DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-22-2008, 02:08 AM

Default Indigenous Roots Drum Kit

Is anyone else playing a version of what I call my Indidgenous Roots Drum Kit?

I have kept the kit 'organic', the core being three conga drums, two didgeridoo, and five foot pedals for other percussion instruments. Though I am a trap drummer, on this kit I play exclusively with my hands, oh with the exception of when I use goat toenails shakers to slap on the drums.

I have put a lot of thought into the details of this Roots Kit, and a lot of work into learning to play it.

If you are curious, you can hear and see a number of my solo compositions at www.youtube.com/bongodoggie.

I would be interested to hear from others working up similar stuff.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Indigenous Roots Drum Kit

Hey bongo...

I know you from congaplace. Nice to see you here... I'd like to see and here some clips of you on kit as well if you have any. Cool gear!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Hey bongo...

I know you from congaplace. Nice to see you here... I'd like to see and here some clips of you on kit as well if you have any. Cool gear!

Thanks Garvin. Yes the Roots Kit, the gear, is cool I think too.

I have several gizmos on that kit I invented, like the horizontal cowbell mount. It has a shorter throw than the commercial vertical ones, which makes it quicker and more articulate. The suspended seed pods and nut shells are mounted on rods cut from plastic clothes hangers which flex and shake for crash effects. I think the sponge mounted on the didgeridoo is a cool little detail too. It lets me wet a finger needed to produce the slide sound on conga without breaking the circular breathing on the didgeridoo.

I plan to record some standard drumkit video sometime too. I'd like that.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:19 AM
fourstringdrums

Welcome! I really enjoy your videos. Your setup is very creative as is your playing. Definitely refreshing.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Very unusual set and great playing. Not many people here can claim to have a truly different set, but you can. Your set rethinks the concept of the Western trap drum set and is a daring approach to an instrument that has changed relatively little in 75 years.

Here is something I used to play for about 15 years, somewhat along the lines of your Roots Drum Kit.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Very unusual set and great playing. Not many people here can claim to have a truly different set, but you can. Your set rethinks the concept of the Western trap drum set and is a daring approach to an instrument that has changed relatively little in 75 years.

Here is something I used to play for about 15 years, somewhat along the lines of your Roots Drum Kit.

Thank you for your encouraging words. As far as I know the Indigenous Roots Kit is unique, I haven't seen anyone else doing it quite like me. It has been fun coming up with stuff to play on it, it opens things up, leads to possibilities.

Good for you, I see your kit made the pages of Modern Drummer for kit of the month. My kit will probably be seen there too, MD has asked for better photos.

Were you working up the left foot clave in your kit? It has been a challenge to me, along with countering with a right foot cascara. Breaking free from the feet to solo can be mind boggling too. Sometimes in the middle I think "How can I be doing this!"
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 AM

Here is a photo of the Indigenous Roots Kit. There is a detailed discription of the components at www.youtube.com/bongodoggie.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodoggie View Post
Thank you for your encouraging words. As far as I know the Indigenous Roots Kit is unique, I haven't seen anyone else doing it quite like me. It has been fun coming up with stuff to play on it, it opens things up, leads to possibilities.

Good for you, I see your kit made the pages of Modern Drummer for kit of the month. My kit will probably be seen there too, MD has asked for better photos.

Were you working up the left foot clave in your kit? It has been a challenge to me, along with countering with a right foot cascara. Breaking free from the feet to solo can be mind boggling too. Sometimes in the middle I think "How can I be doing this!"
I can do left foot clave with a few patterns, but progress is slow in adding more. It really does take a lot of practice.

Good luck getting your kit in MD. You certainly have something out of the ordinary and that's what they're looking for!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Just got the September '08 issue of Modern Drummer and my Primitive Kit is featured nicely on the last page.
Thanks Modern Drummer for a nice write-up!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

Sweet, My kit was in the July 05 (I think) issue of M.D's kit of the month, Although mine wasn't an indegenous roots kit.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 PM

I have encouraged our local drum teacher to set up a kit with your design. I told him how important and cool it would be for all his students, and a great write-off for the business.

Its all most all bought, and he just learned how to make the digerydoo work. He had no experinece with blow jobs....LOL. A new guy in town from BC Canada who plays hand drums, showed us how to do it properly, drooling drummers unite.

A TD-20 is also on the way to take over for the TD-6V and he has a Sonor S-Class Pro double bass and a Getsch late 70's kit....spoiled students.

We sir salute you.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsword View Post
Sweet, My kit was in the July 05 (I think) issue of M.D's kit of the month, Although mine wasn't an indegenous roots kit.
Congratulations to you and bongodoggie! We are in an elite group.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

Im not even getting into it, I envy that cordination! EXCELLENT STUFF you should do street shows in a metro area!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Pioneer Member

I just got my Issue of Modern drummer and saw your kit, So now Officially, "Congratulations"!!!

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Cool idea, kind of reminds me of what Australian artist Xavier Rudd does.

Check it: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=2102655