DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 AM

Default Best Way To Get Sponsored?

Hi All,

I've started this post because I did a couple of quick searches for how to get sponsored and didn't get many hits... so I hope this will get something good started :)
Some quick background info about my situation... I'm almost totally self-taught (which is a deceptive label anyway since that just means I've learned by listening and, more recently, watching videos for technique refinement and inspiration), I'm 22 years old, a senior in college, and I've been playing set since Christmas of '98. Recently I joined up with two other guys and started a funk/rock/jazz band that's going really well (although we're still feeling out what style of music we're most interested in ultimately pursuing).
I feel that I'm becoming developed enough to get a sponsorship pretty soon and so my question is this.... What's the best way to get a sponsorship?? I'm not ready to sign a record deal yet (and neither are the other guys), but I've heard that getting signed is one of the best and easiest ways to get sponsored. Is that true? Are some companies easier to sign with than others?
I'd love to hear from anyone with advice, especially personal experience, on the matter. Thank you all so much for your time and let's keep the music coming! :)
( haha oh yeah, this is my first post ever, so please be kind )
Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best Way To Get Sponsored?

If your talking about drum or cymbal endorsements in a way of sponsorship most companies will like you to submit to them a professional level released CD that you are on representing your musical profile and your level of playing and in most cases if you are already involved in a touring act. One or the other or both is what most equipment companies are looking at in regards to endorsements and that's their basic requirements for endorsement deals with artist if that's the kind of sponsorship you were asking about. I'm endorsed by Istanbul Agop and Peace Drums just for reference in this discussion.

Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundpioneer View Post
Hi All,

I've started this post because I did a couple of quick searches for how to get sponsored and didn't get many hits... so I hope this will get something good started :)
Some quick background info about my situation... I'm almost totally self-taught (which is a deceptive label anyway since that just means I've learned by listening and, more recently, watching videos for technique refinement and inspiration), I'm 22 years old, a senior in college, and I've been playing set since Christmas of '98. Recently I joined up with two other guys and started a funk/rock/jazz band that's going really well (although we're still feeling out what style of music we're most interested in ultimately pursuing).
I feel that I'm becoming developed enough to get a sponsorship pretty soon and so my question is this.... What's the best way to get a sponsorship?? I'm not ready to sign a record deal yet (and neither are the other guys), but I've heard that getting signed is one of the best and easiest ways to get sponsored. Is that true? Are some companies easier to sign with than others?
I'd love to hear from anyone with advice, especially personal experience, on the matter. Thank you all so much for your time and let's keep the music coming! :)
You feel that you're becoming developed enough to get a sponsorship pretty soon? From who? You got anything to offer them?
Do you honestly think that we all go around being "sponsored?"
It's a very nutty idea. I wonder where such an idea comes from.
Brother, you don't need a sponsorship. Wherever you got that idea from, drop it right now and just keep playing.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Read Bermuda's Endosement FAQ.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

Companies want to sponsor players who:

A: Appear on recordings regularly, preferably nationally released recordings, not the kind that are sold out of trunks.

B: Play live regularly, either in a specific locale, on a touring basis, or both.

C: Hold a teaching position which gives them considerable notability, recognition and sway.

If none of these apply to you, like Jay Norem said, don't worry about it, just keep playing. You started playing drums because it's fun and you love it, not because maybe one day you could get some crap for free.

