DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 AM

Default Need some E-Drum Purchase Advice

So I'm a beginning drummer looking to buy a drum set. I'm looking to get electronic drums because noise is an issue and I'm looking for some advice. My budget is around $1,000 and I'm buying in Canada. Been doing a lot of research and have found some possibilities within my price range and I just wanted to make sure I would be getting the best deal and a quality set. So here are the deals I'm considering:
  • At my local drum store they have a Yamaha DTXpress III for rental ($100/month) and they do work out rent-to-own type deals. At this store this kit retails for $749.
  • A local craigslist ad has a dude selling his Yamaha DTXpress IV (standard, with a pedal and stool) for $950.
  • Another local music store has a TD-3SW (mesh snare) for rental at $120/month where the 1st month would go towards the purchase if you plan to buy the kit. Retails at $1100
  • Another local craigslist ad has a guy selling his TD3SW (with pedal and warranty) set for 900$

So those are my four main options I'm looking into. They seem like a good compromise between quality and price as far as I can tell. I've also been looking at the Alesis Dm5 Pro and Yamaha DTXplorer as possibilities. Only problem is that those two sets seem hard to come by in Canada.

Anyways, any input into how I should go about choosing would be greatly appreciated. I'm not so sure what the DTXpress 3 is in comparison to the DTXpress 4, or whether people prefer the roland kits over Yamaha. Anyways, any input into how I should go about choosing would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Need some E-Drum Purchase Advice

well Rolands are very good, from personal experience...i've never played a Yamaha or Alesis...but my TD-3S kit is awesome and i wouldn't trade it for anything...well except another Roland kit....but i've heard nothing but good reviews for the TD-3....it's defninetly not a professional level kit, but it great nontheless and it gets stuff done.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 AM
Pioneer Member

I would also suggest the Roland. Anything with a mesh pad will have a more realistic feel to it.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Hey

I have DTXpress 3 that I got second hand (with a broken High Hat Controller - module doesn't recognize it) for about 650 Cdn. at the time (with cheap kick pedal and throne), but I had to pick it up from the States, so, I'd say $750 is a fair price.

Anyway, it is a good kit, and the module is good and has lots of features, but to be honest, I find that I don't use the module much.

I had tried out the Roland TD-3W before buying, and didn't like the module as much. I thought the DTXpress 3 sounds were better, and found the TD 3W features to be limited in comparison.

One of the things I did though was get a Roland mesh head for use as a snare (Roland PDX -8). It needs a different clamp though, so when all was said and done, the pad and clamp cost me about 180 Cdn.

It was a good investment in my opinion though - different feel, different sound (helps me pick out patterns better), but it doesn't work perfectly with the DTXpress 3 module (doesn't pick up light hits).

As for noise, check this thread (where I describe my living situation and loudness): http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=37562

In Summary:

- I would get the DTXpress 3. The module is better than the TD 3W and cheaper.

- Plus, I find that since I like to drum while listening to music through headphones, I rarely use the module at all, so the fact that my Roland mesh head doesn't work 100% of the time through the Yamaha module is irrelevant for me