DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 AM

Default What makes a good musician?

When you listen to a band/solo musician, what qualities do you look for when deciding whether you like them or not?

For guitarers, drummists, singists, bassers, percussioners, etc. (I like switching suffixes)

For most musicians, good showmanship-people can rag on Lars Ulrich all they want, but if they see him in concert, they better be prepared for the amazing calistetics, Lars influences a lot of my showmanship.

For singers, I like a person who can wail, someone with a decent range, and good stage presence, maybe even some air guitaring.
For guitarists, I like someone who can play good in the parts that need elaboration, I can respect some progressive/technical parts where the rhythm feels weird, but only if done in the right portions, like the melodic part on tom sawyer.
For drummers, I like it when they play for the song, but I also like when they bust out their prime fills, just as long as it goes right and doesn't completely ruin the guitarists time to shine during a solo.
for bassists, I like to not hear them,lol....unless their doing a little bridge part where they do a funky little jam, in that case I like hearing them.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: What makes a good musician?

For me, someone who understands the importance of space and dynamics.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

Good question.

I think it's more than one thing--improvisation--and also knowing when to not play or let out., good feel/rhythm(not just for drummers) and along with that a sense of time and tempo, being able to play more than one style and mixed it up--not just play one style and limit yourself to that but sort of mix different styles, accents&dynamics go with groove, a good ability to harmonize. an ability to play your instrument--whether it's playing up to speed on drums or knowing chords or notes and being able to make them up...

It's so many things.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

The need to have something to say, musically.

The ability & skill & technique to express through your voice or instrument, what you feel.

The ability to listen. ( to music, other other musicians playing with you, to the voice of the universe )

To be an keen observer of the human condition.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

The list is huge but here's some basics that come into play for me for a group player specifically in a sideman situation. Big "ears" in other words a great listener to everything going on around you and knowing how respond and NOT respond musically speaking based on what's happening in the music at any given time. Other qualities:good attitude,desire to learn and constantly improve, leave your ego at the door IE: learn to accept and know how to deal with constructive criticism about your playing,expect the unexpected in other words be prepared for change and be seriously dedicated to whatever your trying to achieve. Could go on forever that's just a very basic starting point from my personal perspective from 34 years of professional group experience

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM
jay norem

A good musician is one who makes you forget what instrument he's playing and instead causes you to experience joy and ecstasy.
It also helps if he can play well with others. And has good gear.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
A good musician is one who makes you forget what instrument he's playing and instead causes you to experience joy and ecstasy.
If that is true, I don't think I've ever seen a good musician. The part of experiencing joy, yeah that's familiar but I don't forget the kind of instruments they're playing.

Another aspect of being a good musician is to be able to deliver a performance on demand, not just whenever you feel inspired to do so.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Another aspect of being a good musician is to be able to deliver a performance on demand, not just whenever you feel inspired to do so.
Dont know about that, Big Philly.
That rules out Charlie Parker, Chet Baker, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, Jaco Pastorious, Miles Davis, Jim Morrison.......& so on........
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

This is a definitely a pretty wide question with a lot of different situations. I would say that a good musician is ALWAYS listening and thinking while playing his or her instrument, never forgetting about what other people are hearing. Included in listening are proper use of dynamics, good timekeeping, not overplaying or underplaying, and loads upon loads of other important qualities. It is important as others said to put the music in front of your ego or your ambitions to show off your chops constantly. This isn't a problem for a good musician, however, he or she still has massive chops. I believe that a good musician (in a perfect world) practices as often as he or she can.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Gold Member

A lot of it has to do with dedication, if someone is really in to what they're doing with all their heart then I can better respect them as a musician. I see a lot of people who play instruments and say they're "musicians" but they never put in the practice time they need to become great.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:34 PM

What makes good musicians is passion, soul, integrity, professionalism, musicianship, creativity, and song-writing abilities.

No matter the genre, or instument.

Last edited by Citizen Insane; 04-11-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 PM

you gotta have the soul yo
Old 04-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Pioneer Member

THIS.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

and these 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cq3w...eature=related
Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

For me, musicality has to do with timing and dynamics.

All timing should be fast, all dynamics should be loud. :)
Old 05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

I think there are a number of factors that are involved in making one a good musician. Here's a list that I've thought of and I'm ranking them from most imortant to least important.
1.) Personality/attitude- no one wants to play with a butt hole. It's very difficult to become a team player with someone who is selfish, egotistical or difficult to work with.
2.) Feel - You can have all the technical ability in the world, but if you can't apply it or play with a feel and groove, you're not going to play with the better players.
3.) Ability - You gotta have some ability and if you have alot of ability and alot of feel, you're probably going to have a good career.
4.) Awareness - In order to function as a team player within a group or band setting, you should be aware of the other players in the band and what they are playing in order to compliment their playing, rather than detract from it.
5.) Intelligence/common sense - There are a number of situations that will arise in one's career that will require smart and sensible decisions. Like refraining from drug and alchohol abuse, knowing when to seize an opportunity, avoiding conflict, dealing with club owners, etc.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Ability to adapt to different musical situations, good timing, good sense of dynamics and easy to work with.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

playing more than one instrument :p...haha

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY