DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Default How to increase the volume of recorded tracks?

Hi, I recently recorded some songs but they came out really quiet from the mixer. I have the program Audacity and have tried amplifying but all it does is clip. Is there anyway to increase the volume of a song without taking away any quality?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: How to increase the volume of recorded tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivi View Post
Hi, I recently recorded some songs but they came out really quiet from the mixer. I have the program Audacity and have tried amplifying but all it does is clip. Is there anyway to increase the volume of a song without taking away any quality?
I have never worked with Audacity, but here's something I used to do all the time in this situation. I used to record on a Korg D-16 digital recorder. One thing you can do on that recorder is copy tracks, start to finish. If someone recorded something that was a little too quiet, and the usual turning up, etc, didn't work, I would copy the track a few times, onto different tracks. Suddenly, you have two, three, four, or more of the tracks to work with. Then, if you change the panning of the track just slightly, it will have the effect of increasing the volume (at least, that's what it sounds like to the ear...you are basically tricking the ear). This always worked perfectly, though it was a bit time-consuming.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The usual method would be to find the 'normalise' function on the wave editor. It raises everything to 0db using the loudest part of the track as a reference; so it won't compress the signal. Assuming the highest peak on your recording is already below 0db, then it should raise the overall level on the waveform.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivi View Post
I recorded with audacity, I never experienced a lack of loudness. It depend how much DB is the original recording but you can amplify high enough that it will sound too much distorted. The only problem that I had with audacity is the line-in mic volume which doesn't work well or as it should because Garageband & Adobe Audition or Cakewalk Sonar can lower the mic volume while Audacity clip the recorded spectral frequency.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The usual method would be to find the 'normalise' function on the wave editor. It raises everything to 0db using the loudest part of the track as a reference; so it won't compress the signal. Assuming the highest peak on your recording is already below 0db, then it should raise the overall level on the waveform.
Excellent answer, I never had the need to this fonction but I will keep it in mind, thank's.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
I have never worked with Audacity, but here's something I used to do all the time in this situation. I used to record on a Korg D-16 digital recorder. One thing you can do on that recorder is copy tracks, start to finish. If someone recorded something that was a little too quiet, and the usual turning up, etc, didn't work, I would copy the track a few times, onto different tracks. Suddenly, you have two, three, four, or more of the tracks to work with. Then, if you change the panning of the track just slightly, it will have the effect of increasing the volume (at least, that's what it sounds like to the ear...you are basically tricking the ear). This always worked perfectly, though it was a bit time-consuming.
If it's a digital recorder, that'll have the same effect as turning up the gain, if it's sample accurate.

The answer here is compression. Make sure the tracks are normalised, then put a compressor (or even better, a limiter) on that track to reduce the transients so that you can increase the gain. This is what makes commercial recordings so 'loud', the increase of the average sound level gives the impression of greater loudness at any volume, even though the level never at any point exceeds 0dB.