DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Old Ludwig Hardware

Hi Guys I have a question about old hardware. I am getting back into drummming after a long hiatus. I am in the process of getting back my old kit. I have alot of 80's vintage Ludwig atlas hardware. Is there any value to this stuff.? It's quite dirty and has light pitting is it worth cleaning up. Also do you have anysuggestions on cleaning this stuff Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Old Ludwig Hardware

IMO, not really. Hardware isn't that expensive and the hardware from the era wasn't very well made.

(http://www.ludwigdrummer.com is a great source for vintage ludwig products)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Plenty of Ludwig Atlas and Hercules stuff on eBay right now, if you want to satisfy your curiosity. I'd say if it's "really dirty and pitted", it's probably not worth your while. Showroom mint condition would be another ballgame.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The old Ludwig stands aren't worth much, but it's worth hanging on to them. They're good solid stands (a little too solid for some!) and they'll last provided the condition is good. I would just use those rather than buying new hardware unless weight is an issue.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

I had a bunch of stands, same condition: very dirty with minor pitting. They should clean up real good, with just a little effort.

Get a bottle of liquid chrome polish from an auto parts store and a bag of terrycloth rags. Pour a little polish on a rag and go to town. Then buff with a clean rag. All the crap comes off surprisingly easy. You could do one whole stand in less that 15 minutes. It'll even take off a lot of the minor pitting and rust.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 AM

I agree it's worth checking eBay to get a feel for price. New Ludwig stands are actually pretty cheap... like $25 each for lower end straight double braced stands.

-Ryan
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. I was just wondering if the drums themselves would be worth more with the original hardware. And my mistake they were Hercules series with the tubular legs and rubber feet. I'm thinking I will try to clean them up first and see what happens. At the very least I will have to get a new Hi-hat stand any suggestions
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiceFan View Post
I was just wondering if the drums themselves would be worth more with the original hardware. And my mistake they were Hercules series with the tubular legs and rubber feet. I'm thinking I will try to clean them up first and see what happens.
That all depends on who you sell your kit to. I, personally, would have no use for crapped out old Ludwig hardware. And I sure wouldn't want to pay shipping charges for the extra weight (for example, if you sell on eBay). But, some cats might want the stuff. If the stands clean up, cool. I'd still sell them separate from the kit.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

I think the stands are worth hanging on to, especially if you can use them and they can be cleaned up nicely without a ton of effort.

But, if they are "just a mess", there are plenty of good quality, not terribly expensive stands out there.

As for selling them, I have to agree with the others (even though I'm a Ludwig guy), someone would have to be a pretty serious collector and want to get a "real" 70's kit together to spend any kind of money on them to be worth it, such as a cheap deal on a whole set, and semi-cheap shipping--if they were in nice condition.

In a way, it's too bad because the Hercules stuff was pretty nice, and the later Modular add-ons were compatible with them too.

If you can clean them up, they'd still be great stands to use, but I would probably get a new hat stand...Ludwig's Modular stand is very nice, if you don't need a 2 leg type, and it's leg spread isn't as huge as the Hercules has.

Ludwig also offers a 2 leg stand with a small "third leg" that swivels, and that stand is pretty nice (I have the Gibraltar version of that same stand, & I love it).

Good luck with them!