DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-07-2005, 06:06 PM
silver_one_drummer127

Default Re: Carter Beauford

Carter Beauford is a fantastic drummer!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:31 PM

Carter Beauford is a great drummer. go listen to him nowwww
Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Anybody a Carter Beauford fan?

I became a Carter Beauford fan in 2002 when a friend introduced me to the DMB through a dvd. I automatically fell in love with His style; it was crazy man I was listening to so right and those chops in the chorus we crazy cool. Every time I see him play it blows me away.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Anybody a Carter Beauford fan?

Carter's a monster player.........He's so unique in that he can play a fusion-ish style within a pop/rock context, and the music still sounds awesome. Great drummer.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Anybody a Carter Beauford fan?

I always liked Carter Beauford. He never plays the same thing twice and totally passes it off while sounding great. Definately a funky player and a good musician.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:08 AM

my name is matt and i am 15 and have been playing for 9 years. Carter beauford is my absolute favorite drummer. the style of drumming he does most is referred to as linear drumming, where each drum beat is independent to another, if u listen closely u will notice he often never plays more then 1 drum at a given time, all independent. this style of drumming is very hard if your not used to it. this is why he is soo good, he has mastered linear drumming
Old 10-28-2005, 05:45 PM

Tthe only thing I can say is that this guy is a blast. What makes him so great is that you can guess when he's behind the kit and that for me is one of the characteristics of a great drummer. He should be off for more clinics and other demo's he has a style of his own and sounds great. His open handed playing also helps....
Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Carter Beauford is one of my top 5 favorite drummers because he is so creative and diverse. Check out his studio recording for "tripping billies" with DMB. it's amazing.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Pioneer Member

I completely agree with Raz and the others on this thread -- Carter IS a Legend. He is an amazing drummer, such that traditional words or comparisons do not apply -- because he is completely unique.

The proof is here folks: The man standing at the front of the stage is one of the most creative popular song writers of our time, a fantastic (and self taught) guitarist, a very funny and coy persoanlity that shines through brightly, great dance moves and good looks... and some how Carter shines just as brightly by simply banging a few sticks on some drums.

ANYONE that can hold ANY sort of candle to dave matthews is a Legend. The fact that 95% of the people on this thread EMPHATICALLY agree should tell you nay-sayers something.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis

The proof is here folks: The man standing at the front of the stage is one of the most creative popular song writers of our time, a fantastic (and self taught) guitarist, a very funny and coy persoanlity that shines through brightly, great dance moves and good looks... and some how Carter shines just as brightly by simply banging a few sticks on some drums.
ahem .... is this a valid argument or an opinion ??
Old 11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_boy_in
ahem .... is this a valid argument or an opinion ??
its both -- in case you have not noticed, these are all opinions. This is a message board, not an MIT Think Tank. Friendly discussion is what we do here. But I stand behind my comments about both Dave Matthews and Carter Beuford. Both are two of the very best in what they do.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:46 PM
NaturalRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
The man standing at the front of the stage is one of the most creative popular song writers of our time, a fantastic (and self taught) guitarist, a very funny and coy persoanlity that shines through brightly, great dance moves and good looks.
Very well put...........and having Carter backing him up.......................*Indescribable* Let alone the rest of the band! I see the DMB...being a rock & roll hall of fame inductee very soon.

*Give a listen to Carters opening to the song (Say Goodbye) if some of you haven't heard it.*
Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalRaz
*Give a listen to Carters opening to the song (Say Goodbye) if some of you haven't heard it.*
That has always been one of my very favorite pieces -- a great song with one of my favorite openings of all time. Just amazing.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:46 AM

One of my favorite drummers mainly for his style on the hat. I play a lot like him but with a Real real definate funk sound.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm in a serious DMB cover Band, finally, and it feels good playing along with Carter's approach and method. But open-handed is key to alot of sneaky hi-hat and ride combo's that Carter is known for. I got my open-handed training back in 1992-2000 with the man Simon Phillips. In my opinion if your going to be in a cover Band its important to be 100% accurate with the chops, fills, feel, etc....... Thanks to Simon I'm able to hang with Carter's "live material" without switching up to the ride on my right (which makes things way easier)... But I still find myself switching up here and there......LOL

But yeah................

Carter is a top notch player along with my other favorite Chuck Morris.

Dap.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Pioneer Member

I was really into DMB when I was in high-school, then kind of kept expanding my listening and playing and kind of forgot how great a drummer Carter is. I recently found a live recording in my girlfriends Ipod and can't stop listening to it. He is amazingly creative and controlled, and an incredible drummer to listen to. HOWEVER, I would encourage all of you to check out some of the gospel drummers today and you'll definately hear some similarities. I know it's hard to know what to buy, so here's a suggestion. Bishop Larry D. Trotter and the Sweet Holy Choir from Chicago. The drummers name is Calvin Williams I think and he is awesome.

