DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Default dw 9700 stand

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DW-9700-...24-i1136203.gc

heyy i have this stand and the part where i place my cymbal in between the felt pads and then ptu the screw on the top always holds my cymbal way to tight and gives my cymbal no mobility after it being it. how can i give my cymbal more sustain with this but still having it screwed to the tightest amount. if i dont' screw it down to the tightest possible posistion it pops off. i don't have this problem with my other PDP booms/straights.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: dw 9700 stand

Try some thinner felt pads or cut one of your pads in half (thickness )
Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Take your cymbal off the stand and try this.

Notice the black metal thingy that the bottom felt pad sits on. On the side of that thingy down lower is a drum bolt. Loosen that bolt and rotate the thingy downwards a few turns. Then tighten the drum bolt, put the cymbal and top felt on and see how that works.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKarr View Post
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DW-9700-...24-i1136203.gc

heyy i have this stand and the part where i place my cymbal in between the felt pads and then ptu the screw on the top always holds my cymbal way to tight and gives my cymbal no mobility after it being it. how can i give my cymbal more sustain with this but still having it screwed to the tightest amount. if i dont' screw it down to the tightest possible posistion it pops off. i don't have this problem with my other PDP booms/straights.
You are doing something wrong, as the DW cymbal holder has a great adjustment. Maybe you just haven't done what you need to. Take your drumkey and unloosen the screw on the felt holder. Then turn the holder counterclockwise. Once completely unscrewed, the holder gives you at least one inch of room above the cymbal, and that is AFTER using a very thick DW felt below the cymbal ... all the space you could possibly desire or need. Here is a copy of the instruictions taken from the 9700 Manual. If you need the complete sheet, here is the link.
http://dwdrums.com/info/manuals/DW9700Manual.pdf

Section 4.2: Cymbal Space Adjustment
1. Loosen the drumkey screw on the cymbal seat/cymbal space mechanism.
2. Spin the mechanism to open or close the amount of space between the upper and
lower cymbal felts and the cymbal. Be careful to leave some slack in the spacing as this
will allow the cymbal to sound fuller and prevent cracking.
3. Adjust the angle of the tilter and retighten the Position Reset Handle and TechLock.

Hope this helps. Joey
*Edit - Didn't see Death's post ... of course, he got it right!

Last edited by joeybeats; 03-29-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Try some thinner felt pads or cut one of your pads in half (thickness )

I agree: cut the felts in half. Seems a lot of stands are made this way, which frankly, is stupid. I bought three new Ludwig stands (admittedly, lower end ones) and the felts were way too tight. An X-acto knife cured that! ;-)

-Ryan
Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Ryan, as Death and I pointed out, he isn't properly using the stand. The DW 9700 is an awesome piece of equipment, designed very well, particularly the cymbal tilter section. In any event, it certainly has enough room to properly seat and play the cymbal, without having to resort to modifying anything. Joey
Old 03-30-2008, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Ryan, as Death and I pointed out, he isn't properly using the stand. The DW 9700 is an awesome piece of equipment, designed very well, particularly the cymbal tilter section. In any event, it certainly has enough room to properly seat and play the cymbal, without having to resort to modifying anything. Joey
Yes, and you can even make this adjustment while the cymbal is mounted. In fact, that's a good way to do it because you can check the cymbal wag by hand and move the black bottom collar up or down as needed.