DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Default my taye tour pro kit

hello, i''ve been coming to this site for a couple years now, but just started checking out the forums. thought i'd start out with a couple pics of my kit.

taye tour pro drums, basswood shells.
toms - 8" 10" 12" mounted, 14" floor. (all evans ec2 heads)
kick - 20" (evans emad batter head, aquarian reso)
snare - 14x5 basswood (remo ambassador) -13x3 pearl piccolo (evans st dry) - 14x5 ludwig steel (dont use this drum, dont remember what head haha).

cymbals -
20" zildjian avedis ride
14" zildjian avedis hats
6" zildjian A custom splash
10" zildjian avedis splash
10" sabian aax spash (love that thing)
14" zildjian A custom fast crash
14" zildjian avedis crash
14" zildjian A custom projection crash
16" zildjian K custom dark crash
14" zildjian china
18" zildjian china
10" zildjian zil-bell

i sometimes also stick on a cowbell and/or a vibraslap
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: my taye tour pro kit

You got a lot going on their buddy... I guess its cool for rock and metal but thats just not my gig.. My only question, and I don't mean to come off rude is. How well do you play on a smaller kit, say like a 4 piece.
Also cool thing you got goin on with that last rack almost a rack/floor doohickey

Other then that... pretty cool kit I would like to try something like this out. Ive always played smaller kits, 4 piece maybe a 5(even a 3 for jazz) with maybe 2 rides(w/ nice crashablity) and a pair of hats.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Oh, since you dont play that acro(looks like an acro...?) you wanna sell it? if so how much you willing to let it go for?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Sweet set, I did pre-production on a taye tour pro before recording a c.d. about 5 years back and loved it. Awesome drums.

I have ddrum's and Gretsch in Similar config's 22", 10" 12" 14" (or 15" ddrum) and 16" with a 14 " snare and a 10" snare. perfect blend of colors and tones I find. and for the less is more drummer I keep a 4 pce Keller set handy.

But sweet set, very nice,

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
You got a lot going on their buddy... I guess its cool for rock and metal but thats just not my gig..
Zildjian A's and K's aren't only for rock are they? I thought K's were for funk and even jazz...

OT: Great gear you have, lots of cymbals to choose from. You setup seems not very relaxed tom-wise, with the 3rd tom like that, but it's your set so if it works for you...

Have a lot of fun playing, and post something in the 'your playing' section so you can show us what you are capable of :-)

How long have you been playing by the way?

Oh, and welcome to the forums! I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we all do.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You got a lot going on their buddy... I guess its cool for rock and metal but thats just not my gig.. My only question, and I don't mean to come off rude is. How well do you play on a smaller kit, say like a 4 piece.
Also cool thing you got goin on with that last rack almost a rack/floor doohickey

Other then that... pretty cool kit I would like to try something like this out. Ive always played smaller kits, 4 piece maybe a 5(even a 3 for jazz) with maybe 2 rides(w/ nice crashablity) and a pair of hats.
tell dave weckl HE has alot goin on man !! lol j/k.

since i'm no longer in a band, i just kinda put everything i have on my kit. when i was gigging, i used all the drums but only a ride, 2 crashes, hats and a splash. i learned pretty quick that.... 1, drummers dont get laid if they have a ton of stuff to pack up. and 2, setting up and tearing down a bunch of stuff sucks !

i used to have another kit, a rodgers/slingerland mix kit with a 24" kick, 13" tom, 16" floor tom, and 14x6 snare. with 22" meinl ride, 16" meinl crash and 14" meinl hats, that i used for jazz and for practice with my band when my kit was packed up. i gave them away though since i dont have room for them anymore.

as far as my style goes, i guess i play just about everything. with the exception of thrash metal. my favorite thing to play is funk and jazz. been trying to get the brushes down lately, but i dont get much time to practice anymore.

and i've been playing for about 20 or so years. started in 6th grade at 13 years old and i'm 33 years old now. i quit playing a couple times for a few years and started back up.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Zildjian A's and K's aren't only for rock are they? I thought K's were for funk and even jazz...

OT: Great gear you have, lots of cymbals to choose from. You setup seems not very relaxed tom-wise, with the 3rd tom like that, but it's your set so if it works for you...

Have a lot of fun playing, and post something in the 'your playing' section so you can show us what you are capable of :-)

How long have you been playing by the way?

Oh, and welcome to the forums! I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we all do.
thanks !!!! my setup doesnt look right, i know, lol but it works really well for me ergonomically and helps with my speed (believe it or not !!)

i'll try to post something of me playing. i'll have to ask my former bandmates first though since i'm not with them anymore and they're still doin alot of the same songs. just a respect thing ya know ! if not, maybe i'll run the snake, mic up and plug in the firepod and record something...... but dont be prepared to be blown away !! hahaha
Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

I wasnt saying his cymbals where not my style, but the crowded space with tons of equipment just isnt my thing thats all.. no hating here my brothas
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Great ! Nice kit & cymbals.

Funny, you own only one Sabian and you love that thing... You should get more though :-)

Post pic of your ludwig snare, seeing it on the side, it look like an Acrolite ???

