DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Default Cymbal Dividers

Hey Guys,

Got a cymbal bag, pretty standard one, but it has no dividers inside it so you get metal on metal contact. Rather than buying a new cymbal bag (planning to do in the further anyway) right now what ideas do you lot have for keeping metal contact to a minimum?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Cymbal Dividers

Just buy some felt sheets and stick them in between. That's really all that some cymbal bags have for protection. You could even use bubble wrap, cardboard...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

If you have any sewing skills you could make individual size cotton bags for seperating them in a case without dividers is my suggestion.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Dollar store...cheap pillowcases.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Just buy some felt sheets and stick them in between. That's really all that some cymbal bags have for protection. You could even use bubble wrap, cardboard...
Good ideas. I went to a place that makes gaskets and they had a bunch of scraps laying around that they sold me for cheap and i put those between the cymbals.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

I so far have had no trouble when the cymbals are on top of each other. Still sound perfectly ok to me.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 AM
fourstringdrums

Oh, something I remember from reading in Modern Drummer years ago. Mount your cymbals on a few spare hi-hat clutches with firm, but then, felt in between. I believe Sabian makes a hard case that more or less does the same thing.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
If you have any sewing skills you could make individual size cotton bags for seperating them in a case without dividers is my suggestion.
Think i may do this with a felt sheet between two sheets of cotton or cotton bags for each specific cymbal.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Administrator

When I bought my Masterwork cymbals from cymbalfusion.com, he mailed them to me in a hardcase that had a plastic bolt in the middle and a plastic nut that went on it. with some plastic over each cymbal and finger tight on the bolt they survived quite well. I then mailed my trade-ins back to them. But since you have a bag already, I still suggest the pillowcases. they are cheap enough.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Big_Philly

Pillowcases indeed, or old t-shirts.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Pillowcases indeed, or old t-shirts.
The only potential problem is the extra material when they don't fit to size just right causing problems with stuff getting caught in the zipper of the bag and the extra bulk tightening up the fit of many cymbals in the case. This is especially true for 22" rides in a 22" case with a cover for starters without dividers. Found custom made felt or cotton sized to fit covers were alot more friendly for frequent use putting them in and out of the case on a regular bases especially soft cymbal bags in particular.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 AM

I used to use a padded cymbal bag with all of the cymbals held together with a big ol' bolt (not too tight!.. and with some cymbal felts between the two cymbals touching the bolt). All of the bells inside each other from arranged from biggest cymbal to smallest. Worked pretty well at keeping cymbals from scuffing since they couldn't slide around.

Whatever you do, just be mindful of where all the cymbals come together at the bottom of the bag... lots of force there. Pillow cases probably offer the most protection.

Next case I get will be a molded hard case with the center screw/wingnut. Just easier. :-)

-Ryan
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Greetings from Denver,

Here is what I did and I noticed a few have also mentioned felt. When I bought my set of Sabian Paragons they came with an AT Flight case. A very nice case for cymbals, however no spacers between the cymbals. So I went to a sewing store and picked up some felt. I managed to find a dark purple color that matches my kit (coblat fade Pearl ELX). I took each cymbal and traced around it on the felt. I poked a small hole in the center of each piece so that they would fit over the center post of that case. Then cut out the large circles. Much nicer for the pies for sure. Now when the full kit (12 piece) goes out, that is the cymbal case I use. I also have a bag that I use for smaller versions of the kit. The bag I have is from "Protection Racket" And it has fake fur bags to place around the cymbals before they go back into the bag. There are 2 pockets in this bag. The large main compartment that will hold the 22" ride and a smaller pocket on the front for hats, Also with the fake fur bag

Hope this helps ya out a bit
Mike
Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Got a cymbal bag, pretty standard one, but it has no dividers inside it so you get metal on metal contact. Rather than buying a new cymbal bag (planning to do in the further anyway) right now what ideas do you lot have for keeping metal contact to a minimum?

Fiber based material is not the best option for dividers in a cymbal bag if your anal about your cymbals finish. Felt, cotton, cardboard etc. will hold dirt, grime, moisture and soak this stuff on the cymbal while its it in the bag. Faux material 'may' leave 'fine' scratches on a brilliant finish and also harbours/hides dirt and moisture.

The best material is plastic, cheap and effective (inert) its what manufactures ship their cymbals in and It won't stain or scratch the finish. Plastic can be cleaned also, and any dirt or moisture is easily visible compared to fiber based materials, which can hide/hold damaging soiling-substances.

The plastic bags a new cymbal comes with can be trimmed with scissors. Round off the top corners. Do cutting with the cymbal in the bag. Sabian and Zildjian use the same bag and trimming a curve right to the bottom of the built handle handle works great.

No need to trim 14" and under bags. Trimming makes it easier to close your cymbal bag, no folding-in of plastic to avoid the zipper catching. Killer plastic bags can be made with polyethylene film (AKA Visqueen) if you don't have original bags. Look for it by the foot a Lowes Etc. Thicker is better.

There's no need to bag your front (HH or splash) and rear (usually ride) nesting cymbals, they can ride on the bags inbetween. You could do the 'alternate' thing (every other cymbal, but the extra plasitic makes a nice cushion inside a closed bag. Plastic is cheap, effictive and easy to replace.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

I just fold my cymbals up in towels and then chuck them in the bag, seems to work alright. I'm considering getting a hardcase for them though, I've had a few cymbals crack because of dents from people dropping them on concrete at gigs.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Fiber based material is not the best option for dividers in a cymbal bag if your anal about your cymbals finish. Felt, cotton, cardboard etc. will hold dirt, grime, moisture and soak this stuff on the cymbal while its it in the bag. Faux material 'may' leave 'fine' scratches on a brilliant finish and also harbours/hides dirt and moisture.

The best material is plastic, cheap and effective (inert) its what manufactures ship their cymbals in and It won't stain or scratch the finish. Plastic can be cleaned also, and any dirt or moisture is easily visible compared to fiber based materials, which can hide/hold damaging soiling-substances.

The plastic bags a new cymbal comes with can be trimmed with scissors. Round off the top corners. Do cutting with the cymbal in the bag. Sabian and Zildjian use the same bag and trimming a curve right to the bottom of the built handle handle works great.

No need to trim 14" and under bags. Trimming makes it easier to close your cymbal bag, no folding-in of plastic to avoid the zipper catching. Killer plastic bags can be made with polyethylene film (AKA Visqueen) if you don't have original bags. Look for it by the foot a Lowes Etc. Thicker is better.

There's no need to bag your front (HH or splash) and rear (usually ride) nesting cymbals, they can ride on the bags inbetween. You could do the 'alternate' thing (every other cymbal, but the extra plasitic makes a nice cushion inside a closed bag. Plastic is cheap, effictive and easy to replace.
I second this, plastic bags is where it's at.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 AM

i have a cymbal bag like yours, and what i do to divide my cymbals up is shove my tom/snare mutes in between them.

just a suggestion...and if you dont have mutes this wont exactly work heh
Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 PM

Well, I went the more expensive route and bought skb cymbal pads from their website. The cymbal cases I bought from them only come with 4 pads but hold 8 cymbals:

http://store.skbcases.com/ProductCar...0&idproduct=21
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM

Underpad (as in for carpets) is the answer!!

Firstly, let me preface this by saying that I'm extremely anal about all of my gear. Okay, now that I got that out of the way...
I have both soft cases (Ritter; padded with no dividers) and a hard case (Zildjian cymbal safe).

Soft case
The soft cases are much faster for gigging because you just slide your pies in & out (I go largest to smallest). I don't like to take forever setting up my gear beforehand and I follow the "leave it all on stage" motto when playing live shows so I like a quick tear-down too as I'm usually pretty exhausted afterwards. For extra cushioning, I took some some spare underpad for carpets that my parents had lying around in their basement, cut them to size (1 inch larger all the way around for each cymbal and rounded off the corners so they fit in the cymbal bags). Carpet underpad is great because it's soft, thin (so it doesn't eat up room in the cymbal bag), but dense so it provides good protection. Any carpet store or manufacturer will have some scraps laying around that they would likely give you for free, or if not, you could buy a little bit for dirt cheap $$. The padding never leaves the bag so I don't worry about dirt or anything getting stuck onto the fibre that might damage my cymbals. At shows, I usually lay the bags down or prop them up in between the guitar amps. I'm careful when I stand the bag up so the cymbal edges don't get damaged and I have extra padding at the bottom of the bag too. Between the underpadding I placed in there and the bag's own padding, I'm confident my cymbals are well protected.

Hard case
The hard case is great because of all the extra protection however it's more time consuming on a gig because you have nuts/bolts to remove. I place the cymbals biggest to smallest and put spare cymbal felts between each cymbal so they don't rub together. You have to be careful when taking your pies in and out though because the threaded bolt in the center of the case can cause key-holing if you're careless or are jerking them around. Also, since the cymbals are essentially mounted on that center bolt, if you put the case down harshly or if the case gets knocked over or something, you could damage the cymbals (again with the key-holing).

Hope this helps and all the best,

- Mike
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
Underpad (as in for carpets) is the answer!!

Hard case
The hard case is great because of all the extra protection however it's more time consuming on a gig because you have nuts/bolts to remove. I place the cymbals biggest to smallest and put spare cymbal felts between each cymbal so they don't rub together. You have to be careful when taking your pies in and out though because the threaded bolt in the center of the case can cause key-holing if you're careless or are jerking them around. Also, since the cymbals are essentially mounted on that center bolt, if you put the case down harshly or if the case gets knocked over or something, you could damage the cymbals (again with the key-holing).

Hope this helps and all the best,

- Mike
Since you're anal like me, embrace plastic tubing!

Find the stuff that fits over the bolt threads in your case, yet still fits inside the holes in the cymbals. Trim it to the right length so you can get the wing nut on snugly. In lieu of tubing, tape also works. A felt between the wing nut and cymbal also helps.

On the same note, don't forget the threads in your hi-hat clutch (if yours has threads). Those'll munch up the top cymbal right quick if you don't tape it up. When I first got my old DW hi-hat stand, I had eaten quite a key hole in my top Sabian HH hat before I caught it. Fuggin fuggin.... :-)

-Ryan
Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
On the same note, don't forget the threads in your hi-hat clutch (if yours has threads). Those'll munch up the top cymbal right quick if you don't tape it up. When I first got my old DW hi-hat stand, I had eaten quite a key hole in my top Sabian HH hat before I caught it. Fuggin fuggin.... :-)
Oh, forgot about that. Must tap the metal up tomorrow morning! Thank you so much
Old 04-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
Since you're anal like me, embrace plastic tubing!

Find the stuff that fits over the bolt threads in your case, yet still fits inside the holes in the cymbals. Trim it to the right length so you can get the wing nut on snugly. In lieu of tubing, tape also works. A felt between the wing nut and cymbal also helps.

-Ryan
I use some plastic tubing from the hardware store to go over the bolt in my hard case. I wouldn't use tape because it will get ground up and the adhesive has magical ways of gumming up your cymbals and will eventually wind up on your sticks and heads.

I've never had a problem with a hi-hat clutch because all the ones I've ever seen have a section of the bolt that has no threads. The finger nuts are supposed to trap the top cymbal in this unthreaded area.

Better to be anal retentive than anal expulsive! (anyone else here read Freud?)
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM

Mine has no threads but would prefer to look sad, be anal and have no key-holing!