DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Roland Drum Amplification

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I'll go ahead and post it anyways. I'm playing with some guys in our school talent show this year, and it's being held in our gym. If I can't borrow my church's mixer (I'm also the drummer for our youth praise band at church, so I can probably use their mixer) , then I'll have to use my dad's keyboard amp. It's a Roland amp, but it's not that big. Would that be enough to project sound throughout the gym, or would I need something a little more powerful?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roland Drum Amplification

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the wattage of your dad's Roland. I have 2 Roland PM-1's and a Roland KC-100. All rated at about 60 watts, the PM's do a much better job than the KC. Roland has, or had, a rig called the TDA-700.
"The subwoofer is powered by a 240 watt amplifier and the horn-type tweeter is powered by a 60 watt amplifier. The TDA-700 is also designed to be run in stereo with a second TDA-700. Impressive." Also depends how much power your band is crankin'. If you've got Marshall half stacks and an Ampeg SVT to compete with, then you'd best put your drums thru the PA and run the keyboard amp as your monitor.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 AM

yea my dad's amp is a KC - 350 and i think it's 100W.....our bassist has a pretty good size but older Peavey amp, and our guitarist will have to plug in with me through the keyboard amp...he just has a small either Fender or Peavey amp, so it wouldn't project that well in the gym...so it sounds like the best bet would be to borrow the church's mixer and speakers then right?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

I'd go with all the power you can get. Providing the church mixer is powered, or the speakers are powered, you need an amplifier in there, somewhere. That said, you might want to run a sound check in the gym, if you can. Have everyone play thru their own amps. That will provide you with on stage sound. And all three of you should probably send lines thru the PA as well.