DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Railroad Media

One of my students loaned me a copy of the Moeller Methods Secrets video by Mike Michalkow. I have heard some negative things on this forum about Railroad Media, but after seeing Mike's video, he seems to be a good teacher with much to offer.

This leads me to a question:

What if a "very well known, creditable drummer/educator" produced a package under Railroad Media? Would anyone consider it "career damaging" or does it basically come down to the content? Would anyone not buy the video because it is Jared Falk's company? Is the way it is advertised effect your decision?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Railroad Media

I had purchased that DVD and found it quite informative. It's not that bad as far as an educational DVD goes. I have however seen Jared's videos and find that they're not in the same league. I guess first impressions last so advertising through Railroad Media seems pretty risky stuff.

I guess the uninformed are most at risk when dealing with Railroad media products but I guess there's a little good in alot of bad as it is with most things in life.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
One of my students loaned me a copy of the Moeller Methods Secrets video by Mike Michalkow. I have heard some negative things on this forum about Railroad Media, but after seeing Mike's video, he seems to be a good teacher with much to offer.

This leads me to a question:

What if a "very well known, creditable drummer/educator" produced a package under Railroad Media? Would anyone consider it "career damaging" or does it basically come down to the content? Would anyone not buy the video because it is Jared Falk's company? Is the way it is advertised effect your decision?
Excellent question....can a creditable drummer bring legitimacy to Railroad Media...or would Railroad Media "damage" a creditable drummer........hmmmm.........I guess it most depends upon who the drummer is and what the content is, but I would say a creditable drummer would bring some legitimacy to Railroad Media as opposed to being "damaged." If the product was good, I guess I'd be prone to purchase it. But I'd certainly like to hear more comments on the question.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:09 AM

I feel that the earlier Railroad Media stuff was lame..Jared Falk was not a very good teacher. The concepts were not original.

If some REALLY creditable drummer put out a DVD with their company, it would help Railroad Media, but maybe not the drummer...

It might hurt the drummer to be associated with Railroad Media, even if the drummer is good, and the DVD is good with good teaching...

They would have to change their marketing to less "infomercial" approach...

tough call...but I think the artist could lower his reputation...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Silver Member

For sure... If someone credible released a DVD with Railroad it would bring up their credibility.

Say Thomas Lang... Jojo Mayer... Dennis Chambers. If any of these guys released a new DVD, people would be jumping all over it, not matter what company it was brought out by.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 PM

I have that DVD. Mike is personable & does a good job of teaching the method. No 'secret' type of crap. Just straight up technique & the video production is pretty good. Just for the record, I'm no fan of RM either. However, there are plaenty of free sources out there that teach the same thing. Just look around before buying.

Peace
Gibraltar Rack
Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

I think ultimately the creditability of the work someone produces comes from the material included and the way it's presented. I don't think that just because it's associated with Jared or Railroad would be a neccesarily be negative thing the student or person we're talking about. And if it's done well, it would certainly HELP both parties!

If someone credible released a DVD with Railroad it would certianly raise their credibility. I mean after all, we all start from somewhere.

If it were me, I'd check out some of their previous work? Is the video and audio quality good? Can they do a good job editing? Does it look professional or home made?

As long as it comes off as being professional, I don't see how it could hurt. But then again, it's not my @ss going in front of the cameras either....

Just my thoughts.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drums View Post
I think ultimately the creditability of the work someone produces comes from the material included and the way it's presented. I don't think that just because it's associated with Jared or Railroad would be a neccesarily be negative thing the student or person we're talking about. And if it's done well, it would certainly HELP both parties!

If it were me, I'd check out some of their previous work? Is the video and audio quality good? Can they do a good job editing? Does it look professional or home made?

I agree with some of those points. All are important questions to ask.

However, what irks me in the back of my mind is that regardless of the positive things that MAY come from doing a production with RM, that fact that people are doubting them in the first place...instead of saying right off the bat, "YEA!! GO FOR IT! RAILROAD IS AWESOME!!" is strong reason enough NOT to sign on board with them.

Why take the chance when there's other companies who can produce the same thing?

That's my $.03.