DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Unix Vintage Mahogany Stave - Review + Pics & Audio!

This kit already has a progress thread that shows the kit being built from start to finish, but it was getting really long so I thought I should start a fresh thread with pics of the completed set and long awaited audio. If you haven't seen the progress thread and want the full specs on the kit, take a look here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36080

First just let me say that Frank (Unix) was the most honest, gracious, and generous businessman I've ever worked with. He is truly someone who just wants to see the customer happy and get what they want; a drum that they can have forever and pass down to their kids and grandkids, and he'll bend over backwards to do that.

A lot of people have wondered what stave kits kits sound like, especially compared to ply. Well, in the case of my kit with the African Mahogany, fully rounded over bearing edges, and my head setup (coated g2/coated g1 on toms, coated eq4/coated eq3 on bass, coated pc reverse dot/hazy 300 on snare) here are my thoughts:

Compared to the last high end ply kit I owned, a Gretsch New Classics, these staves are more woody and natural sounding. They have a fullness and added roundness at even higher tunings and have an overall clearer tone with added resonance. They are very "live" sounding in that they almost sound like they are naturally eq'd. The fundamental note of the shells are lower so that adds some extra bottom end and fatness even at higher tunings and the fully rounded over bearing edges act as a natural overtone control. Basically, I could say that a ply drum is like a sick person with laryngitis and a stave drum is a healthy person who can speak clearly. Take all of the natural and sought after qualities of a drum on the best ply set you could imagine: clarity, natural tone, warmth etc.. and amplify them, and you have a stave kit. This particular set sounds very vintage to my ears. The recorded sound of the mp3 below doesn't do them justice (and neither does my playing!) :-)

The construction of these drums is absolutely flawless. They are like a work of art, or fine furniture. The stave construction on this kit is seamless. You'll be hard pressed to even try and find where each stave seam is, and at that, if they are evident, they're easier to find on the inside of the drum (and even then you have to really know what you're looking at). From the outside they look like a solid shell. Amazing.

So without further blah blah blah:

MP3 - www.handidrummed.com/unix.mp3

Old 04-04-2008, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Unix Vintage Mahogany Stave - Review + Pics & Audio!

Very Nice! I'm pondering purchasing one of these myself.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:14 AM

I don't think I've seen a more beautiful kit! I really, really like the natural wood finish. And those Bosphorus's. Amazing! Keep up the good work! Say, approximately how much is a simple set up like that? I'm not planning on purchasing something like that, but I just want to get a feel for it.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post

Basically, I could say that a ply drum is like a sick person with laryngitis and a stave drum is a healthy person who can speak clearly.
Wow... I take it that you like this set a lot !

Congratulations. I've been François 's second customer (still in love with my snare), and I'm amazed that he has now reached the ability to build such beautiful complete sets.

Beautiful drums.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 AM

Well done Rob... very nice kit... sounds great too.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrummer101 View Post
I don't think I've seen a more beautiful kit! I really, really like the natural wood finish. And those Bosphorus's. Amazing! Keep up the good work! Say, approximately how much is a simple set up like that? I'm not planning on purchasing something like that, but I just want to get a feel for it.
About $1500 without the reinforcement rings.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 AM

Reinforcement rings? Sorry, I'm kinda new to all the terminology and I want to learn as fast as possible!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 AM

Wow! Your drum set is amazing dude, seriously. It looks and sounds ridiculous. Especially your snare; that's probably the best sounding snare I've ever heard.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Looks good, sounds good, It's an all around awesome kit. Btw i love the way you play.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Thats great sounding drums , Rob. Even on comp speakers, it sounds deeper and with more woody overtones. Congratulations..

..that stanton moore groove is getting better & better, every time ; )
Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Reinforcement rings? Sorry, I'm kinda new to all the terminology and I want to learn as fast as possible!
Take a look at the progress thread http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36080 and you'll see pictures of the inside of the shell. The top and bottom have a "ledge" or a ring, called a reinforcement ring. Usually the ring adds strength and raises the pitch of the shell because the inside diameter gets smaller. But in the case of my drums, they lower the pitch of the shell because the ring is lathed into the shell so the width of the middle of the drum can be thinner, which lowers the pitch. It also adds strength because a thin stave drum isn't stable without reinforcement.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
..that stanton moore groove is getting better & better, every time ; )
Really? Because I was just thinking about how much I hate how rigid and stiff my playing sounds. It's not as relaxed and flowing as I would like.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Take a look at the progress thread http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36080 and you'll see pictures of the inside of the shell. The top and bottom have a "ledge" or a ring, called a reinforcement ring. Usually the ring adds strength and raises the pitch of the shell because the inside diameter gets smaller. But in the case of my drums, they lower the pitch of the shell because the ring is lathed into the shell so the width of the middle of the drum can be thinner, which lowers the pitch. It also adds strength because a thin stave drum isn't stable without reinforcement.
Ah ha! Now I see! Thanks for the explanation! Is this done with a lot of drum kits?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Ah ha! Now I see! Thanks for the explanation! Is this done with a lot of drum kits?
It was common practice back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, depending on the manufacturer and the decade. Non-custom companies don't use them much now. DW's Classic series does but that's the only one that comes to mind. Usually custom companies are the ones who use them if the customer asks for it.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 AM

I see, thanks again for the explanation! One more question: Is it really the way to go with buying custom sets? I bet its the more pricier!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

...those drums would not be out of place on display at the Canadian Museum of Art and Design.

I remember a few years back when Mothers Music had a couple of Le Soprano kits on display. I thought they were the most beautifully crafted drums that I had ever seen. Your drums look even nicer.

Barry
Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Really? Because I was just thinking about how much I hate how rigid and stiff my playing sounds. It's not as relaxed and flowing as I would like.
This is a cool groove to try and play even slower actually.. very new Orleans. Its fun to play something like this with a metronome where all the hits are 'behind the click'
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
This is a cool groove to try and play even slower actually.. very new Orleans. Its fun to play something like this with a metronome where all the hits are 'behind the click'
Which groove would that be?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I see, thanks again for the explanation! One more question: Is it really the way to go with buying custom sets? I bet its the more pricier!
Is what the way to go? Reinforcement rings? They do add to the cost, but it depends on what tone you're looking for. Some drums sound better with them and some without them.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM

No, I guess I was trying to ask, is buying custom drum sets the way to go?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
No, I guess I was trying to ask, is buying custom drum sets the way to go?
It depends on what you're looking for. If mass market sets fit your wants, then go with those. But if you want something unique, and specific, and especially if you want a set that sounds different than what is out there, go custom. But of course you'll only get a unique sound if you go with a company like Unix which builds their own shells. If you go with a company like Truth, SJC, OCDP etc.. you're only paying to get a custom look on the drums really because they all use Keller shells which don't sound much different than most other drums you can buy. For me, going custom for looks alone isn't worth it.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Alright, thanks a ton for the info. Gotta hit the sack. I'm tired... 'nite!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Which groove would that be?
Sprung Monkey & this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-p6b...eature=related
Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Something I aspire to :-)
Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Gold Member

Hey Rob,

I loved that groove! You wouldn't happen to have tab or sheet music for that groove???

I would love to practice that!!

Great sounding kit and solid groove playing.

Congrats on the kit of your dreams. I just hope you hold on to this one longer than you have your others!!!

Mike
Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Hey Rob,

I loved that groove! You wouldn't happen to have tab or sheet music for that groove???

I would love to practice that!!

Great sounding kit and solid groove playing.

Congrats on the kit of your dreams. I just hope you hold on to this one longer than you have your others!!!

Mike

Which groove? I could write it out.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

wow, the kit looks and sounds amazing! It has a lot of bottom like you said (that sounds funny :-) and the groove you play is just sexy, perfect for a kit like this I think.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Those drum sound every bit as good as they look, and the Bosphourus cymbals complement them perfectly. Rob, you have achieved the perfect setup.

I thought your playing was very good, a jamming little groove no doubt!!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Please don't sell this kit, Rob. It's possibly one of the most beautiful kits I've ever seen - and Francois sounds like a genuine guy. I'm surprised he can make kits for that sort of price! For the money you've spent, you can just about buy a five piece Tama Superstar. That really says something about his business and his customer care.

I keep saying to myself, 'one day - one day'.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Wow! That was surely worth the wait, glad everything worked out with the hoops, because these drums are truly something else. I've called other kits "unique" but this is honestly one-of-a-kind. And they sound great too! Looks like Unix is really making great stuff. I'm counting how many months you can keep this one... just kidding. But if you do ever part ways with them (which would be a shame)... let me know!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Wow Rob! Sounds perfect. Not to mention the beautiful cymbals.
Nice hi hat dynamics, lovely snare sound, and an amazing groove!
I think this might beat the Kumu ;]
Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
KARL MEMBER

Very nice groove! What kit are you playing btw?

Nah...just kidding. The drums look and sound awesome. Focused and warm sound and indeed woody. The toms have a very short sustain or is that just on the recording?

Would love to hear them tuned higher...I wonder how those toms articulate then.

Anyway Rob, that`s a keeper. Incredible work of art!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks for posting the pics & sound clip. The drums look really good. I like the sound, too. The sound on my computer I listened to the clip on isn't the best, so I couldn't make out the bass drum much. Are you able to get a nice punch out of it?

Nice playing, btw. I wish I could groove like that.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Big_Philly

They sound wonderful. I already commented on your kit's looks in the progress thread so no need for further info on that I assume ;)
Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
The toms have a very short sustain or is that just on the recording?
Yes the toms have fairly short sustain. Maybe a little longer in person, but not much.

Maybe at some point I'll crank the toms into Karl range :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Thanks for posting the pics & sound clip. The drums look really good. I like the sound, too. The sound on my computer I listened to the clip on isn't the best, so I couldn't make out the bass drum much. Are you able to get a nice punch out of it?

Nice playing, btw. I wish I could groove like that.
It helps if you turn the volume up a bit. The bass is quieter than I'd like, but then again, the bass wasn't mic'd (I was just using my Zoom H4 set up behind me), and I don't have the strongest right leg.

The bass does have some underlying bass but it just really has a nice warm, solid tone with a hint of pitch and resonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak22thegoat View Post
I think this might beat the Kumu ;]
Wow, well, even though it's my kit and I'm biased, I have to say that it's a close call. The Kumu is gorgeous.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

That is some playing right there, Rob! Killer sounding kit and fat groove you have going there. I think I like the complexity, just something I'm not used to in my monotone kit ;). One of the best sounding kits I've ever heard.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Which groove? I could write it out.
The first groove!

I liked them all, but that first one just gets my toes tapping!

I wonder what it will sound like with my 26 kick?????

Thanks and congrats on the kit and the playing!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
The first groove!

I liked them all, but that first one just gets my toes tapping!

I wonder what it will sound like with my 26 kick?????

Thanks and congrats on the kit and the playing!!!
Did you want the whole thing written out or just the main groove? Because aside from the main groove it's all pretty random *lol*
Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Rob, sounds great! You have deffinatly been cleaning up that playing, hows the band going?

Also... Whats your thought on the round over edges?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Did you want the whole thing written out or just the main groove? Because aside from the main groove it's all pretty random *lol*
The main groove would be great.

Thanks again.