Companies are also wise to players who try to cast a wide net and hit up every company they can think of for an endorsement deal. They want to give endorsements to people who love and believe in their product and want to endorse it so they can get more people to love and believe in it too. That's why I pursued an endorsement with Bosphorus, and only Bosphorus, because I think they're the best cymbals in the history of the world...EVER...and I wanted my name and theirs to be associated. I still don't get cymbals for free, very few Bos endorsers do.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

You haven't mentioned any companies or products that you believe in. You are a senior in college. Your equipment needs may change greatly as you find your way in the professional music scene. Find products that you believe in - ones that you'll use for years. Then concern yourself with endorsements.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDrummer View Post
They want to give endorsements to people who love and believe in their product and want to endorse it so they can get more people to love and believe in it too.
I think you were writing this while I was writing my last post. You (we) hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Yes I agree if you don't 100% love the product your endorsing you will have very little if any credibility in my book and the company or companies involved will pick up on that pretty quick if you have a very flakey public stance on their products. I Stand 100% behind both the cymbals and drums I endorse without question as the very BEST available currently to me as a professional working player. Can't be any other way for me in regards to endorsements.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Pioneer Member

I do wish they'd make it easier to get drumstick deals for little guys though. I'd happily wear every piece of clothing that had Vater scribbled across every minute of the day just to get a discount at the moment. The cost of sticks is crippling my future as a drummer :(
Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
I do wish they'd make it easier to get drumstick deals for little guys though. I'd happily wear every piece of clothing that had Vater scribbled across every minute of the day just to get a discount at the moment. The cost of sticks is crippling my future as a drummer :(
So are drum heads... Yikes!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Exactly. You have to ask yourself "what do I have that they can profit from?" Do you gig regularly? How big is your draw? What equipment do you use? Do you have a full length professional album? Can we make any profit by having this drummer associated with our company? Do you tour? These are only a few questions that companies will look into when considering a new addition to their artist list.

Also, you really have to believe in the company that you want to be endorsed to. Going around to a whole bunch of companies and looking for an endorsment is going to make you look very bad and unprofessional. What drums, cymbals, sticks and drum heads do you use? As for me, if I was looking for an endorsment, which i'm not atm, I would choose Yamaha and Remo, but when it comes to cymbals and sticks, I always use different brands because i'm not ready to "commit" to a certain cymbal or stick brand haha.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

First off, you don't get sponsored by a company... YOU are endorsing them.

Thank being said, you need to be in a position that the said company feels they will sell more product because you use it. Touring is almost a must, and not like a week here or there. LOTS of touring. You need to basically be making a living as a musician touring, recording and/or teaching a lot of students.

My first endorsement came with Peace Drums and at the time I was teaching 20+ students a week (who all bought Peace kits).
Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

sounds like your absolutely ready to me man...especially if you have a myspace and like 10 fans 8 of which are your sibling or your folks....
seriously though, unless youre in a national touring act and have a cd out either self-realeased thats selling a ton or a label noones going to waste their time.
Keep in mind there are two levels of sponsorships (and it is a sponorship, they sponsor you by giving you their product and you endorse their product honestly)...totally free, which is incredibly rare these days unless you're selling millions of records or doing clinics every day of your life or you get cost...which is pretty much wholesale, same as retailers pay. Granted you get perks and a bit of name recognition.
I would really just urge you to work on the band and they endorsements will come. Make sure you go try for the company you love not just one to tide you over until the one you really want comes along...good luck and remember "dont be that guy." douchebags are a dime a dozen in this business their reputation follows them wherever they go.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
First off, you don't get sponsored by a company... YOU are endorsing them.
Exactly! A company may sponsor a clinic or the like, but the fact remains that YOU are endorsing the company, not the other way around.

Here's an article I wrote on the topic back in 2002: How Do You Get An Endorsment Deal?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM

So I guess I should spend my $10k on a good DW kit instead of breast implants for my wife?
Gibraltar Rack
Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 AM

I think we've all dreamed of being sponsored by our favorite drum and cymbal companies :) It probably won't happen for me (I love and use premier and paiste), and you know what, I'm not bothered about the free/cheap products because - not being arrogant or anything.. I have all the equipment I need already LOL. I think its the principle of a company having faith in you and and the whole ego thing that does it perhaps :>

The truth is.. if another company came up to me instead... what would I do? GIVE UP PAISTE?!?! SELL MY GENISTA?!??! :( ! I don't think I could =] I will support them and have their logos regardless, because I want people to know that I like them. Unless of course they kill my family.