One more thing about Carter. He is great, he's the man, he's an awesome force on the kit, but he's also famous. There are still a lot of cats out there that are just waiting to get discovered. Keep an eye out for Thaddeus Dixon from Detroit.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 PM

Have to agree with everyone on here that carter is purely amazing. most of my background for drumming comes from gospel and jazz but man carter can play like no other from funk to rock and roll to anything. his hi-hat work simply incredible, something i dream of doing. i highly recommended "under the table and drumming" to any drummer out there.he can be imitated but never duplicated.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Classic Drumsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda
He is one of my favourite drummers. I know that he is left handed but plays right handed easily. (usually plays cross handed) Also he is ambidextrous (plays with left and right hands equally) When he started play drums he was only 3 years ago. He plays in dawe matthews band also played with carlos santana and many many others...

He uses his own promark signature series ; Carter beauford 5AB model. (5AB is different , standart 5a weight but peak tickness is 5B.

His setup ;

07. 13"x51/2" Ocheltree bronze snare

08. 13" Ocheltree bronze timbale

09. 14" Ocheltree bronze timbale......
This is a wonderful diagram, unfortunatley it's about 4 years out of date. Carter switched to Remo this summer and he has been using a number of Dunnett Classic snare drums since 2001. Those would include 2 - 6.5 x 13" Titanium snare drums (one in translucent purple, one raw), a 6.5 x 14 Titanium with Titanium hoops (raw) and on this last album and tour a 5.5 x 14 Titanium (trans. purple). Carter is also using a 5.5" x 10 titanium accent snare and a 7" x 13" titanium timbale (polished with CR hoop).

Since there are obviously so many Carter fans I thought I might share a picture of his kit with everyone. This was taken in August 2005 at the Gorge, Washington. Enjoy!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:58 PM

No Evans' drumheads anymore :(
why? :°
Anyway, the two snare drums finish looks beautiful
Old 11-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks for the pics! i love it!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:53 PM

Carter....just amazing, such a fine touch and his fills never sound busy and overdone...his groove, no comment....and his syncopated HH technique, killer, it inspired me alot, if you have a chance to see the video "under the table and drumming" he explains this approach and with a simple groove he incorporates HH variations and it brings so much color to the beat whcih technically is pretty straight forward...

....added to all this, his drumkit is sooo coooooool, I would love something like that in my house
Old 03-31-2006, 02:43 AM

well what can i say.
hes amazing. one of my biggest influences ever.
first heared carter with the dave matthews band and there another major influence on me.
first track i ever heared was "too much". if u havnt heared it, do so. u will understand wot i meen. i was instantly drawn into carters drumming and ever since i have studied his work.
dave seems to brings out his highest level of drumming with those grooves he gets going on. still havnt had the pleasure of meeting him yet or even seeing him live. one day guys. one day.
thats all we hope.
www.myspace.com/gazdrums1
Old 03-31-2006, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

Dave Mathews is a great band !!! Butt.....Carter makes it what it is !!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 AM

Location: Born and raised in Massachusettes, now I reside in sunny F L A.

Carter Beauford for president. Just think....some day, with lots and lots of practice.... I may never get the pattern that man lays down. He truely is amazing.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 AM

Hello Mr. Carter

First let me say I enjoy your music, and really love that kit. I'm a beginner, I just started playing a kit. I come a marching band background were I was taught to play I call it tight and I seem to brought this to my way of playing on a kit. I can't move to fast around it and my fills are slow and off timing. And my foot sits still to much. Any tips?

SlowFoot
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 AM

Carter's work on the Central Park concert is especially good I think. I love how he works in the double kick to accent certain rythems. Most drummers in mainstream bands just don't know how to utilize the double kick and make it sound out of place, but Carter keeps it just right.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:04 AM

Hey guys im new to this forum but im a huge carter fan. Lets just say he gave the four stroke roll a WHOLE new meaning!

o yeah, and in response to the Dave "Carter Bueford on the drums!" quote...

it's "Carter BOWford on drums!" HAHA
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM

The best there is right now in my opinion. Somebody told me they think Neil Peart is the best, which you can certainly make an arguement for. I thought about it and if you put Carter in Rush he could totally do the job, but if you put Neil Peart in Dave Matthews Band I'm not so sure it would work out. THOUGHTS?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 PM

Carter Beauford is far and away my favorite drummer, and has been for years. He has influenced my playing like no other. I have every song from every DMB album (studio AND live) stored on my computer. I can identify 99.9% of DMB songs within the first few seconds of hearing it. I can't get enough of the band, or of Carter's playing.

I love the 'jam band' sound that DMB produces, and Cater's playing is just unbelievable. If you haven't heard much of him, let me suggest the following tracks...

