DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 AM

Default loud snare head

So as some of you already know, I just got my new 2005 Gretsch maple snare drum (pictures to come) and I just played my first show with it today. A lot of the people there said my snare was drowned out and they couldn't really hear it.

So my question is: What is a snare head that will cut through the music in a live performance? I have another show on friday so I would like to change the head before then.

Anyone hear or use a Remo Powerstroke snare head? or Controlled Sound? HELP PLEASE! =)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Re: loud snare head

I used an Emperor X on my old Chad Smith snare. Everyone used to tell me it was the loudest thing in the room, and that was with 2 guitarists cranking their Dual Rectifiers and a bassist with 2 x 15"s.

Now whether that's due to my playing or not, i couldn't say.....

I did like the Emperor X though. So much so that I'm awaiting delivery on one to put on my new Black Panther snare. (Coated Ambassador on it just seems a bit lightweight)

*Have you tried cranking your existing head to give a bit more snap? May mean you don't need to buy a new head. Oh yeah, and if you play a helluva lot of ghost notes, you'll find the Emperor X isn't very sensitive to small input. If you whack the living daylights out of it, it'll sound great.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM

Hey man, try an evans HD dry. Should knock your socks off. The evans revers powerdot is a beast too.

Or you could ask the sound guy to mic your snare, that would fix all of these problems.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Pioneer Member

I like a plain old coated Remo Ambasador on a wood snare and Hazy Ambassador on the snare side. The head will ring, but will allow the drum to project and be heard.

The Evans Power Center Reversr Dot is also a good choice as already mentioned.

Genera drys and Power Strokes have built in Richie rings under the head and muffle the head. This may not be the best choice for live applications. That would also depend on the volume level of the band.

Any single ply unmuffled head should a step in the right direction.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Well right now I am still using the stock head (which is a gretsch but I was told it was remo made). It's a single ply head and I am just not getting enough volume out of it, even when a bang on it. But my band does play loud (Ampeg, Orange, and Marshall amps). Any other suggestions guys?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Play around with the tuning range. Crank that bad boy. Be careful not to choke it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Pre-muffled heads are softer. That's why they call it muffling.

Use a 10-mil single-ply coated batter such as the Ambassador or G1. Do not add muffling (moongel, studio rings, tape, etc.). Tune it well and let it ring. That ring helps it penetrate the mix and also helps it sound loud 'n' lively from the audience.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 AM

I'm not really looking for a poppy sound out of my snare though. More like a full bodied burst with a strong attack (if that makes any sense). Would you still recommend an ambassador?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 AM

i dont know how hard you hit but of course hitting the drum hard is important to cut threw especially if you are playing rock and unmic'd.

And of course some drums are louder than other. 14x6.5 metal snares seem pretty loud. And snare drums with big holes drilled into the side seem to really cut.

There's some good advice listed above. You can't go wrong with coated ambassadors.

Like stated above, stay away from muffling the drum and a lot of drummers who don't know how to tune keep there snare wires to tight.

In general, i think its best to have the snare side tuned slightly higher than the batter side it increases sensitivity, articulation and make the snare..well more "snarey".

good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
... Tune it well and let it ring. That ring helps it penetrate the mix and also helps it sound loud 'n' lively from the audience.
Yes. The snare ring that carries will seem intense from behind the kit, but what the audience hears is moderated by the mix. Let it bark and sing.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Hello,

I am currently using a REMO Powerstroke and find it quite loud.
It has a clear and crisp sound that might be able to "cut through" the music.

I would try it and also tune it quite firmly.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 PM

All the advice is good, but if your snare isn't amplified and the band is, there will come a point where the snare will get drowned out by the band no matter what snare you have, what heads you put on it and how hard you hit it. Maybe you need a mic on the drum, or the band need to turn down. Possibly you need a louder drum for your purposes - something deep and metal?

... sorry to be a bore, but if you are regularly playing so loud your snare gets drowned and don't currently wear ear plugs, maybe try some, at least for rehearsals. It's worth it in the long run.

Last edited by pbm2112; 05-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

Aqurian Hi-Energy heads sound great, are loud and will last longer than most too. Great head for rock and metal music. It's never let me down.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:00 AM

I actually agree with pbm2112. If the band is just too loud, maybe skip the head idea and just mic the set or have the band turn down the volume a bit.