It would be cool to have my own cymbal though. The "CHALCEDONY SLAB OF METAL RIDE".... yeah... 1 inch thick, so heavy that it breaks your wrist, and it just goes TING TING and people's ears bleed and complain about the product and the company goes bust, which gets it in the news, and then everyone goes "wow no way, I have to buy this ride cymbal" and people die.

Good luck though bro! perhaps go for a smaller company? find some hand made cymbals made by one man and his wife who doesn't speak english, and just keep smiling, and maybe he'll let you design his whole cymbal range.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not ready to sign a record deal yet (and neither are the other guys),
If you're not ready for a record deal, what in the world makes you think any company will "sponsor" you over the thousands of drummers out there who playing on a regular basis but still have to buy all their own gear?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

most endorsers don't get free gear anyways, just cost and you have to buy a bunch of stuff to get it. but if your buying sticks a dozen pair at a time and and going through heads every two weeks there are places you can buy stuff like that for at discounted rates.

You can practically get things at cost anyways at guitar center using their lowest price guarantee.

just play lots of shows, keep track of your appearances, definitely get video footage of any t.v. appearances you do. nothing will get you endorsed faster than being on the tonight show.. have a nationally distributed cd. or teach lessons to 25 something kids.

also for some reason christian band drummers all seem to be endorsed by everybody! but you can see why because they play to a ton of kids who are really impressionable and usually into music programs at their churches.

also I think it's easier to start off smaller. you don't have to try hard to get alcohol companies to endorse your band or gigs. also cigarette companies too. you don't even have to use their products they don't care as long as they can attach their name to your group. my band has done stuff for Guinness and dos xx before on one off occasions.

then I would think stick endorsements are easier than drum sets or cymbals just because they are cheaper.

I had a question for people who have endorsement contracts though... say your a yamaha endorser and you play alot of festivals and they provide the drumset and it's a DW. does this violate your contract? I've just been playing a lot of festivals lately and they are usually the higher profile gigs I do. Also when you go out of the country and a kit is rented for you you don't always get what you endorse how does that work out?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
I had a question for people who have endorsement contracts though... say your a yamaha endorser and you play alot of festivals and they provide the drumset and it's a DW. does this violate your contract? I've just been playing a lot of festivals lately and they are usually the higher profile gigs I do. Also when you go out of the country and a kit is rented for you you don't always get what you endorse how does that work out?
It happens to enough drummers that most companies know that sometimes a drummer can't use their own gear on some festivals and such.

As for tours overseas or where you other wise can't be with your set, all the big names have gear stored all over the word or available via rental agencies, to be available for use when a name drummer is traveling somewhere, although granted, that still doesn't always work for every situation. I've seen many drummers using rental gear with the logo of the rental kick duct taped over.

I think the key point is to keep your rep at the company informed in as to why you can't use your gear for certain situations so as to avoid questions.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJacobs View Post
There are also different types of endorsement but companies will only be interested if, as already said, you have lots of gigs so a large amount of people will see you play their product.
This isn't completely true: some companies will and do give endorsements to high-profile educators, not only folks who do lots of gigs. If you teach a 'large amount of people', have a proven track-record as an educator, and have a well-established loyalty to your brand(s) of choice, many companies will talk to you.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedrummer View Post
So I guess I should spend my $10k on a good DW kit instead of breast implants for my wife?
Haha, OH MY GOD, you just made my day!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
Basically, if it's a rent a kit, I tell the cartage company what I play. Most have a Ludwig kit in stock. If not, then it's whatever they have in my sizes, and a plain white head on the front.

Generally, the cartage companies take care of things.

When I am in the UK, Ludwigs distributor is informed of where I will be and they take care of it. John Henry's , the biggest rental in London, is informed, and they can handle it.

I am going to the UK for a Tour in June, and I am actually getting those things sorted out now...!

Funny story. When I was in Moscow with Gloria Gaynor, the management sent all the details of what kit I needed, etc. When I showed up, there was a no name kit from 1973, with heads that were all different, and pitted, and 2 cymbal stands with no felts.

Thankfully, one of the stage hands was a drummer, and new of a decent drum shop an hour away, and ran out for some heads and felts and such. Nightmare.

So, sometimes you just have to polish a turd, and off you go!

Hope that helps.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:05 AM

Here's the story of Gavin Harrison's Sonor endorsement deal:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...or-endorsement

Quote:
I was playing in Italy in 2000 when I met Tony Italia (the Sonor distributor for Australia).

He really wanted me to play Sonor drums and told all the Sonor management about me.

When I got home (late 2000) I got a call from Ian Croft (the artists relations manager) and he lent me a Sonor Designer kit. I really liked it so I switched to playing Sonor around the start of 2001 and I've been happily playing them ever since.
Definitely seems for endorsement deals, they come to you, and oddly enough nobody is knocking my door down begging for endorsements :(

I should mention no company stands to gain any market visibility endorsing me..perhaps thats the issue?

http://www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Endorsements can be a double-edged sword, but if you are dead-keen to chase after them, play the product because you LOVE THE PRODUCT -Not because you can get discounted or free gear.

An endorsment is a business relationship at the end of the day, and not there as a reward for reaching a certain level of skill or popularity. Sadly, many players do not understand this and this is why I see so many endorsement requests getting knocked back.

Quote:
Here's the story of Gavin Harrison's Sonor endorsement deal:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...or-endorsement
Tony was also of some assistance to me. Hes a great guy.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Read Bermuda's Endosement FAQ.
I think this should be a sticky in all drummer forums.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

The endorsement deal is a tough road to navigate. Currently I'm with several drum accessory related operations with cool/ interesting products and people I like, Slapstik, Power Wrist Builders etc. These guys help keep me out there with print ads, NAMM gigs and mid range appearence sponsorships. But as everybody's already said, you have to like their product anyway, and they have to be getting something from you. For them the fit has to make ideal sense.

Take Power Wrist Builders. I really do use that product every day in my warmup, and everybody's who's known me for more than 10 minutes knows that. In other words it's not just a prop. And that company has always pushed the notion/among other things/ that properly using PWBs can help provide endurance and make you faster. So for them it makes sense to use me, although I lack the experience of some of their other guys.

Slapstik is interesting because the owner of the company sent me one, and for a while I wasn't sure about it. It sat in my stick bag for months until I picked it up one day and started experimenting. Over time I warmed up to it and did find it beneficial enough to start using in regular situations. Then, when I saw those guys slammed by drum forum trolls from numerous boards, I took some time to defend them because I wanted to. Well, it turns out the Slapstik creators actually viewed themselves as underdogs trying to reach people one drummer at a time. So my story was a good fit, which turned them into my NAMM sponsor. They are the nicest guys in the world, and we have a great relationship.

But, for people at my stage, who have some name rec but aren't universally well known, I think you have to be more careful with the big three, drumset, cymbals and sticks. I know a couple of semi well known drummers my age, who eagerly signed with lesser known companies, to push gear they didn't care about, because they just wanted to say they were endorsed. They regret it now when they try to do the music store clinic shows, and realize their guys don't have the financial means to provide their part of the sponsorship cut. So with drumset and cymbals, I've flirted and had several offers, but I think there's time for that when I am more established and can actually perform on their products at a better level, with more people seeing me do it.

The only paradox in my endorsement situation is the lack of a proper stick deal. Not having that sorted out in the present remains frustrating. Most of the companies have thrown something out there, including some packages from emerging companies, that looked decent, but didn't have the long term legs required to keep up a relationship. Still, this is the only one where I feel in a position to forward a signature product. A 19 year old WFD with other skills and halfway decent name recognition, can absolutely sell a signature stick, especially to younger drummers. But it's my job to convince the company, not the other way around.