My Kit Latest Update
Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Administrator

What can I say. Gotta love TAYE drums, and Tour Pro are rockin'. I would love to have that many targets to aim for.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:05 AM

y dude thats a gnarly setup you got there. im getting an 8, 10" toms tomorrow and an 18" soon but how much did all those cymbals cost cuzz im not 1 to go spend a lot but i know for my stle i need more than just 5 cymbals. they are all basic and i need some cool ones. so just wanting to know so i can get a rad kit like yours. but man thats gota be fun to play on.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

Looks like an Acrolite to me too. Nice set by the way.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I wasnt saying his cymbals where not my style, but the crowded space with tons of equipment just isnt my thing thats all.. no hating here my brothas
it's cool man, no offense taken !! i really dont like alot of them either, i just put em all on the kit since i'm not in a band anymore. nothin wrong with experimenting !!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post
y dude thats a gnarly setup you got there. im getting an 8, 10" toms tomorrow and an 18" soon but how much did all those cymbals cost cuzz im not 1 to go spend a lot but i know for my stle i need more than just 5 cymbals. they are all basic and i need some cool ones. so just wanting to know so i can get a rad kit like yours. but man thats gota be fun to play on.
oh man, i cant remember how much dough i have wrapped up in cymbals. probably quite a bit !! i could probably dig it up for ya if you'd like. i have all the reciepts !

i have a hard time getting my 8" to tune up how i like it, but it might just be the room i'm in. it sounds great miked up on stage ! let me know how you like that 18" when it comes.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Great ! Nice kit & cymbals.

Funny, you own only one Sabian and you love that thing... You should get more though :-)

Post pic of your ludwig snare, seeing it on the side, it look like an Acrolite ???
thank you !

i'm not really sure what this snare is. here's a pic, maybe someone can tell me. all the badge says is "ludwig usa" and the serial number. no other identification on the drum.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Well I'm no Ludwig expert but you may have a little jewel in hand. I'm pretty sure it's an Acrolite with the blue/olive badge (70s), the little brother of the Supraphonic which is one of the most recorded snare drum in the music industry, Supra was and is known as the John Bonham beast. The shell isn't steel but ludalloy, a special secret formula of aluminium alloy. An alloy very well praised amoung drummers & recording engineer.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Well I'm no Ludwig expert but you may have a little jewel in hand. I'm pretty sure it's an Acrolite with the blue/olive badge (70s), the little brother of the Supraphonic which is one of the most recorded snare drum in the music industry, Supra was and is known as the John Bonham beast. The shell isn't steel but ludalloy, a special secret formula of aluminium alloy. An alloy very well praised amoung drummers & recording engineer.
awesome ! thanks for the info ! i got this drum from my best friend who passed away a few years ago. he gave it to me before he went. he got it when he was in school, probably around 85' or so. not sure if it was new or used, maybe i'll call his mom and find out.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty obviously an Acrolite. Good snares those, fairly common and reasonably cheap second hand; but the sort of snare that everyone should own at some point in their lives. Covers a lot of bases, hang onto that one!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Nice Tour Pro kit. I like the green color alot.

I have a 4 piece Tour pro in the antique honey finish (I'm using a stewart copeland snare) with a 20" kick and a 10", a 12" and 14" toms. I got it for a steal and I'd been wanting a Taye kit for a long time when I found it as a used display kit selling on ebay. I won the auction at $400. I was excited. It took me awhile to get the tunings right and find the 'sound' of these drums (for me it's been a long journey of trial and error figuring out how to tune my drums well). While I've been happy with the sound playing moderate to light playing levels these drums shine when you really lay into them a bit...or alot. The shells have a full rich tone. There's almost a melodic quality to them. I've been struggling to get the best sound out of the 10" a bit but I've gotten the 12 and 14 tuned to be deep and woody. Real nice. I love the kick the most. A nice thud with a big thick full tone without being ringy. I've had it for about 4 years now and while I've thought many times of buying another kit (though I can't afford it right now) this kit has taught me alot about the way a drum kit should sound and will definitely help me when I do decide to get another set. In the meantime I have no complaints. I love playing it.

p.s. if it interests anyone, I tune my kit by tightening up the bottom head high and then tuning the top head looser, adjusting as I go until it sounds like I've gotten a good tone for each drum. I used Remo Pinstripes on the toms and have Evans heads on the kick and snare.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't really get this comment. I mean it's like if i asked you "you drive a big 'ol 4x4. I guess it's cool if you're a farmer or landowner but it's not really my thing. I don't mean to be rude or anything but how would you cope driving a mini? Why should he have to play a 4 piece kit, he plays a big kit because that's what works for him. Might not work for you but that's why you have a small kit. Everyone's different.

Nice kit, i reckon you should have a go with the AcL. I'm sure your friend would want someone to be using it as it was designed for.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM

Great looking kit. Hows the basswood? I've never liked basswood i've always thought about it as just a cheap version of mahogony but now a lot of great intermediate yamaha, pearl and tama kits seems to be utilizing it for the more pronounced low end. And I'm thinking about a tama superstar for my next kit which i believe is a birch/basswood blend but I've never gotten to play any basswood kits (the display kits ay mt GC are all pro DW or OCDP kits that are fun but I won't be able to afford until i'm 30 haha.) Do you have experience on other kits? and If so how does the basswood compare?
Again great looking kit, I've never been a Taye fan but ive never seen one that nice either. Only word of advice USE THAT ACROLITE those snares are amazing. Thats going to be my next ebay purchase. :)
Old 04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Very nice!
Would I be correct in stating that the older Tour Pro's were all basswood, and the newer ones are Birch/Basswood?
I have a new Tour pro in Antique Honey, and it states "Premium Select" Birch with basswood.
All I know is that it's the best sounding kit I've owned since my Sonor Delites.
Just an awesome, focussed solid sound
Cheers
Phil