. Does that help?

Anyway, since you said the word more...

1967 Acrolite
Two prototype/mark I Acrolites (whatever they're being called now)
Transitional badge brass 400
Pre Serial 400
1966 400
Monroe badge 402
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM

DaveB

Do you have OCD?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,..... if we were to dig in your backyard,...........would we..( scary music here ).....find more...........snare drums?

seriously, that hell of a collection.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Very interestingly... possibly yes to both questions. Hmmmm...

Old 05-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Hey Dave. Thanks for answering that question on the hoops. And yes, it helps me, so thanks again.

Have you got any more??!! The slow reveal is very keep-me-waiting-for-the-next-instalment-style-sadism! (LOL!)

I have my DW limited edition snares on display in my formal lounge in some cabinets. Do you have any/all of your collection set up for display?

And another one for you: have you thought of chasing after some Sonor Signature snares? What's your take on these? (They are very hard to come by here, in Australia.) Anyway, take care and all the best.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

WOW!!!!!!! your collection is worth more than my house lol.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:47 AM

Yes you have the other ones I want, Kauri, Timeless Timber (Fascination with old wood), Ludwig, and especially that beautiful Cocobolo. Beautiful grain on that drum....drool.

I am in awe....nice to see the one Sonor.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 AM

Dave, I've got the two Diamond series up in my front room on those display snare stands you see in shops. The others are either racked or cased up. Bit sad really, but I haven't enough space at the moment to put any more up.

The story with the Blanched Roots is that I basically saw it up on Ebay for 249 and only one other person bid on it and he subsequently told me he 'let' me win it. Wasn't anything more than that; right time, right place, right price. I don't know why, Sonor stuff has never really interested me even though there's loads of it about over here. It's great stuff, just doesn't float my boat as it were.

Anyway, let the nonsense continue!

WFL 1958 Super Classic - nice vintage drum, but a player more than anything else.
Ludwig Pioneer - pre serial with a red baseball bat muffler. This has the only Remo Emperor snare side head I've ever seen.
Slingerland Artists - these are all solid shells as well, the BDP being the first I ever got.
The Oyster Pink Pearl one came with the kit I posted in the vintage thread.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 AM

Couple more oldies

Both of these Leedys are from the 1920s.

The first is a Reliance (I was told anyway, never bothered to check) 6 lug, the other is a Universal. They're both brass drums, the first is NOB, the other had the finished buffed up as a previous owner had painted it.
The last is a Leedy & Ludwig New Era drum from January 1954. It has the wrong hoops on it - they should be double flanged, no triple - and has a kind of 1950s sound to it.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 AM

This has to be one of the most beautiful collections I've seen. It must be very hard to decide on a drum to play..............Incredible!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Hi Dave.

Those 3 Slingerlands stand out to me. They are beautiful.

Your cache is the most eclectic collection of snare drums I have seen. You have, in my opinion, assembled some of drum-making's finest examples from both the vintage and contemporary periods. What's more, they are impeccably maintained.

Collections like these are important. They are like time capsules that are not only appreciated by drummers today, but also by the drummers of tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your collection, Dave. If you ever head down this way, look me up and we'll share a few beers - cold ones, of course.

Have you restored any of these drums (or commissioned any restorations) yourself or have you been lucky/prudent/patient enough to find them all in good condition?

What other contemporary drumsmiths have caught your eye? (I mean, there are so many great drumsmiths today...)
Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM

I'm just floored. I thought there were some nice collections on here already, and I couldn't picture being able to amass all those. Now I see this, and if I remember, this is your second snare thread?? So, I have to ask, do you actually know how many snares you have, total? Do you have a collection of full kits as well? Everyone else has offered plenty of praise, I just wanted to ask those questions. I didn't even know that many different kinds of amazing snares existed!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
Couple more oldies

Both of these Leedys are from the 1920s.
Dave, you might enjoy this site........:

http://images.google.co.in/imgres?im...3DNfI%26sa%3DN
Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

I love the finish and hardware on the Craviotto solid Ash. Beast

Tom
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from Perth View Post
Hi Dave.

Those 3 Slingerlands stand out to me. They are beautiful.

Your cache is the most eclectic collection of snare drums I have seen. You have, in my opinion, assembled some of drum-making's finest examples from both the vintage and contemporary periods. What's more, they are impeccably maintained.

Collections like these are important. They are like time capsules that are not only appreciated by drummers today, but also by the drummers of tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your collection, Dave. If you ever head down this way, look me up and we'll share a few beers - cold ones, of course.

Have you restored any of these drums (or commissioned any restorations) yourself or have you been lucky/prudent/patient enough to find them all in good condition?

What other contemporary drumsmiths have caught your eye? (I mean, there are so many great drumsmiths today...)

Thanks mate. All of the drums were bought as/is, I haven't had anything restored. I may have cleaned some of them up a little, but even then, not much.

As far as contemporary guys go, I think Johnny C is the best of the best really and his stuff I think will be sought after in the future when he stops building drums. Ronn Dunnett too to some degree. Pete Stanbridge makes some nice stuff although I've only seen the ProMark drum of his in person, the Joyful Noise stuff looks good and Adrian Kirchler is doing some fantastic stuff making contemporary vintage style drums.