But I will.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Has anyone seen the endorsement scene in Wayne's World?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLtZBnb7LA

Last edited by genericdrummingusername; 04-25-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: excellent link
Old 04-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
who eagerly signed with lesser known companies, to push gear they didn't care about, because they just wanted to say they were endorsed. They regret it now when they try to do the music store clinic shows, and realize their guys don't have the financial means to provide their part of the sponsorship cut.
Well said, Matt! Couldnt agree more.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

Wouldn't you have to be quite famous to get such a deal? Why would a company sponsor someone that nobody's ever heard of? I'd guess that they'd want somone who is always out there in the public eye, someone who sells CDs and tours regularly with a well known band or singer.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I'd guess that they'd want somone who is always out there in the public eye, someone who sells CDs and tours regularly with a well known band or singer.
Correct, the musician's level of exposure and influence governs the deal. It does little good for a company to sign a player who's not known, who plays for an artist who's unknown.

Bermuda
Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 PM

one other way of getting endorsed is youtube, there are a handfull of drummers (vadrum, cobus, chaserr) who have got endorsements just through covering songs and putting them on youtube etc. but again your looking for hundreds of thousands of views with good ratings for endorsements.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

I am always so nervous working with rental kits but I have been really lucky i guess. I did a showcase in los angeles and I sent them my list of everything by brand and then we didn't hear back from them. I ended up bringing my cymbals and pedals and stuff becuase I was worried, when we got to the venue for sound check they had everything EXACTLY how I said on the paper. I mean identical model pedals, every cymbal was exactly what I specified. I should have known better that in los angeles these things will be possible.

I just did a 2 week festival and they had a nice dw kit and 3 different snares to choose from at the main stage and then a yamaha stage custom on one of the smaller stages so it was pretty good. I wasn't surprised at the nice gear though because the headliners were hugh masakela, ohio players, los lobos, etc. so they rented nice gear for those guys and I was just lucky to get to play on them.

I'm going to europe next march and I'm worried about it because I think we are going to end up borrowing equipment from some friends over there, but I think it will work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Petrillo View Post
Basically, if it's a rent a kit, I tell the cartage company what I play. Most have a Ludwig kit in stock. If not, then it's whatever they have in my sizes, and a plain white head on the front.

Generally, the cartage companies take care of things.

When I am in the UK, Ludwigs distributor is informed of where I will be and they take care of it. John Henry's , the biggest rental in London, is informed, and they can handle it.

I am going to the UK for a Tour in June, and I am actually getting those things sorted out now...!

Funny story. When I was in Moscow with Gloria Gaynor, the management sent all the details of what kit I needed, etc. When I showed up, there was a no name kit from 1973, with heads that were all different, and pitted, and 2 cymbal stands with no felts.

Thankfully, one of the stage hands was a drummer, and new of a decent drum shop an hour away, and ran out for some heads and felts and such. Nightmare.

So, sometimes you just have to polish a turd, and off you go!

Hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I was playing in Italy in 2000 when I met Tony Italia (the Sonor distributor for Australia).

He really wanted me to play Sonor drums and told all the Sonor management about me.

When I got home (late 2000) I got a call from Ian Croft (the artists relations manager) and he lent me a Sonor Designer kit. I really liked it so I switched to playing Sonor around the start of 2001 and I've been happily playing them ever since.
I think that name rings a bell is he the editor for the uk based drum mag rhythm?

