DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Terry Bozzio

Chances are that you've heard of Terry Bozzio, and if you haven't, then all you should really know is that he thinks and plays his drums like their his own orchestra ~ melodically.

At first, I was thrown off, because, as we all know, it's all about the groove, but as I listened to more of his work and saw his video here, I became more and more impressed. So now, melodic drumming takes up some of my time as an interesting approach to the drums. He drummed for Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, among other bands, and is now a solo artist.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Terry_Bozzio.html
Old 07-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Terry Bozzio

bozzio is amazing. Truly an inspiration. Everyone should check him out! I gained a lot just from watching his video's. Well worth a look!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Jason Dorn

This man is incredible he once played the musical score for a ballet not the rhythm the music. I find that his melodic playing while amazing is a bit of an aquired taste if you would like to hear more conventional drumming from him check out his work with Zappa or Bozzio Levin Stevens great stuff.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Also checkout his work with Jeff Beck.

I still like Bozzio but I think he has become a little abstract for my personal taste...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Member

didnt he have that all black kit? was it mapex? whatever it was i want it now :P
Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Default terry bozzio

he is for many, not a drummer but an orchestra...then again for others he is a sleeping monster because we dont see a lot from him lately.

i think that he is a monster of a drummer and even though for most of us, the SS Terry Bozzio II is too much, he plays it with such musicality and color that i love it. of course after five minutes i would get bored to listen to him...if it was behind that kit i would try hitting everything in front of me....lol

so what do you guys think about Terry and his kit?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Opus

Default Re: terry bozzio

I had the pleasure of seeing Terry, with Mike Patton in Fantomas, at this years Roskilde. Terry is rocksteady, a bit crazy, and very musical to watch. In fact, he had the musical parts written down on notes(even the melodic notes for his tuned timbales etc) And if you havent heard Fantomas...... its pretty out there, in arrangements and speed. So he impressed bigtime
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 PM

to see more vids and pictures from him: www.terrybozzio.com
so nice.. and now, his drum kit is bigger (toms x 2): he want to plays the "chromatics" (half tone by half tone)
Old 07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Stu_Strib

I'd like to see him on a standard kit. What he has there is very unique, but its so far detached from 'drumset' I can't know what to think of it. Perhaps its the world's largest, most expensive Marimba?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 AM
FunkMasterFletch

If you just look at this kit and how he plays on his monster kit, you must realize the just amazing amount of skill you MUST have to play anything like Terry does. With the type of music and the type of set up he has, no one will ever be close to as good he is.....its just amazing
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Scottylawton

His kit is a work of art, chromatic scale and diotonic scale on each side, and if you look at all the remotes he has to hihats and other bass drum pedals amazing,All credit to him his roadies and DW

Last edited by Scottylawton; 08-04-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 AM
CJdrumfan

I have seen Terry in clinic twice, own one of his videos, have Bozzio/Levin/Stevens and Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop cd, and have always been seriously impressed by his chops, commitment, and INTENSITY! Anyone who has the Zappa credentials has the goods. Have you seen his duets with fellow Zappa alum Chad Wackerman? Talk about inspirational! And that kit is huge, but melodic! If I ever make enough disposable income to afford it, you bet I'd fill my spare room with DW drums! Bozzio raises the bar every time he grabs a pair of sticks.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 AM

Default TERRY BOZZIO

i think that this guy is the most unique drummer. he is so well cordinated its insane. check out his vidieos on www.vicfirth.com
Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Terry is a nut and I love him!

I saw him with Jeff Beck, in clinic and remember him from seeing Baby Snakes at a very ealry age.

