DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Default How loud are the Yamaha pads really?

Anybody with a Yamaha e-kit (particularly DTXtreme) will be able to answer this. I'm not far from purchasing an e-kit. I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha DTXtreme III and the Roland TD12 and I'm leaning towards the Yammy for various reasons. Anyways, the drums will be staying at my girlfriend's apartment. She's been totally supportive of me getting the drums, but I'm worried that the sound of me hitting the pads will distract her and eventually irritate her. So what I want to know is how loud the pads really are. I've heard that the sound of hitting the pads is comparable to hitting phone books. And if that's really the case, then I might have to rethink getting the Yamahas.

If anybody can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How loud are the Yamaha pads really?

Hitting a phone book. Not a bad analogy, I guess. Or a practice pad. It's "how hard" you hit that makes the noise. You don't have to slam the pad hard at all to make them respond. But everyone has a different "annoyance" level, also. You may be fine sitting at the same table with someone on a typewriter, for hours on end While someone else might go nuts if the typewriter is 2 rooms away. Or in the next apartment, even. Perhaps you should take her to a store, show her the drums, bang on 'em, and get her perspective. Plus, you'll find out just how loud they are, and how hard/light you can hit them.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha DTXtreme III and the Roland TD12 and I'm leaning towards the Yammy for various reasons.

The Yamaha sound module is a little better than Roland but the trade-off in having mesh heads is far better....I would definitely go Roland....

Also the TD9 is about to come out and its very comparable to the TD12 but for over a thousand $$$ less so you may want to check that out......
Old 04-16-2008, 05:59 PM

I know things have moved on since then, but when i bought my TD8 3/4 years ago, it was definitely better than the Yamaha I tried, in pretty much every area.

Don't discount Roland out of hand.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 AM

I have a DTXpress III that I've fitted with a Roland mesh head (that I use as a snare).

The Yamaha pads are not as loud as phonebook. It is more of a tapping sound than a thud -- at least for the DTXpress III pads.

The loudest, most distinctive noise from the Yamaha pads (other than the kick) is the cymbols, which is less of a thudding sound, and more of a cracking sound (harder plastic than the regular pads).

I think it would be pretty much the same for the DTXtreme based on looking at pictures of the kit.

I find the Roland mesh head (Roland PDX - 8) to be quieter than the rubber Yamaha pads.

Note: I haven't got the Roland pad to be 100% compatible with the Yamaha module (doesn't register really light hits), but I wanted the feel, and 99% of the time play with the module off anyway, so it didn't matter.

If you were to even consider this, you'll also need to get a Roland clamp to fit the pad -- different attachment system than Yamaha.

Some other info that may help:

I live in a cheap apartment (student housing) and the people downstairs and beside me can hear thuds if I'm really hitting hard, but the main annoyance for them is the kick.

So other than the kick, they usually wouldn't be able to hear much more than tapping from a floor down, and we have cheap floors and walls.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM

In my opinion, the TD-12 is a far superior piece of kit than the yammy. If it's quiet you're looking for, then the mesh heads on the TD-12 are insanely quiet. I play a TD-12 at my teacher's house every week, in a silent room, so I can confidently say that they're probably the quietest electronic drums on the market.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Aight
I just spent about 2 hours on the new Yammie DTX IV @ GC and they' definitely feel better than before...The heads are like a soft gum-rubber feel but the catch is there is a lil red dial on each pad that alows you to tune for sensitivity....they are quiet but not as much as mesh ones...The kit cost 4,000...

Ultimitely I'm still going with a Roland....
Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Pioneer Member

I love Yamaha's acoustic kits, but hate their electronic kits. The Roland TD9 is an amazing electronic kit that I highly suggest. I just came back from a roland drum training session and we have a TD9 kit in our store and it's so amazing! The brain is the easiest module to use and has plenty of great features (rhythm coach and then some!). Also, it has mesh heads. Honestly mate, i'd go with the Roland TD9. It's much better than the Yamaha.