I'm sure it is, everyone seems to know each other, it's definitely who you know in this industry.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Part of the reason I got a youtube channel, other than putting out drum covers, was to possibly get sponserd. I notice alot of people on there put out alot of videos at one time and then stop so I try to space my videos out so if a company is looking at my profile they can see I'm still druming. In addition to drum covers I hope to eventually start making videos about different things about druming. I hope to get sponsered by Sabian so I'm going to switch over to sabian cymbals, and because they seem better than zildjian. The way I see it is that if you enjoy using one brands equipment and you play well because of it than theyre going to notice that. If you look at other famous drummers on youtube like deedlebag you see on his cymbal lineup he plays Paiste and Sabian, I think, and he isn't sponsered by any cymbal companies although he is very popular on youtube. I'm glad I started making my videos now while im 13 so by the time I'm 18 or 19 I might start getting more publicity and hopefully a sponsership deal. I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to get sponsered but I like it and it works for me.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysthedrummer View Post
I'm sure it is, everyone seems to know each other, it's definitely who you know in this industry.
And just as important: who knows you.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

No matter how good you are, which band youre in, youtube or not, the bottom line for endorsee companies is that you have to be able to sell product.

If you are playing in front of thousands of people every night, then chances are, youd be a good investment because lots of people are going to see what youre playing.

Similarly, a lot of retailers get sponsorships without being famous, as do teachers, because their influence creates sales for said companies.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder if I'd even want to be sponsored, not that it could ever happen to me, but what if you're locked into a drum manufacturer and you pretty much have to play what they give you? You might find something that you like better. Wouldn't that violate the terms of your sponsorship, playing another company's drums/cymbals/sticks/heads?
Wouldn't it be better to just play whatever you want to play, and pay for it with your own money? That way you wouldn't owe anybody anything, and you wouldn't be "owned" by anyone.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwildman View Post
Part of the reason I got a youtube channel, other than putting out drum covers, was to possibly get sponserd. I notice alot of people on there put out alot of videos at one time and then stop so I try to space my videos out so if a company is looking at my profile they can see I'm still druming. In addition to drum covers I hope to eventually start making videos about different things about druming. I hope to get sponsered by Sabian so I'm going to switch over to sabian cymbals, and because they seem better than zildjian. The way I see it is that if you enjoy using one brands equipment and you play well because of it than theyre going to notice that. If you look at other famous drummers on youtube like deedlebag you see on his cymbal lineup he plays Paiste and Sabian, I think, and he isn't sponsered by any cymbal companies although he is very popular on youtube. I'm glad I started making my videos now while im 13 so by the time I'm 18 or 19 I might start getting more publicity and hopefully a sponsership deal. I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to get sponsered but I like it and it works for me.
You're only 13 you've got years to go before you reach near 20! You never know what life may bring before that age.

You'd have to be a good drummer, a very lucky one at that before you probably even get considered a thought of endorsment via an online video website. I didn't know this has happened to people on youtube? I can see why it probably has then if there are alot of youngters watching it's a good marketing strategy, maybe a little exploited.

Quote:
And just as important: who knows you.
Just as. Forgot about that one!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 AM

You clearly have a lot to learn:

'I'm not ready to sign a record deal yet (and neither are the other guys), but I've heard that getting signed is one of the best and easiest ways to get sponsored. Is that true?'

So you think that once YOU are ready, people will be offering you record deals left, right and centre?

'EASIEST WAYS?'

Getting signed is not a matter of easy or hard, it's whether you have something sell-able; and then if you're lucky enough to be discovered.

Anyway, I'll stop pointing out your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject and give you my OPINION - not the truth - or the right or wrong answer, so please don't argue.

In the simplest description, an endorsement deal runs like this:

You have to be able to offer a company the opportunity to market and sell more of there products. It's not about how good a player you are; I'm not judging you, you may be the next Benny Greb for all I know.

So; how can you offer a company that?

First; you have to be accessible i.e. playing a LOT of gigs, or in the public eye e.g. pop sessions, TV appereances etc.

Second; you have to be able to sell the product i.e. be popular or play in such a way that potential customers look up to you, and therefore relate good playing and a good sound with the product.

I could go on, but as I said; this a simple description and MY OPINION; not necsarrily right, but since you asked ... there you go.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM

Save your breath, the OP hasn't been here since the day following his only post, almost 21 months ago.

Bermuda