DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Default Simon Philips playing jazz

I was searching something nice to share for my first post here and hope this video will surprise and amaze you like it did for me. I ddn't know this band (just found it) and didn't imagine Simon Philips could be a such incredible jazz drummer. His sound and his drumming here are just fantastic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQN9v0aNdy0
Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Simon Philips playing jazz

that just made my day.... thank you

simply fantastic !!!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Absolutely fantastic little gem you linked here... I know what I'm doing tonight :)

I know somebody here who will like this very much...

Welcome to the forum Chris :)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Something very Tony Williams-esque about that first tune... couldnt help comparing. Awesome as Simon is as a drummer, on this kind of music I find his playing a little mechanical and pre meditated.

No reflection on Simon or his greatness as a drummer . Love him with Lukather, Hiromi, and all his solo projects.

PS- allo, Henri! Long time! Hope all goes good, mon ami.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Something very Tony Williams-esque about that first tune...

absolutely !

there is no doubt that it was a tip of the cap to Tony .... that whole intro was pretty much verbatim Tony quotes .... and done well in my opinion

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 07-22-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Awesome as Simon is as a drummer, on this kind of music I find his playing a little mechanical and pre meditated.
I agree, but I think he has enough finesse and dynamics to pull it off. It's like Neil Peart jazz, only waaaay better.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

He is BURNING that ride. That's some good stuff, right there.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Something very Tony Williams-esque
Hi stranger - I was thinking Tony Williams too :) Not being so versed in jazz, I figured it was the low tuned toms.

He is more at home in this set than the last time I heard him play straight ahead. When you think of all that SP has achieved on drums it's good to see him still finding ways to be challenged with Hiromi and now, working on his jazz authenticity.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 07-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I know somebody here who will like this very much...
Count me in as a "somebody" :)

Chris, nice discussion point example, & welcome to the forum. Great to see that rascal Abe here too :)

Regrettably, I'm grossly under qualified to comment on the authenticity of Simon's Jazz sensibilities, other than to observe that (IMO) his drum sound is a little on the "thumpy" side of my expectation. Simon's ability to convincingly turn his hand to just about any genre amazes me. He does subtle really well, but tends to thrive in a wide dynamic environment. He excels at explosive touches sprinkled through a piece, & that's why I think the Hiromi gig suits him so well.

Of course, we all know that Simon was brought up around Jazz, so that foundation of understanding is certainly there. If we work on the basis that you are what you've played, then in Simon's case, it's not unreasonable to expect rock flavours to creep in from time to time. In many ways, that makes such performances more interesting (& in some ways more accessible) to the likes of me, though I doubt that will appease the self acclaimed purists.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Hi stranger - I was thinking Tony Williams too :) Not being so versed in jazz, I figured it was the low tuned toms.

He is more at home in this set than the last time I heard him play straight ahead. When you think of all that SP has achieved on drums it's good to see him still finding ways to be challenged with Hiromi and now, working on his jazz authenticity.
Hola there, my wunnerful ol' friend! : )).. decided to pop in for a bit, as they say in London town.

The drums we tuned low, yes, but the playing had lots of repetitive figures, quite unlike Tony for instance, or for that matter any top jazz cat, who's playing would be a lot more free flowing and reactive to the music. Just my take on it -

@Andy, T. Underhill - Not undercutting Simon as a top shelf drummer in any way. His Hiromi gig was mind blowing- Check out Simon playing with Lukather on " Party in Simon's Pants" a 15/8 tune on which he kills it- and yes, he plays a stunning solo on a 81/2 bar vamp! ~ Thats Simon doing what he does best, IMHO.

Last edited by aydee; 07-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Hola there, my wunnerful ol' friend! : )).. decided to pop in for a bit, as they say in London town.

The drums we tuned low, yes, but the playing had lots of repetitive figures, quite unlike Tony for instance, or for that matter any top jazz cat, who's playing would be a lot more free flowing and reactive to the music. Just my take on it -
Good to see you, old bean!

Have to take your word on that one - sounded pretty jazzy to me but I'm pretty big on repetitive figures :)

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
PS- allo, Henri! Long time! Hope all goes good, mon ami...
Hi Abe, nice to hear from you... seems like I've joined you on making brief appearances on the forum... far to busy y'a know... I hope you're OK :)

Quote:
Awesome as Simon is as a drummer, on this kind of music I find his playing a little mechanical and pre meditated...
I just wish I could play this kind of music as pre-meditated and mechanical as Simon, I'll be in heaven...

... and yes, Tony Williams was an influence for Simon, he even dedicated an album as a tribute to Tony which was called Another Lifetime... this explaining that... :)
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Hi Abe, nice to hear from you... seems like I've joined you on making brief appearances on the forum... far to busy y'a know... I hope you're OK :)

I just wish I could play this kind of music as pre-meditated and mechanical as Simon, I'll be in heaven...
Henri, who would you hire for the session if you were producing this music and you could choose between Simon and DeJohnette?

..........You dont have to answer that ; )

Im good, life has moved on so hardly here, but I peek in occasionally to see if Grea, Andy or you have muttered anything interesting : ). Be well, buddy.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Henri, who would you hire for the session if you were producing this music and you could choose between Simon and DeJohnette?

..........You dont have to answer that ; )
Ha! ....I won't then... :)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Low tuned toms? Simon's toms are tuned way tighter than you think, and Tony's toms were tensioned into the stratosphere.

I own the DVD of this video, and the sound is incredible all 'round. I also purchased the CD when it first came out years ago. Great, great music and playing.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

I love it. Simon was a huge influence on me. He belongs in discussions of the greats more often. I believe he grew up playing big band music with his father, yes? Can't recall exactly the details, but I think his pops was a musician.

Anyway, definite Tony in the opening track but Simon has a very individual sound and approach that comes through in everything he plays. One of the handful of living legends, imo.

Does it irritate the hell out of anyone else that he can ride with absolutely equal fluency with left or right hand? I mean, come on!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I believe he grew up playing big band music with his father, yes? Can't recall exactly the details, but I think his pops was a musician.
Yes Larry, Simon's Dad (Sid Phillips) was a clarinet player, at the tender age of 12, Simon joined his Father's band, The Sid Phillips Orchestra, and played professionally with the band until he was 16 when his Father died, he then went on the road as a session player, the rest is history.

Here's a rare recording of a very young SP playing with his Father's band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tFn3sFP6A
Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
He is BURNING that ride. That's some good stuff, right there.
And I was surprised to see him leading with right hand from the get-go. Too long/on my way to work, didn't watch all of it, but I did see him finally switching over to his normal left hand lead at about 34 minutes... interesting.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM

I'm just listening to Hiromi's new album, "Alive," for the first time and all I can say is Simon Phillips is on fire on this album. What a beast!

This album is a must have and just beautiful music.

It's beyond labels... Fusion, jazz, whatever (Who cares!)... It's just a joy to listen to.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

I watched about the first 10 minutes. Very nice playing indeed! Good to see him play like that. What's scarier is the fact that he can do either right or left-hand lead!