DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Gibraltar 8600 Flat Base Stand Review

Hey I picked up one of these stands for just $40 and it is certainly worth it. For those that don't know, the 8600 is the flat base lightweight series by Gibraltar. These things would make great stands for anyone, especially people who need efficient stands for traveling. It's really light, folds up pretty small (a lot smaller than my Mapex double braced hardware) and can be placed really close to other stands and drums. The top has a fancy little gear tilter thing, so you can angle the cymbal the way you want to. I imagine the rest of the series is nice as well. When you don't need a massive heavy stand, get one of these. (It can hold cymbals like my 21" Sweet Ride and 22" Swish too, but right now I have it using my 14" Fast crash so I can squeeze it under my other stands)
Old 04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Gibraltar 8600 Flat Base Stand Review

I love these light stands too. Unless you are a serious thrasher, they really work. I've played rock and blues gigs with them, and never knocked one over yet. Plus I can actually fit my hardware into a small light bag. Yay for lightweight hardware. Give it look if you haven't already...

I got some ludwig ones, which admittedly were the cheapest I could find. They looked like garbage to me at first and though I've stripped the "locking" mechanism, the stands still work fine. I would upgrade to the gibraltar next time.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Both my cymbal stands are the DW flat-base. They're very stable - tho I must say I'm not a real heavy hitter, I've never had any problem, even with the K Heavy Ride. The only reason I got the DWs rather than a cheaper brand is because they were a great deal - my next stand will probably be a Gibralter flat-base snare.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

...I have a full set of the DW flush based hardware.

My only complaint is that using three cymbal stands, two snare stands, and a hihat stand makes it a little more difficult to position everything to where it feels right. This is because the legs sit almost flush with the floor, so you can not easily overlap stands as you can with regular tri pod based hardware.

I also like the Gibralter stands, and have one of their hihat stands for my franken kit.

Barry
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Yamaha C650 and C655 hardware. Lightweight as anything but top quailty. Yet for them to fall over even with a 22" ride extended out. Amazing hardware, highly recommend. Also very cheap.
Save your back, save your wallet.