He's brought the drumset and it's players to an entirely new level.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 PM

Terry is one of my favorites....I know some people don't like him because of his huge set, but I've seen him play and he always seems to incorporate all of it when he's playing and in a very cool way too...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 PM

terry bozzio, what a great drummer.
he is the frank zappa of drums. not afraid to do things nobody has done before.
not that anybody will be rich enough to copy his setup...
but why has he got cymbals in places where he can't even reach?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:11 AM

this is a hilarious song by Frank Zappa, feature TB on drums and vocals acting as 'the devil'.
very funky. hope you like it.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Titties and Beer.mp3 (2.61 MB, 1241 views)
Old 08-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Administrator Emeritus

I remember that song from when I was a little kid, but I didn't know that was Bozzio as the devil. After hearing this one now I realize that the version I heard as a kid was an edited version of the same performance. Zappa calls him "Bozzio" at one point, and TB refers to his girlfriend as "Dale," two big clues.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRockDrummer
this is a hilarious song by Frank Zappa, feature TB on drums and vocals acting as 'the devil'.
very funky. hope you like it.
If you want to go one better, there's always "Punky's Whips" which is a much more involved song about Terry's obsession with a glam rock guitarist. Contains the cracker of a line "His hair is so pretty / I want to bite his neck / I've heard a rumour / He's more fluid than Jeff Beck".

The arrangement is better too, T&B is more of a comedy sketch.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:48 PM
misteranderson

All too often, drummers who are extremely techinically accomplished just blaze away with nothing musical to say, but Terry Bozzio manages to employ his considerable ability in the service of *music,* not drumming as an "extreme sport."

When TB was touring with Jeff Beck a couple years ago, Jeff and the keyboard player would drop out completely during the tune "Scatterbrain" and let Terry take over, playing the riff on his toms while keeping the groove going underneath. Incredible!

If you're familiar with that song, then you know it's hard enough for most drummers to just play the groove alone. But to play the melody as well...wow.

--Dave A.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:38 AM
giffage

Hi all,
new to this forum, 45 year old player from the UK. Playing for 30 years.
Had the great fortune to attend a Bozz clinic in Birmingham, England a few weeks ago.
I am still trying to find the words that can even come close to describing it!
It truly opened my eyes to a new world of drumming. I've since bought "Solo Drum Music vol 1,2 and 3" and "Chamber Works"
Just makes me smile to think of it! I loved Bozz from Zappa, UK etc. but this man is something so special, it's like a door has opened to a whole new era of drumming.
If I ever hear any guitarist, keyboard player etc. come out with some cheap drummer joke again I will simply produce "solo drum music" and watch their smug face turn to one of confused wonder, and how I will laugh!!!!!

Mapex user, DW dreamer!!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:17 PM

if you like bozzio, listen to the robbie robertson album: some where down the crazy river
its manu catche and bozzio drumming............
Old 09-04-2005, 10:48 PM
mlehnertz

...in a semi-profile which emphasized the pootched out succulence off his insolent, pouting rictus, the sight of which drove the helpless drummer mad with desire!

Take it away Don Pardo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
If you want to go one better, there's always "Punky's Whips" which is a much more involved song about Terry's obsession with a glam rock guitarist. Contains the cracker of a line "His hair is so pretty / I want to bite his neck / I've heard a rumour / He's more fluid than Jeff Beck".

Old 09-10-2005, 03:52 PM

a little bit of an odd guy, ill have to admit. extremely creative however, his approach to drumming is very innovative. in listening to him i noticed he makes good use of his pedals as the backbone of his melodic solos with very intricate patterns. as for his kit, he obviously has the skills to get up to a level where dw will make you such a monster (i highly doubt he paid a cent for it)
Old 10-19-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins

i actually read that the story was a bout bozzio's "relationship" with an older zappa groupie who was into, er, "odd" insertions and the like. i could always be wrong though.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_H
didnt he have that all black kit? was it mapex? whatever it was i want it now :P
You mean the kit he used in some instructional video? it sounds like someone is throwing basketballs against a wall.

http://www.home.no/t0k/bozzioshitkit.mp3

And what's up with those sloppy singlestrokes with his feets?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:13 AM

Default New [old] Bozzio Video - Zappa era

Hey guys!

Found this cool video of Terry Bozzion pre-molodic kit tearing it up at a zappa concert! Great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/?v=k1bqCsczyUQ

Enjoy!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapa
You mean the kit he used in some instructional video? it sounds like someone is throwing basketballs against a wall.
That was the Remo kit that was triggered and the sound was extremely edited. If you heard the set played acoustically, without the triggers, it sounded even worse!

