DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Default new snare head

Right, I am using an Evans Genera coated head for my snare. I can't remember the exact type of Genera, but it is time to buy a new head. I have been thinking about remos and two heads that look interesting are the Remo Ambassador 14" coated and the Remo 14" Renaissance Powerstroke.

I usually like to play rock and alt. rock. For example, Muse, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses etc.

Which one of those heads would you recommend? Or would you recommend some other heads?

Cheers.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: new snare head

Do you like the Evans head or are you changing just for the heck of it. The type of music really doesn't matter, its the sound of the drum that matters.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 PM

i've got an ambassador on my snare drum. and an ambassador on the snare side. i dig those heads. the ambassadors are a single ply of 10 mil. the emperors are two plys of 7.5 mil. the powerstroke probably would kill any overtones your drum might have. personally i like overtones . . . i'd try all three and see which one works the best.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM

I like my head, but I have had for many years now and is really worn out already. Looks like it could break soon.

What I could do is get a new head to and put my current head on my snare side, replacing the original Tama snare head that is there. Will that make the snare sound worse if I put a worn out head on the snare side?

My kit is the Tama Rockstar Custom.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmo View Post
I like my head, but I have had for many years now and is really worn out already. Looks like it could break soon.

What I could do is get a new head to and put my current head on my snare side, replacing the original Tama snare head that is there. Will that make the snare sound worse if I put a worn out head on the snare side?

If you like the evans head go for the genera dry it has little tiny holes up by the rim of the head i used to use that head all the time but now I use the most popular snare head ever: 14" coated ambassador but unlike the other post I like to put a diplomat snare side head on the snare side.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Coated Ambassador for me……

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

no don't put a worn out batter head on the snare side especially if it's a coated head and all beat to hell. it won't sound good.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

If it has been years, I would replace both heads, and see what a world of difference it will make.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Big_Philly

Coated Ambassadors are the most popular snare drum heads around, for a good reason in my opinion. Using a powerstroke will give your drum a little less overtones and a little more body, but less versatility if you like to play near the edges for that high-pitch singing occasionaly.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Ok, good to know NOT to put my Evans head on the snare side! The snare head that I have now really is not worn out at all. Should I still replace it? I have had that for 6 plus years now.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM
fourstringdrums

I use the evans coated Power Center Reverse Dot religiously. I even use it on 14" floor toms sometimes.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, good to know NOT to put my Evans head on the snare side! The snare head that I have now really is not worn out at all. Should I still replace it? I have had that for 6 plus years now.
six years. ya. i'd replace it. it depends on how much you play it of course. but six years? get yourself a good head. getting new heads is always fun!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Even though the snare side head isn't one that is struck with a stick it still takes allot of abuse from the snare wires and also the pressure from the air being pushed down into it when you strike the drum. Snare side heads are traditionally a thinner head than a batter head and clear which is what gives it the sensitivity.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Ok, cheers for the info!