DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Agop Lenny White Epoch ride arrived!

Like the title says I just got the word today that the 22" Epoch ride finally arrived off the boat from Spain. I will be selecting one early next week Can hardly wait. The cymbal has recieved great press so far from several individuals who have recently come across the first shipment of them in drum shops across the border. Now it's time for Canadian players to check it out:}

Will post my impressions of it once I have a sample in my hands early next week. Pretty exciting!
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-18-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Agop Lenny White Epoch ride arrived!

Eagerly awaiting you review ( and hopefully sound files ) , Stan. Looks tasty.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Eagerly awaiting you review ( and hopefully sound files ) , Stan. Looks tasty.
Will do aydee once i've picked one out. Yummy indeed!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

For those interested in hearing some sound files of the Epoch they can be found at the bottom of the Special Edition Jazz section in the Agop listings at cymbalsonly.com. They just recieved 3 new 22" Epoch Lenny White Signature rides a few days back too. Like the heaviest one the best at 2890g to my ear.

http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/agop/agop.htm

Will post how they sound in the flesh when I have my own sample picked out to put through it's paces very soon on it's own and in a jazz ensemble situation.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Oh by the way samples of the new Idris Signature ride and the entire Azure line showed up too in the same shipment i've been told. If anyone wants me to post my impressions of any of those in particular if I have time well i'm there they can let me know. Definitey checking out the new 14" Azure hats since i've been looking for an alternate but something slightly different in sound character than my all time fave Agop Sig 14" hats.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Oh by the way samples of the new Idris Signature ride and the entire Azure line showed up too in the same shipment i've been told. If anyone wants me to post my impressions of any of those in particular if I have time well i'm there they can let me know. Definitey checking out the new 14" Azure hats since i've been looking for an alternate but something slightly different in sound character than my all time fave Agop Sig 14" hats.
Idris Muhammad? I just saw him play with Ahmad Jamal like two weeks ago. Fascinating player. I wonder if he was using the cymbal when I saw him.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
Idris Muhammad? I just saw him play with Ahmad Jamal like two weeks ago. Fascinating player. I wonder if he was using the cymbal when I saw him.

I would think so britt89 since he's had it in his hands before being introduced as a production available item at the Winter NAMM back in January.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

New pic of Lenny taken at the Madhatter Studio in LA with his new Epoch ride:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-18-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 PM
KARL MEMBER

Stan, very cool picture!!!
Now I remember...he plays open-handed. What projects is he currently doing?

Looks like he has a lot of fun playing his Frankenstein! =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 PM

When I first heard this ride was going to be medium heavy I was a little skeptical. It looks to be more of a medium weight with the weights they have on cymbalsonly. Of course these may be considered medium heavy to a true jazz player.

Plenty of stick definition. I like the 2812g file. However, this is still a jazz ride cymbal. Not the most versatile cymbal but I do like the dark trash you get with the crash accents.

The bell to me has pros & cons.
Con: Small sweet spot.
Pro: Smaller bell helps cut down the sustain of the crash accents.

Overall opinion: Good left side ride or primary jazz ride

Also, if you are going to spend $434.00 for a jazz ride, you might also check out some Zildjian K Constantinople rides to see if one of those might suit your taste.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidrummer View Post
When I first heard this ride was going to be medium heavy I was a little skeptical. It looks to be more of a medium weight with the weights they have on cymbalsonly. Of course these may be considered medium heavy to a true jazz player.

Plenty of stick definition. I like the 2812g file. However, this is still a jazz ride cymbal. Not the most versatile cymbal but I do like the dark trash you get with the crash accents.

The bell to me has pros & cons.
Con: Small sweet spot.
Pro: Smaller bell helps cut down the sustain of the crash accents.

Overall opinion: Good left side ride or primary jazz ride

Also, if you are going to spend $434.00 for a jazz ride, you might also check out some Zildjian K Constantinople rides to see if one of those might suit your taste.

These Epoch are indeed HEAVY rides IMO but do not play like any heavy ride i've ever seen or ever heard before. Yes it's indeed a jazz cymbal but it can deliver the goods in louder situations no problem better than anything i've owned and used in the past so far for it's required task. As for a left side ride well not IMO especially at 3025g in my case but each to his own on that I guess.

This cymbal really starts to shine bright and show it's stuff when used and heard in an actual musical context especially an electric jazz situation in Lenny's case or an intense at times 17 piece Big Band in my case. Then and only then do you really hear what Lenny was really going after with this cymbal. Great main cymbal in the actual playing of music where it truly counts for me filling and supporting the music {and musicians} just right.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Stan, very cool picture!!!
Now I remember...he plays open-handed. What projects is he currently doing?

Looks like he has a lot of fun playing his Frankenstein! =)

Karl

The Return to Forever Reunion World Tour starting at the beginning of June will be keeping Lenny and his new Epoch ride very busy for MANY months to come Karl.

