DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-01-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Danny Carey

this guy is the greatest for me. The way he plays and uses his technique and how he has improved sice the first album of tool to the last. And how he plays in the band Volto! ( seen them live,, wow)
His playing is based a lot on the feelin, a more emotional way of drumming. He can take his mind to a unique place and he can intepret his ideas and thoughts to us, as well as he can cause a reaction on every one of us drummers or musicians.
How his drumset is placed percectly with a mathematician, followin the "circle theory" mixed with the "golden proportion" mixed with a theory called " the theory of the equator".
He has no boundaries, he is really creative .
He has been a great inspiration, at least for me.
post your thoughts on this fella

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Danny_Carey.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 08-01-2005 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 07-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: danny carey

I love Danny Carey. He is one of the most amazing drummers out there. I can't explain how much he and his playing means to me... I had a priviledge of seeing him last summer with the Pigmy Love Circus and it was great. I was standing ten feet away from him and his kit. Wow. While he was playing, he looked straight at me for a few seconds and I just nodded my head... we both knew. It's a drummer thing guys, hehe.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:47 AM

you can hear a little Volto! at http://www.myspace.com/volto
Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Pioneer Member

He's a truly amazing drummer, my favorite at the moment.

I really can't wait for the new Tool cd to come out, but I would like to hear more of Volto!, do they have a cd or something ? I've been looking around and can't find anything.

Edit : My god, I just listened to the songs on that link, and I nearly s*** myself.

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-25-2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Edited for inappropriate language
Old 07-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Very tasty drumming... This is the key to alot of his coolness...

The study of tabla in relation to drumset makes for some fascinating grooves.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Speaking of Tabla, have you guys heard the Live Version of Pushit, on the Salival CD? Dany's Teacher play's Tabla in there and it's absolutly awesome.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:20 PM

His drumming is pretty amazing. His double bass chops are outstanding. Some cool drum stuff is the song amperstand and schism or however you spell. but what is that thing he does, the unicircular hexagram thingy mabob?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Danny Carey

The unicursal hexagram is a six-pointed star drawn in one motion (hence, "unicursal"). It is mainly used in the Occult (which Danny has a peculiar interest in). This was Aleister Crowley's sign, except he had a five-leafed clover in middle of his. I forgot the meaning, but perhaps the relation to the number five in that clover has some meaning to the number of how many points and lines are in a pentacle or pentagon— which is five. All this is fascinating stuff, and yet I've only touched the brink of it all...
Old 07-02-2005, 07:05 AM

i am still confused about that. what the heck does that have to do with drumming?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Absolutely nothing.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Pioneer Member

i downloaded a carey solo a while back and was blown away, starts of simple with some cool double bass chops then goes into a frenzy, it was awesome definately oneof the best drummers out there
Old 07-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Grateful Drummer

Danny Carey is a genius. His fluid motion is like no one I've ever seen. The patterns and phrases he comes up with are brilliant and he's just all around greatest rock drummer.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:32 PM
StollerocK

this guy changed my life, BIG time...seriously. his drumming is so...i dare to say "magikal", i goes straight to the soul with power and finesse. I ran in to him at a drum shop before a clinic in kansas (which was killer by the way) and he gave my ladyfriend the "eyes"...dang you danny!
Old 07-03-2005, 02:45 AM

Its funny how you a few of you guys love his double bass stuff. Every interview I see of him, he always says his 'weak' point is his double bass drumming!

The guy is awesome though. Many of his beats sound simple, but are pretty complicated when you try playing them. My favortie tho HAS to be sober... what a kick ass song.

Marc.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Ash

I too am amazed at Mr Carey's work.I have been playing drums myself for about 10 years,totally self taught and still have a long way to go!!!Every time I listen I am intrigued.It's hard enough to try and mimick the beats,but to think of them in the context of a song and make them feel so right is incredible.Nice one Danny.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Pioneer Member

i used to listen to heavy metal but nowadays i 'm little bored about it( think because after a while u nneed some more ideas) but Carey makes me come back to that days..
Love him

T
Old 07-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Jason Dorn

I find his playing so unique and soulful. He really has a great way of making complicated beats flow smoothly and not sound forced I think he is one of the most original drummers to come around in a long time. He is also one of the few drummers I've heard whose power rivals Bonhams. This man is absolutly a breath of fresh air.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:45 PM

did you listen to S excerpt live on www.myspace.com/volto ?, maaan.
can't wait to listen to the new tool album, i hear danny has lots of surprises for us
Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane drummer
Very tasty drumming... This is the key to alot of his coolness...