-Ants Marching (Live At the Gorge or Live At Folsom Field)
-Tripping Billies (Live At the Gorge)
-Two Step (The Central Park Concert)
-Warehouse (The Central Park Concert) (Towards the end he does this double-time feel...INSANE.)

I'm going to see DMB this July (my second DMB show) and I can't wait. If you have the opportunity to see this band live, GO. They are unbelievable in person. Don't miss an opportunity to see one of the greats behind the kit...
Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
11. Zildjian 13" A Custom Projection Hi-hats
Is this still the main hi-hat he uses? Sounds awesome and I've been looking to get a new hi-hat soon.

Quote:
15. Zildjian 20" A Custom Projection Ride
And this is still the main ride cymbal? Also sounds amazing.

Quote:
25. Zildjian 22" Oriental China Trash

26. Zildjian 20" Oriental China Trash (piggyback on #25)

27. Zildjian 20" Oriental Crash Of Doom
Number 26 is what he uses most often, right? He crashes on that china for heavier feels, using it like a ride cymbal?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgdrums722
Carter Beauford is far and away my favorite drummer, and has been for years. He has influenced my playing like no other. I have every song from every DMB album (studio AND live) stored on my computer. I can identify 99.9% of DMB songs within the first few seconds of hearing it. I can't get enough of the band, or of Carter's playing.

I love the 'jam band' sound that DMB produces, and Cater's playing is just unbelievable. If you haven't heard much of him, let me suggest the following tracks...

-Ants Marching (Live At the Gorge or Live At Folsom Field)
-Tripping Billies (Live At the Gorge)
-Two Step (The Central Park Concert)
-Warehouse (The Central Park Concert) (Towards the end he does this double-time feel...INSANE.)

I'm going to see DMB this July (my second DMB show) and I can't wait. If you have the opportunity to see this band live, GO. They are unbelievable in person. Don't miss an opportunity to see one of the greats behind the kit...
I was just listening to the Central Park concert yesterday actually. I love his drumming during the jam in 'Two Step', sooo amazing.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 AM

The Two Step version on the Central Park Concert is one of the most incredible drum performance I have ever witnessed/ heard !

Plus note that during the Jazz jam, people continue to dance, Carter can't help but being groovy and funky in everything he plays !

Check out also the Seek Up version on the live at the gorge dvd, just incredible !!!
The way he interacts with the keyboard player when he is playing the melody of the tune with his set of cowbells ( or whatever they are) and after the subtle triplets he does on his big ride cymbal !!! Tasty, delicate and marvelous playing all the way through !!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM

Those are the hats and ride he used on last summers tour. I have that projection ride and love it for larger venues, but it is quite a thick cymbal and cuts through the guitars in a smaller club. I really like how Carter plays both ride cymbals next to eachother. The projection on top of that other flat ride (no bell) with the short string of beads for sustain, is a great set up. When playing the projection ride pretty hard, it will just touch the other ride creating unique cymbal-on-cymbal sustains.

The china trashs together sound great and it is what he will use for his biggest crashes.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Hey one more thing Carter fans.... AOL Radio has the All Dave Matthews Band station back for a while! I've been streaming it for the last few days, damn I love Carter! AOL will play everything from live shows and studio tracks including a couple random solos, like the one at the central park concert.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 PM

Carter Beaufrt is genious! I love his drumming, and the music of Dave Matthews Band..
He is my boyfriend's favourite drummer, and I like him more and more too..
He makes the music groove..!
Old 06-02-2006, 04:41 AM

I just had the pleasure to see Carter with the Dave Matthews Band last night at Bonner Springs, Kansas at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. A few friends and I drove 6 hours, around 400 some miles just to see DMB. Carter amazed me the entire night, he was just solid, tasteful, and simply amazing. The group had so much energy and Carter just layed it down. He is one of my favorite drummers and if you ever get a chance to see him live, DO IT!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielheier
I just had the pleasure to see Carter with the Dave Matthews Band last night at Bonner Springs, Kansas at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. A few friends and I drove 6 hours, around 400 some miles just to see DMB. Carter amazed me the entire night, he was just solid, tasteful, and simply amazing. The group had so much energy and Carter just layed it down. He is one of my favorite drummers and if you ever get a chance to see him live, DO IT!!!!
Did they have a good setlist (not that any DMB setlist is bad)?

What songs did they play? Were you lucky enough to catch a Carter solo (I'm guessing prob. not).
Old 06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm seeing them this Tuesday!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM

im a big fan of carter and hes been one of my major influences over my years of drumming. He puts so much variety into his grooves with splashes and hihat off beats.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:51 PM

I'm not a fan of DMB, but Carter has a lot of skill. Anyone notice his hand speed? This dude has some of the fastest hands I've ever heard; he's just as fast (if not faster) than a lot of death and black metal drummers.

- Marc