DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Second Crash Placement???

Hi All,

I started drumming a short while back and my learning curve is still straight up. A while back I got the Zildjian Custom A Cymbal pack. It included a 18 inch, Fast Crash I play standard right handed by the book set up. I have the left hand high hat and crash and the right hand ride. I want to add the second crash so I decided to put it on the right side, makes sense to me, one on each side. Might come in handy if time is short.

Does anybody have any suggestions on placement of the second crash in a traditional right had set up? I have tried it to the right and left of the ride cymbal. Here are a couple of pictures to show you what I mean.

The first pictures are with the crash outside the ride, the second set on inside.

I got really lucky and have a very nice set up. Pearl Master’s Custom, Zildjian Custom A’s and a Black Beauty. My drum teacher cost me some money, went to his home studio for a lesson and stomped on DW pedals. Back went the Pearl’s and home came the DW bass and High Hat. The Ludwig Black Beauty is amazing too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Second Crash Placement???

The Inside Crash Placement shots...
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM

what i do is put my ride above my floor tom really low and flat
then i put my seccond crash about the 2nd rack tom
Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

There's a number of options but it's all personal preference. I personally find my cymbals easiest to hit when placed more to the left and right of my toms and less beyond them. Picture:

I prefer to the right side of the ride cymbal. Another option is to place a crash to the left side of the hi-hats if you crash with your left hand, or are atleast comfortable with that. I have one less tom than you, so cymbal positioning is a little easier. But then again I have one more cymbal. Try things out, play like you normally would, and pick what's comfortable.

By the way, sweet kit. You definitely have some sweet gear. I don't think you can beat the Black Beauty.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 AM

"I hate your cymbals, you're tom angles are all screwed up, there's lint in your navel, and the color sucks. And what's up with the rabbit living in the bass drum? " (Sorry guys, couldn't resist, this is an inside joke)

Seriously, John, nice kit. Your Black Beauty looks like it belongs there. Told you the gang here would offer more tips than I could. Play you heart out, brother.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 AM

It's all about personal tastes. I personally play a 4 piece kit so I set it up kinda like youenjoy00myself's kit

BUt a good thing is tu sit behind your kit close your eyes and play a very simple beat and try to hit your crash where it feels most natural and just place your crash there. there's no good or bad way to set up your kit, there's just your way

here's how my kit is set up (sorry for the crappy quality I took it with my silly cell phone)

Above : the right hand crash is in the far right top corner

Old 04-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Hi John.

Personally, I'd go along with what Bob Smith said. Drop the ride down so it's lower and flatter. and overlaps your floor tom slightly, then try your crash up above your second rack tom.

You should also find that your arm aches less when doing extended passages on the ride.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Here's how I roll, which is similar to you. I like a small crash to the left, larger crash to the right, just above my ride, just off to the right of the bell. It's logical and since I ended up getting tendonitis (I'm also a relative beginner at 18 mo.), I moved everything down low and as close together as possible to be as comfortable as possible.

I started with a setup almost identical to yours. I had the ride off to the right, however, just above the floor tom and I found that it threw my balance off and my feet were not as agile that way. In the end, that extra rack tom had to go, I wanted my ride down low and easy to reach.

And yeah, I couldn't agree more, my Black Beauty is the only snare I want to use anymore - it's not pictured but I use it with this kit. Now you just need some Ludwig classic maples and you'll be set! ;)
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Big_Philly

I have a set-up similar to yours: the ride cymbal above the right rack tom and a crash to the right of that. I prefer that way, and I have the crash below the ride, above the floor tom. Nice kit you got there!

It's all personal preference though, I haven't always played this way. I used to have my ride above the floor tom and my second crash where you have your ride now. Do as you please.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Here's how I roll, which is similar to you. I like a small crash to the left, larger crash to the right, just above my ride, just off to the right of the bell. It's logical and since I ended up getting tendonitis (I'm also a relative beginner at 18 mo.), I moved everything down low and as close together as possible to be as comfortable as possible.

I started with a setup almost identical to yours. I had the ride off to the right, however, just above the floor tom and I found that it threw my balance off and my feet were not as agile that way. In the end, that extra rack tom had to go, I wanted my ride down low and easy to reach.

And yeah, I couldn't agree more, my Black Beauty is the only snare I want to use anymore - it's not pictured but I use it with this kit. Now you just need some Ludwig classic maples and you'll be set! ;)

Nice set man. I like the tom on stand!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 AM

Hey!

Well what I do is place it above my ride cymbal, but as i can see you got the ride a little high, so what I would do is place the crash above my floor tom

here are some pics how I place it
Attached Images

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth