DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Evans G2 over G1's

I recently put G2's over G1's on my maple custom absolute drums and man, I just have to say that the sound is INCREDIBLE. It's so fat and punchy sounding. I also just discovered moongels and wonder how I was living without them. I picked up a few pair of HeadHunter (maple) sticks that used to be called Powertip in the 70's and 80's in Canada. The combination of all of these things makes for one hell of a great sound.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, there is a site called freedrumlessons.com and the video and audio is high quality. You can hear what this combination of heads sounds like on maple drums (albiet close miked)

Grant
Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Evans G2 over G1's

Yea I use clear G2'S over Genra Resonant's I have sonor Delites so it is a thin maple shell and the sound is incredible
Old 04-29-2008, 12:08 AM

Nathaniel Townsley is using G2 over G1 on his GMS maple drums and his drums sound immensly powerful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m55vToHFPd4
Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 AM

i actually did this by mistake on a floor tom (wasnt paying close attention to what i was buying at the time), and could not believe the sound...needless to say i left it that way, and replaced the others.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Pioneer Member

i've got the same combo on my Yamaha's and love it, though I never saw a need for moongel with them..
Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 AM

thats what Danny Carey from tool uses on his toms. it's definitely a great combination
Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 AM
RiseandFall

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsy View Post
thats what Danny Carey from tool uses on his toms. it's definitely a great combination
Live, but in the studio he uses G1 over G1 and also has been quoted saying he changed out heads after each song to keep the fresh and new.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 AM

thats an interesting tidbit.. thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Pioneer Member

I have had g2 coated heads on both my kits and could never tune these things decently, perhaps the clear versions are better, I'm not sure. They have quite a bright tone and more sustain than g1 coated heads yet they have a flat attack sound without a lot of bounce.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:45 PM

I just fitted some Evans EC2 clears to the toms of my Le Soprano Pro Maple kit. They have a fat gutsy sound as well. Don't need moon gel with them. I love the sound they make.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Aren't G2s and EC2s identical except for the "edge control" ring? They're both 14 (2x7) mil, right? And presumably made of the same film.

I'm using EC2s on birch shells and like the sound a lot, but I may get restless and want to experiment with removing the control ring just to see what G2s sound like without having to buy a whole new set.

Has anyone here used both on birch toms? Is the difference drastic?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
Aren't G2s and EC2s identical except for the "edge control" ring? They're both 14 (2x7) mil, right? And presumably made of the same film.

I'm using EC2s on birch shells and like the sound a lot, but I may get restless and want to experiment with removing the control ring just to see what G2s sound like without having to buy a whole new set.

Has anyone here used both on birch toms? Is the difference drastic?
I've got EC2s over G1s on my 8,10, and 12, and G2s over G1s on the 14 & 16. ( Yamaha Absolute Maple Nouveaus). Its difficult to make a yammie sound bad but the EC2s are tighter and less resonant than the G2s . I think gconyers is one happy puppy right now, and deservedly so. The right drums, right heads, right sticks.. cant have more fun than that, legally anyway..
Old 05-22-2008, 04:28 PM

I don't know much about heads, I haven't really experimented much with them. I've just ordered a Tama Starclassic kit in bubinga. Would the g2 over g1 set-up be appropriate or is the g2 a heavier head that might muffle the tone a little much? I wouldn't want to cover up the stereotypical bubinga sound with too much muffling from a heavy coating, oil filled heads or dampening rings if that in fact would be the effect. I guess my question is, would this combo enhance/amplify/compliment the bubinga woods tone or just deaden it a bit?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:06 PM

i tried clear ec2's on my masters birch 8" & 10".to me it killed them.i switched all batters to g2 and resos to g1.it's amazing.the big problem with small toms like the 8" is the range of the "sweet spot" is so narrow.