DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-08-2015, 07:18 PM

Default New Yamaha direct drive hi hat stand broke.. Help!

Hey guys, My brother in law gave me a (basically new) yamaha hi hat hs1200d, direct drive which I loved!.. After playing for about 3 months, something inside has either broken or come loose and the hats will no longer return up when removing foot from the pedal. It seems to be around the plastic tension adjustment that you turn by hand. I tried taking it apart to investigate but I can't figure out how to get into it. (After 3 hours!).. My questions first is, has this happened to anyone else and second, can guitar center or a Yammy dealer send it back to yamaha for service and how long does turnaround usually take?... I'm going out to buy a dirt cheap pawn store hat stand to gig with till I get this fixed. It's an amazing stand!... Any input or suggestions?... Thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Yamaha direct drive hi hat stand broke.. Help!

3 months ? i would return it for a new unit. i'm amazed it broke. i have the HS1200 (3-legger) and it's EASILY the best, toughest hi-hat stand i have ever owned / played.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:28 PM

Yeah, it's a great stand ( 2 leg) It was given to me and don't have a receipt so a return would probably be out of the question. Maybe I can find someone or possibly yamaha to repair... I hope
Old 07-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Did the top section of the vertical rod come loose from the bottom half. Take the cymbals off, loosen the thumb screw of lug srew and separate the top tube from the bottom and see if the rod has come loose. if so, put everything back together and screw the top rod to the bottom section
Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 PM

No, actually, that's the first thing I checked. It came with a long and short top rod and I just switched them out for the shorter one about a week ago..it just screws in finger tight and then replace the cymbals and clutch...( if that's what your referring to).. Never had this issue with a stand especially high end Yammy stuff.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Yamaha hardware is warranted for at least one year - maybe five years. No matter where the stand was purchased, the business will have a record of the sale. Ask your BIL to look into it. Don't waste the warranty!

GeeDeeEmm
Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 PM

Well, special size Allen wrenches, vice grips and a day off found me out in the shop determined to fix it. The bottom washer that fits into a slot which holds the compression of the main spring hat somehow turned sideways inside the tube and allow the rod and spring to slide past the washer. Without the washer, there was nothing to compress the spring to raise the hi hat back up.. Problem fixed.... I hated being without this stand and curiosity got the best of me... Who needs a warranty when we have craftsmen tools!... Thanks for everyone's help and input!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for posting the solution to the problem. I would not have suspected that the washer would be the problem. Even though I recommended that you use the warranty, I've never - not once - used the warranty on any of my own equipment because I'm a mechanical sort, have a full shop, lots of experience, and usually repair broken items to better condition than when they left the factory. Glad you did the same. Good job!

GeeDeeEmm