DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Chain or Belt drive for bass drum pedals?

Hello

I'm about to get a Roland TD9KX V drum kit at the end of this month. I'd prefer an acoustic kit bit my neighbours, including landlord, aren't deaf enough! I can learn without annoying my nice and friendly neighbours, and that's great.

As the kit does not come with a bass drum pedal I've been looking at this forum for some advise. It seems the Pearl Eliminators are good ones, especially as the 2000 series comes with four different cams to adjust to personal preference, which seems a big advantage to me.

They come either chain or belt driven. I don't know what the practical differences are between chain or belt. So what is the difference and which is "best", chain or belt drive?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Chain or Belt drive for bass drum pedals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post

As the kit does not come with a bass drum pedal I've been looking at this forum for some advise. It seems the Pearl Eliminators are good ones, especially as the 2000 series comes with four different cams to adjust to personal preference, which seems a big advantage to me.

They come either chain or belt driven. I don't know what the practical differences are between chain or belt. So what is the difference and which is "best", chain or belt drive?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
i recently bought a chain drive set of the elim chain drive double pedals.
the adjustability(if that is a word) is amazing.
all 4 cams have a different feel.

the only real experience i have with a belt drive is this old pearl pedal at my school.
its really sensitive and i want to try it out on elims one day.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Mystic

I think the chains work great, and you can get them cheaper at www.midwestpercussion.com but the belt pedal there is still normally priced for some reason, anyway chain looks and feels great to me, but I have never tried a belt b4, but the pedal itself is so adjustable that I don't think the drive matters a whole lot :D happy shopping and good luck
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 AM

For what it's worth, most players use chain drive pedals. I too have never played a belt or strap drive pedal before so I don't want to discount what they offer, but chain seems to be the popular choice. If you can, try a bunch of different pedals and see what feels best to you. If you aren't able to do that, then go with something that offers a lot of adjustments like the Pearl Eliminator (2000 series) or the DW9000. Hope that helps!!

All the best,

- Mike
Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

People use chains because they look cooler. I recently converted my two DW5000s from chain to strap because I got tired of getting grease all over my fingers when I unpacked. I really don't notice any difference.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
Just wondering how much of a sound difference there will be of the different cams of an electric kit?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Thank you all for you help and suggestions. I've ordered a belt driven Pearl Eliminator 2000 and now wait impatiently for the pedal and kit to arrive!

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
Just wondering how much of a sound difference there will be of the different cams of an electric kit?
None. The impact of the beater triggers a sound from a sound module, the way the drum is struck does not matter.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Eliminator (2 singles) and it's a really fantastic pedal.
You're gonna love it.

But, I tried the straps on it, and I didn't like them, so I changed them back to the chain.
The great thing is that the change over (if you want to) is super easy, and it's pretty cheap too.

I usually LOVE strap pedals, and I have a DW 5000 strap, so I was kinda surprised that I liked the chain better, but the Red cam is the one that gives the "strap drive" feel, and the chain works great on it.

I found the Pearl strap to be a little "lagging" compared to the chain for my foot, but check it out for yourself, you may not feel it the same and it could be great for you...that's why they offer both.

Have fun with your new pedal!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I have the Eliminator (2 singles) and it's a really fantastic pedal.
You're gonna love it.

But, I tried the straps on it, and I didn't like them, so I changed them back to the chain.
The great thing is that the change over (if you want to) is super easy, and it's pretty cheap too.

Have fun with your new pedal!
Thanks and it's good to know I can change from a strap to a chain if I want to. Didn't know that before. :-)