You have to remember that Terry was one of the main drivers of electronic drums when they first came out! I think the two best things about Terry's time on the electronic set were that:
1.) it forced him to perfect his meter because you can hear every little mistake on an electronic kit
2.) he learned so much about sound... how to HEAR it and how to CHANGE it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapa
And what's up with those sloppy singlestrokes with his feets?
Um... have you ever heard of flams or drag notes? Do an online search for Terry's "rudiments from hell."

I've been a fan of his for some time and have seen his drum clinic. Zappa's "Live in NY" is my all time favorite album!
Terry's drumset is no longer a drumset, it is a percussion section. It looks massive but just think of it as combining all the different instruments in a percussion section into something playable by one person. Replace the bells/xylophone/marimba with pre-tuned concert toms and there you go! Just like a piano player doesn't use all the keys for every song, Terry doesn't use all the instruments on every song either. He has taken what most people think of as "drumming" and taken it past "percussion." His ideas aren't wholely unique but there are very few drummers with his amount of exposure doing the same thing.

He is a very good technical player with very good 4-way independance and an awesome knack for using the mathematical approach for breaking apart/layering drum parts/music. I have always enjoyed listening to his rhythmic approach to songs; not just the typical 2 & 4 stuff.

Kudos to Bozzio for doing as much as he has for the drumming world. I hope to see him again soon!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 AM

i think that every single drummer have something to l.............everything to learn from bozzio just listening 10 sec of any song..........he is the master, the lord of the drums and if someone say that other drummer can beat him..............i really want to know the guy
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 AM

what genre is the black page?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:33 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbash
what genre is the black page?
I'd assert that it is something resembling progressive rock.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Terry Bozzio is in a class all by himself. His innovative approach to the drumset as tonal instrument is inspired, for sure. His chops and technical wizardry never outshadow the musical essence of any piece he plays on. Check out The Brecker Brothers' "Heavy Metal Be-Bop" album for a fine example of a young, developing post-Zappa Bozzio. His work with Levin & Stevens is incredible, too. If you want to hear Terry in a real "out" situation, dig out his Polytown album with David Torn & Mick Karn. No doubt, Terry is a unique & passionate artist.

TOMANO
Old 01-14-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Terri Bozzio

does he really need that many drums? i mean come on, enough is enough.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Terri Bozzio

It does look like overkill at first glance, but my understanding is that the kit is tuned to a chromatic scale on the left side (the piccolo toms) and a diatonic scale on the right (regular toms). Likewise, the cymbals are arranged tonally, along with the percussion stuff (not sure if those are crotales or what...)

I accept any drummer's right to have as big or as small a kit as they want/can afford. It IS a shame to see a drummer with a massive array of drums and cymbals that don't get used... but hey, if being surrounded by a bunch of superfluous hardware fulfills some need for them, more power to 'em.

Bozzio, from my understanding at least, makes use of every drum, cymbal and widget.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a shot of Terry Bozzio's "smaller" kit last week at NAMM before the show, and two shots of the same kit the next night at a different show:
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 AM

I was fortunate to catch Terry Bozzio performing in Singapore with Indian percussionist Ustad Zakir Hussain and Giovanni Hidalgo 2 weeks ago

The whole gig lasted for about 4 hours and at the end of it, everybody is still asking for more. The jam towards the last part was excellent, started trading 4s and 2s and 1s, 1/2 and 1/4..:)

Terry rocks!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 AM

the videos iv seen of him on the vic firth website were mightily impressive.
how much would a kit that size AND made by dw cost??? probably about as much as my house!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yes he is really great and...well, crazy. but he is a big king for musical playing, his coordition is wonderful!! He is amazing!

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: New [old] Bozzio Video - Zappa era

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
Hey guys!

Found this cool video of Terry Bozzion pre-molodic kit tearing it up at a zappa concert! Great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/?v=k1bqCsczyUQ

Enjoy!
Just reading through this thread again.... that video is AMAZING he decimated the living hell out of that drumset!!! i was speechless for the first 30 sec.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 AM

Terry is currently in bombay,India studying Indian rhythms.
Steve Smith was here last year, studying with the same Indian percussionist.
i got to sit in for a class, yesterday.
Terry was superb.