The study of tabla in relation to drumset makes for some fascinating grooves.

i too starting wednesday am going to start taking some tabla lessons, ive had tablas for a while that my mom got from India but never had the time to learn, now i really want to learn, its going to be awesome.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:23 AM
pRoNZ4

I don't know if it's true or not, but I remember reading somewhere that some of his style of playing is based on an ancient swords technique or something. I'll try and find where I got this, anyone know anything about this?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Pioneer Member

His father was a mason. Danny discovered this when he spyed on his father performing a masonic ritual with a sword. I don't know if that answers your question, Danny is not a mason and to the best of my knowledge, he does not use swords.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:10 AM

the guy is awsome. its funny alot of ppl (including myself) dotn realize the depth of his playing. he does a lot of latin influenced rythms with a rock feel over them. example in the song schism i saw the modern drummer transcription of the song and it said its odd time signatures one measeure of 5/8 then one measure of 7/8. well does anyone here know what 7+5=? ya 12. my teacher pointed out that he actualy thinks that the groove in the song is one measure of 12/8 because thatway u look at it the "core" cymbal pattern is actuayl a latin rythm. unforunately i dotn remember the name of the rythm but my next lesson is in 2 weeks so ill try to rember to ask him waht it was called.

also he si on drugs when he plays he does some kidn of drug that he says supposed to put him in a more realxed state of mind and has to do with the crap he beleivees in.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:24 AM

The thing I enjoyed most about his drumming is that he could be going crazy behind the drums but it would sound so soothing and relaxing. Very smooth and fluid.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Scottylawton

He's a bit of an odd ball but a good drummer none the less. Actually TOOL in general are wierd but they are awesome, i don't think it's excentricity that makes him wierd tho, i don't no really.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:38 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat1212
the guy is awsome. its funny alot of ppl (including myself) dotn realize the depth of his playing. he does a lot of latin influenced rythms with a rock feel over them. example in the song schism i saw the modern drummer transcription of the song and it said its odd time signatures one measeure of 5/8 then one measure of 7/8. well does anyone here know what 7+5=? ya 12. my teacher pointed out that he actualy thinks that the groove in the song is one measure of 12/8 because thatway u look at it the "core" cymbal pattern is actuayl a latin rythm. unforunately i dotn remember the name of the rythm but my next lesson is in 2 weeks so ill try to rember to ask him waht it was called.
I always thought of Schism as being in 12/8 and 13/8 rather than 5+7 & 6+7. I don't think the cymbal pattern would be a deliberate latin thing, a lot of those bell patterns kind of seem to slip out with very minor modifications to quite mathematical stuff. For example, a double paradiddle becomes a bembe ride cymbal pattern if you change the last "L" to an "R" and stop playing the left hand:

Code:
Bembe:

1tl2tl3tl4tl
bell X X XX X X X

Double Paradiddle:

1tl2tl3tl4tl
RH   R R RR R R
LH    L L  L L LL
Like so. So I suspect he was really just following the 5/7 phrasing and the latiny vibe just slipped out because so many latin bell lines have that on-beat first bar, off-beat second bar (or the reverse) type feel about them as they have to fit with the different bars of clave.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Here is what Danny says..

"This beat was composed to be a simple accompaniment to Justin's beautiful bass line. Being in a compound time of 12/8 (5/8 + 7/8), the main goal was to let the natural pulse of the melody come through and keep it simple enough to let Maynard's polyrhythmic phrasing in 3 come through unscathed.The transition into the pre-chorus was done with the same intent but was a little more jerky due to the added beat that moved the time into 13/8 (6/8 + 7/8)."

A beautiful thing...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottylawton
He's a bit of an odd ball but a good drummer none the less. Actually TOOL in general are wierd but they are awesome, i don't think it's excentricity that makes him wierd tho, i don't no really.
I'm of the view that it's all marketing. You have to admit, they've done a great job of making this really mysterious image for themselves, but it's just as easy to read virtually everything they say as deadpan humour. Like they're trying to see how far they can go before they get called out as bullshitters.