Complete tour dates on Lenny's MySpace Music homepage:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...6-82c6de8debf3

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Got my ticket to see him and R.T.F. on June 13th. Can't wait to (but I guess I'll have to) hear his Agop Epoch.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Just came across this very nice You Tube clip by a fellow Istanbul Agop endorser the very fine Italian jazz drummer Alessandro Minetto which features very well his new Epoch ride in this small ensemble setting. Even for a You Tube level of sound quality it still sounds pretty darn sweet which comes as no great surprise to me:}. Great ride! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8zryGKMpOE

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Came across the Lenny White interview in the July issue of Modern Drummer well picking up a pair of sticks at the local shop today.

Lenny explains in the interview how the project with Agop came to be including all the various prototypes involved over a couple of years leading to the current issue production model we see today and the one that I have a sample of. It's was basically based off one of Tony's "grail" heavier old Turkish K rides heard on recordings with Miles which he played that's owned by Wallace Rooney. He was very specific in the article though that he wanted no exact character copy of it from Istanbul Agop but wanted a more new and interesting ride voice but with certain new and vintage elements combined in the ride cymbal. Lenny indicated the final production model after several false starts achieved that final goal for him of old and new creating a very unique modern interesting ride cymbal voice. He also indicated that "Epoch" was what he wanted it to be known as and not indicated with a Lenny White signature logo on it. Something new for the times for everyone as he put it. Apparently he kept 2 of an initial run of 25 which all met with his approval during testing at the LA Agop office.

There is also quite a very favorable review of one of the two of Lenny's hand picked personal copies of the Epoch in the review section in this issue. Soundfile of it on the online Modern Drummer site :

http://www.moderndrummer.com/multimedia.php

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

By the way the 10 shipped to Canada recently from Istanbul Agop that I tested of which I selected one from the Canadian Istanbul Agop distributor Heartbeat Percussion are not part of the 25 samples mentioned in the current MD article that were sent to the LA Agop office. Only fellow Canadians have laid their ears {and sticks} on this batch of 10 from the factory.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

I just went out and purchased the MD with the Lenny White interview {first on i've bought in over 15 years!}. The Lenny interview is really great and I wanted the Epoch related info near at hand for reference if needed.

Now speaking of which Lenny confirms in the interview that the Epoch was indeed based directly after the "Nefertiti" ride owned by Wallace Roney and played by Lenny himself. It was the heavier 22" old Turkish K Tony Williams played and used in recordings with Miles that had several rivet holes and the "hooked" edge and which later developed a crack so Wallace decided to retire it according to Lenny as stated in the interview.

So the Epoch is indeed Lenny and Agops new twist on the famous Tony Williams Nefertiti ride from the 60's.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 AM

So when are you going to rivet it? :-)

-Ryan
Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
So when are you going to rivet it? :-)

-Ryan
I'm not in regards to the Epoch. Love it in it's "all natural" state Ryan:}

Apparently the rivets were removed from the ride sometime around the time Tony played it on the landmark recording mentioned. Current story on it is Wallace has loaned it to Cindy Blackman crack and all to play at present.

Here's a picture I came across recently on the net of the actual original cymbal in question with the rivet holes, 'hooked" edge and sectional lathing patterns clearly shown from this bottom camera angle shot:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-18-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

I did some more recording with the Epoch on the weekend with a another jazz quartet i'm involved in and we used the Epoch specifically as the main ride for the entire recording session and again I was knocked on how well the recorded sound came close to the "Nefertiti" cymbal character especially on one burning up tempo swing original after hearing the playback on the studio speakers. Will try to get a copy of this and the Big Band live recording for posting samples to check out.

Here's another couple of updated sound file samples I just noticed of the autographed by Lenny sample of the Epoch on the cymbalshop.com site which appears to be VERY close to my heavier sample at 3025g. This is one's a very good sample as you can hear especially in regards to the stick click sound sitting clearly on top all the time, shank crashes and the beautiful dark underwash going on as heard in the sample sound files that definetely has the right "vibe" happening. Surprised it hasn't sold yet since it's a standout Epoch IMO.

http://www.thecymbalshop.com/shop/pr...1&cat=0&page=1

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 AM

I just listened to that sound sample. Wow, what a great sounding ride cymbal.You can definitely hear the click of the stick through the other tones. Now I understand why you're so excited about that Epoch, Stan. Especially when considering the kind of music you play.

I'm looking forward to hearing it with your projects.

Beautiful instrument.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I just listened to that sound sample. Wow, what a great sounding ride cymbal.You can definitely hear the click of the stick through the other tones. Now I understand why you're so excited about that Epoch, Stan. Especially when considering the kind of music you play.

I'm looking forward to hearing it with your projects.

Beautiful instrument.

Yes those sound files really deliver the goods for the showing my excitement about this new cymbal the Epoch ride Derek. You certainly hear the clear stick click always sitting above the dark full complex undertones which was what Lenny was after for the production model based off Tony's old cymbal it was modelled after with similar characteristics.

I'm working on getting the samples I mentioned into my hands but things unfortunately take time as always. The updated cymbalshop.com clips of this fine sample in particular are the best representation i've heard so far on the net of this stunning sounding ride when recorded. Sounds even better in the context of a recorded acoustic jazz performance with other instruments as you may have already guessed Derek.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan