DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Big_Philly

Default Evans EC1 coated

Looking for the perfect heads for my Superstars I decided to try Evans for a change, usually being a Remo guy. I picked up a 12" EC1 coated this afternoon and tuned it up. I expected the head to have a focused low sound with relatively short sustain because of the thickness and the control ring. Things weren't quite what I expected. Tuning it in my regular way of tuning a drum (batter head to the point where it loses the pitch bend, reso to the point where it has a straight clear tone with no bends) didn't give satisfactory results so I'll probably try that again some time soon. However, tuning it a little higher with the resonant head cranked up pretty tight gave me a very long sustain and a nice, focused tone. Not the thunderous rock sound I was hoping for but my ears liked it.
Trying a thinner resonant head seemed like a good idea so I gave it a go. It gave the tom less resonance (but it still sounds very lively) and slightly lower pitch. A great sound, focused, warm and low (though not noticeably lower than the PS3's could take it). I will definitely try the EC1 coated on my 16x16 as well.
One quick question though: do Evans heads need to be seated like Remo's do?

Last edited by Big_Philly; 04-15-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-15-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Evans EC1 coated

You'll get mixed recommendations on seating. My observation has been most on this site recommend seating heads, with the exception of Aquarian heads. I just started re-skinning my set with Evans and did not go through the traditional seating process. I went with more of a tune & retune as needed. My understanding is that with Evans, if you don't seat the head you will just have to re-tune more frequently until they settle in.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I picked up a 12" EC1 coated this afternoon and tuned it up. I expected the head to have a focused low sound with relatively short sustain because of the thickness and the control ring.
The thicker the head, the longer the sustain; EC1s are 14-mil thick, they may be the thickest 1-ply heads on the market.

Quote:
Tuning it in my regular way of tuning a drum (batter head to the point where it loses the pitch bend, reso to the point where it has a straight clear tone with no bends) didn't give satisfactory results so I'll probably try that again some time soon.
I have no idea what you mean here or how you're actually tuning. Try tuning both heads to the same pitch to start. This gives maximum sustain. If you want less sustain, raise the tension of the reso head. You can pretty much dial in how much sustain you want.

Quote:
Not the thunderous rock sound I was hoping for
"A thunderous rock sound" is precisely the phrase I'd use to describe the sound of my EC1 clears (batter and reso tuned the same). They are some of the loudest heads I've ever used: big, fat, and chunky.

The clears are so warm sounding, frankly I can't imagine using the coateds; more warmth might be too much of a good thing.

Quote:
One quick question though: do Evans heads need to be seated like Remo's do?
I'm in the minority, but I don't think any heads need to be "seated" in the sense most people use the word. When I install new heads I usually tension them a ways past their intended pitch, then bring them back. Play on them, retune, and you're good to go. Some of the extreme seating methods I've seen will only make your heads wear out before their time.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post

I have no idea what you mean here or how you're actually tuning. Try tuning both heads to the same pitch to start. This gives maximum sustain. If you want less sustain, raise the tension of the reso head. You can pretty much dial in how much sustain you want.

"A thunderous rock sound" is precisely the phrase I'd use to describe the sound of my EC1 clears (batter and reso tuned the same). They are some of the loudest heads I've ever used: big, fat, and chunky.
Well my experience is that when you have only the batter head on your drum, under a certain tension if you hit it it will sound very wobbly and bend in pitch. As you raise the tension this straightens out and at a certain point you get a clean tone. After that I tend to tune my resonant heads to the same pitch of the batter, or at least that's how I did it with the PS3's I have.

As for the thunderous rock sound: we may have a different definition of this thunderous rock sound or I'm just doing soemthing wrong (I might, I'm not exactly a drum tech). I gave tuning another try later yesterday and got a better sound. I did seat the head, quite extensively and the characteristics of the head changed a little, it became easier to get a low tone. I'll try again today though, in my experience whenever I try a new head it takes a while for me to learn how to properly tune it. And sometimes I just have "bad tuning days".

At this particular moment I think I prefer my Powerstroke 3's over the EC1 (yes I know that contradicts my earlier post) but that might change in the near future, I will keep you informed.

Last edited by Big_Philly; 04-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

I've "checked out", but I haven't tried the EC1's, but being as it's a ONE PLY at 14 mil, I'd think it'd get a brighter, or little higher pitch off the bat, than a regular 10 mil head, and especially a higher pitch than the P3 being 10 mil, & with the way it's tone control ring is.

The EC1 has that silver ring attached to the head past the bearing edge, and the P3's ring is attached at the collar.

The silver sticker is going to cut different overtones out than what the P3 does.

You might even be "just used to the sound" of the P3 too, and that happens a lot when trying new stuff out...at least I find that it might take a day or so to get used to some totally new drumhead or cymbal.

Since that EC1's a thicker 1 ply, seems like it would have more initial attack sound too--kinda like a dot head does.

Did you find that to be the case?

If you like the EC1 head overall, but want a fatter tone, I'd try the EC2.

That head (from the look and feel of it when I checked it out at the shop), I bet will get a fatter, beefier sound than even the P3.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Big_Philly

Yeah the EC2 might be worthwhile. I did find that the EC1 sounds somewhat brighter than a PS3 which is not what I wanted. I like the sound of EC1 but I prefer the fat thud I get from the PS3's; especially the stick's impact simply sounds better on PS3's.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 AM

Apart from the tone, how is the stick response on the EC1s?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 AM

i bought a set a EC1 coated for my toms and i was fairly satisfied with the,
they had alot of sustain and had a good tuning rrange
(i tuned em higher)

i really want to try the clear EC2s.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Mystic

I've heard EC1s on birch toms and they sound beautiful, but I stay away from evans just because I am biased, for no reason (some of my fav drummers use evans), but it's just something about the name that I dont like, hahahaha don't ask, anyway they do sound good on toms despite my opinion on the brand.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Mystic

ahh my mistake I heard G1s on toms and those were really good I haven't heard EC1s though woops lol
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
The stick response is a little more bouncy than most thinner heads. So doing a double stroke roll on them isn't much of a problem, even at lower tunings.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I've "checked out", but I haven't tried the EC1's, but being as it's a ONE PLY at 14 mil, I'd think it'd get a brighter, or little higher pitch off the bat, than a regular 10 mil head . . .
This has not been my experience. Pitch, of course, has to do with how high you tune it. But with the control ring, EC1s are very warm, dark-sounding heads. Frankly I don't see how anyone can use the words "EC1s" and "bright" in the same sentence. Both on Evans' chart and to my ear, the EC2s are a little brighter in tone than the EC1s, while the EC1s are a little more open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
Because they are thicker than 10-mil heads, the EC1s will be at a slightly higher tension at the same pitch. This helps with rebound, but not a whole lot. I would not say, as someone has, that they make double-stroke rolls no problem even at lower tunings. I dare anyone to do a double stroke roll on my toms! ;-)
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Because they are thicker than 10-mil heads, the EC1s will be at a slightly higher tension at the same pitch. This helps with rebound, but not a whole lot. I would not say, as someone has, that they make double-stroke rolls no problem even at lower tunings. I dare anyone to do a double stroke roll on my toms! ;-)
Where do you live? I'll have a go ;) But compared to the PS3 I found doublestroke-rolling easier on the EC1. And I said "not much of a problem", which implies that it's at least a bit more of a problem than no problem ;)
Well I don't know exactly what I did wrong (that is, if I did anything wrong) tuning this head, but I switched back to the PS3's on all of my toms and I much prefer the sound of the PS3. Especially the attack of the PS3 is very nice to my ears.