There was an old interview with Maynard and Henry Rollins that I think crossed miles over the line into parody, which sort of made me realise that everything any of the band was saying could be read that way. I mean, seriously? "I summoned a demon into my bass drum!". I reckon he was pissing himself laughing after the interviewer left the room on that one...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
There was an old interview with Maynard and Henry Rollins that I think crossed miles over the line into parody, which sort of made me realise that everything any of the band was saying could be read that way. I mean, seriously? "I summoned a demon into my bass drum!". I reckon he was pissing himself laughing after the interviewer left the room on that one...
hahaha (damned 20 characters!)
Old 08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Scottylawton

Quote:
I'm of the view that it's all marketing. You have to admit, they've done a great job of making this really mysterious image for themselves, but it's just as easy to read virtually everything they say as deadpan humour. Like they're trying to see how far they can go before they get called out as bullshitters.

Yeh see thats what it thought but then i went to his website and it's full of wierd stuff, Yeh that must be one evil bass drum man, and what would happen when he changes kits does he have to move it ghostbusters style? haha
Old 08-04-2005, 02:21 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottylawton
Yeh see thats what it thought but then i went to his website and it's full of wierd stuff, Yeh that must be one evil bass drum man, and what would happen when he changes kits does he have to move it ghostbusters style? haha
All of the Tool-related websites are like that. The Toolband.com one just has some guy called Blair ranting about ritual magic and his latest curry recipe for weeks at a time. But that said, about half of what they come out with does appear to be total bulls*** - go back to the Aenima interview circuit and read all the Adam Jones ones where he claims to have used some bizarre lady shaving device instead of an e-bow. Then go listen to the song, note that it sounds just like an e-bow. Then go look at the example song list provided when you buy an e-bow and notice that... hell... that song is on there!

Then also go read the thousands of man-hours of fans trying to find that very lady shaving device, with no success.

Then imagine Adam Jones laughing his head off...

Works for me.

Last edited by DogBreath; 11-10-2005 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Edited for inappropriate language
Old 08-06-2005, 06:07 AM

GHOSTBUSTERS STYLE! LOL. that's awesome.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Then go look at the example song list provided when you buy an e-bow and notice that... hell... that song is on there!

Then also go read the thousands of man-hours of fans trying to find that very lady shaving device, with no success.

Then imagine Adam Jones laughing his head off...

Works for me.
I don't have any reason to believe that he would lie about something like that just for laughs. I can imagine getting some pretty neat sounds out of those shaver things. I think that e-bows and accesories of that sort are pretty obscure and commercial. Why give away your money to some guy when you could be having fun with your own household products?

While that was all a bit off topic... I think that one of my favorite danny carey things are his hi hat grooves like the ones on sober and that very short one in eulogy. Speaking of sober..I don't know if there is a fill that could sound any smoother than his intro into that song.
We escape
Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist
Speaking of sober..I don't know if there is a fill that could sound any smoother than his intro into that song.
Yeah, the one he did on the 4-track demo version... I used to have it a bunch of years ago and if I recall correctly it was actually a wee bit harder than the album one.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist
I think that one of my favorite danny carey things are his hi hat grooves like the ones on sober and that very short one in eulogy.
Yeah that groove is awesome! I also really like the hihat groove in 5/8 over Justins 6/8 bass in Lateralus. In Modern Drummer he explains most of the time sigs in the Lateralus album.

Can i also ask, does anyone know where to find some Danney Carey Transcriptions! I hope someone has a link!!! I have tried looking around the net, i just cant find many!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Senior Consultant

Danny Carey kicks ass. He's what got me into drums. Like those who stated before me, don't read too much into the weird side of Tool. It's a marketing scheme. I love Tool, can't wait for the new album.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 PM

I'm really suprised we haven't seen a Tool Dvd released. I hear there's one from the Lateralus Tour in the works.

Does anybody know if Danny plays heel-up or heel-toe?

g
Old 08-08-2005, 11:00 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicatrizoo
I'm really suprised we haven't seen a Tool Dvd released. I hear there's one from the Lateralus Tour in the works.

Does anybody know if Danny plays heel-up or heel-toe?

g
Heel-up all the way, I think. As for a DVD, I think the major reason they haven't done it is that it's probably quite hard to fit into their image. They've capitalised in a big way on staying mysterous and aloof, why change unless they need the money?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 AM

I still don't know how he plays the intro and especially the middle fill to "sober." It seems impossibly fast, like it shouldn't fit in the measure, but it does. It's absolutely incredibly. His fills in Undertow are so money.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:31 AM

i think he begins the fill with doubles (a roll on the snare) and as he progesses down the toms, he changes to singles. it starts really fast and chaotic and comes out i the end with a definite tempo/rhythm. it's the perfect intro to that song.... *SIGH*
Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 PM

he's got great ones, sober's one... ticks and leeches, the grudge, 46 & 2, schism, all the tool songs have great fills, rythms and creative stuff