DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 PM

Default Personal Digital Recorders

Hi guys, my friend recently got hold of a Sony ICD-UX80 and it really is a good quality product and it does a great job. But im after something not quite as expensive (its not really that much but I was looking to spend less), Im sure you're all going to recommend some great quality music recording stuff but thats not what im after, im really after an all purpose digital personal recorder, the specs for the ICD-UX80 are as follows so im after somthing like this

# USB direct key (Windows and Mac compatible)
# MP3 stereo recording and playback
# Advanced dictation features like Digital Pitch Control and Voice Operate Recording
# Built in stereo microphone. Selectable microphone sensitivity (High/Low)
# In-built speaker
# Dot-matrix LCD display with backlight
# No separate software needed
# Hi-speed USB data transfer (Voice recordings, music, images and data)
# 1 x AAA battery operated (supplied). Stamina of up to 34 hours.
# 2GB built-in flash memory to record over 580 hours

Thanks guys, just suggest anything and I'll tell you if its too expensive or whatever

Adam x

- Kit! -
Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Personal Digital Recorders

I think the Zoom H2 will be slightly less than that Sony you posted the link to, and it has just about all of those features - I have one and it's the business! If you've any friends in the States you could always try to have them get you one and send it over - it'd run you about 100 given the rate of exchange at the moment. Otherwise, if you want something more basic for alot less money (less than 100 quid) I've heard good things about some of the Olympus voice recorders. Argos usually have them in their catalog.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Olympus has the best sound quality, I tried them all and Olympus sounded best.

Whatever you end up with, great placement spot is on the floor right under the bass drum's front head with the mic's just peaking out from under the hoop.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the advice on the Olympus guys, but which models exactly?

Adam x

- Kit! -
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessdude16 View Post
Thanks for the advice on the Olympus guys, but which models exactly?

Adam x
Th WS series. Get at least the 300 -on up. I believe they have models up to 2 gigs

Hot items on ebay, people are catching on to the sound quality.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ws-&category0=
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Pioneer Member

I was sitting at work reading this thread, and literally just went and bought an Olympus WS-311M for $100 purely on the basis of having read about it first on this thread. I even got a two year extended warranty for $11 extra dollars that covers wear and tear, which is good because this thing is small and light and I have a one year old who could easily destroy it. I will be recording a rehearsal and a gig in the next 3 days and will post clips.

I do have one of those external Sony Stereo mics that I plan on using with it as well.

I've been using a malfunctioning Sony mini-disc player for the last couple of years and the recordings always end up skipping or shutting off altogether.

This Olympus simply plugs directly into my computer via USB and seems extremely simple to use. I don't expect the most amazing recording quality ever, but I'm hoping that it will pick up some good separation and a little low end. I can EQ anything that I decide to keep later.

Stay tuned...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

I've had a quick look on the Olympus website and around eBay for some of the models and they seem just right for what im after and quite affordable for what i'd be getting.

The Olympus WS-321 seems to be the best for what I need, there is the WS-331 but I dont really think i'd need the 2gb storage im sure the 1gb in the WS-321 will be plenty

Can't wait to hear the recordings that you'll be getting, post them up as soon as you can so that I can make my decision : )

Adam x

- Kit! -
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Okay, had a rehearsal and a gig. I recorded with this thing using one of those sony stereo mics plugged into it. I'm not posting recordings for two reasons. First, the rehearsal recorded way too loud. I had hung the recorder right above the drums (so I could easily stop and start it). While it didn't distort, since you can't set the recording levels, its just kind of loud. I found an ideal setting and it still makes a great rehearsal recorder. At the live gig, I mistakenly plugged the mic into the headphone jack. So it ended up recording with the internal mic, which didn't pick up any low end whatsoever. I'm planining on dumping that into itunes, then garageband, then messing with the levels there, but its all one track, so there is only so much I'll be able to do. I'm still pleased with this for what it is, but I should've spent the extra $100 and gotten the H2 Zoom.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

You should try putting it under the bass drum front hoop, just peaking out, use the internal condensers,. It'll p/u the kick and bass along with volcal(s) in a floor monitor nicely. The guitar is loud/cutting eonugh to get through no matter how far away.

Best position for getting a decent overall band sound in near the front of the kick, for the drummer anyway, guitar player might whine because they're not the loudest in the mix, but who really cares about the guitar? Under the front hoop is the bass player and drummer position, they'll own the mix.

People who think they're going to get something close to a good live recording shouldn't get their hopes up, not gonna happen. It is what it is and what it is, is placement. 311M should have some hi-end cut options, mess around. Check the (book) menu under 'Rec Mode'. If you're in a bright room, try a lower cut 10K. Use the higher 15K only in dark, dead rooms. 'Mic Sens' should always be on 'conf'-(erence). Lower mono modes are fine, stereo good, but not missed if EQ works better in a lower mode, experiment. At first I was anal about on/off for each song, now just let it run. In Windows Media, you can FF/cue easily through hours of content. Always run with 'Back lite' (in SUB menu) off if you can, you'll save mega battery time.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Cool... I did find the record modes. I'm still not sure about using conference vs. dictation mode though. It seems like dictation mode tends to get a cleaner mix for me. The conference mode stuff sounded kind of like "hall" settings on my stereo. Thanks for all the tips though, I'll try that next time. I hear you about just letting it run. I hate to hold up rehearsal for stuff like that.

GO WINGS!!!!!