DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Help Deciding a new kit

I am in the market for buying a new kit in the next few months. My spending could be anywhere from 700 to 1200 or a tad higher. Im really looking for 10,12,14 and 20 bass (no snare, i already have 2) If at all possible, i'd really like all maple. anyone who has any suggestions, id really appreciate it!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help Deciding a new kit

You can go used and get lucky there. If you want to go new, you can get a mapex pro-m in those sizes for under $1200 I believe.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...rum?sku=490318
That's with a 22" bass, can't find one that has a 20". But it has the right tom sizes and it's maple. The snare is supposedly free, but it's probably included in the price.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:26 AM

100% maple $699 everywhere...
Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
100% maple $699 everywhere...
I agree, I have the Gretsch catalina maple and it's the nicest set I've ever owned.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 04-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Administrator

www.musiciansfriend.com has a bunch of drum sets on sale at the moment.
Different brands, different setups. You may want to go there and llok just to see whats available. I also have a Gretsch Maple, Renown set. Check ebay and also Craigslist for your area for decent used sets. I normally don't like buying used, but I got a steal on a 1600..00 set for 650.00. Keep your eyes open and be patient.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:42 AM

thanks for all the options. now that I started trying lots of kits, i think it may be a Mapex pro m jazz set up (20 bass and the tom sizes I wanted) or a gretsch renown maple(might require some extra saving).
Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 AM

I know this could rapidly turn into a 'I've-got-a-Mapex/Pearl/Gretsch/etc kit, so-that-is-the-one-you-should-get' thread.

But, I have recently bought a 2nd hand Mapex Pro-M from eBay. it has the 20" kick you're after (18" deep & a virgin too!) Mine came with 8", 10", 12". 14" & 16" Short Stax toms. I really enjoy playing it. The sound from the toms has a very broad range from the 8 to the 16. It rings nicely and has plenty of projection especially for such shallow depths. One big advantage of such shallow toms is the flexibility of placement of the whole kit. I can set the kit up where I want it, not where the kit dictates certain items need to go. (To be honest, I probably paid too much for it (750 pounds with 'Hardcase' hardcases's for all the drums), but it was one of only a handful of Short Stax kits I'd seen. Plus I was desperate for a virgin kick (I use an ICON rack). I really didn't want to let it go!)

The bass has a nice tone. My old 22" Premier was louder though (not that much in it, but it is noticeable)

The hardware is rock solid. It's the first time i've used a kit with these 'ball' type tom arms, and i was worried they would slip, but no problems at all.

I wouldn't presume to tell you to buy a pro-M on the say-so of a virtual stranger, but I would recommend you short list it for a try out.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a GMS kit for $1295 opening bid http://cgi.ebay.com/GMS-Custom-drums...QQcmdZViewItem , in those exact sizes.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Here's a GMS kit for $1295 opening bid http://cgi.ebay.com/GMS-Custom-drums...QQcmdZViewItem , in those exact sizes.
I would with out a doubt jump on that.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 AM
MadMax

Best advice I could give you is this......think old not new. Vintage drums are superior anyway you slice or dice it. You don't lose money on a good vintage kit, it's a good investment. They have a sound you cannot find in newer drums, and they look much classier than new kits. Go look for a vintage Slingerland, Ludwig, Rogers, Gretsch, Sonor, or Camco, you can't go wrong.

Last edited by MadMax; 04-30-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGlass View Post
I would with out a doubt jump on that.
Nobody did, and now it's relisted $200 lower. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020 and here's an RMV kit starting at $400: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019 it's a buyers market right now, not a sellers. People are hurting for cash. And worried about the future.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:56 AM

I took a look at that GMS, and I may consider it, the issue is that I dont necissarily have 1200 to put into a kit right now. As for the vintage kits, I had always thought about that, but every GOOD vintage kit ive seen or heard has sold for over 1200
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

It's good you start doing your homework now. By watching eBay, reading all the "what drumset should I buy" threads that always pop up here, in 3 or 6 or whenever months down the road it takes for you to get enough scratch together, you'll be able to make a more informed purchase.