DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 AM

Default Rebuilding an old Ludwig snare

I'm rebuilding this 1980 ludwig concert snare. Can someone tell me the best way to remove and re install the logo plate it's rivetted on. And can anyone tell me the best place to find hardware for it i might want to replace it instead of restore it our would it be impossible to find.
This is one of the best sounding snares I have ever owned I bought it new in 80.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Rebuilding an old Ludwig snare

wow man sweet snare how many lugs? looks like a lot. how is it to tune, pretty tuff? im sure you can refurb that without to much trouble.

check out ghostnote.net forums the will be able to help you out no roblem or you can have LVD hes the ludwig king im sure he can help help ;-)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 AM
PinkZepplin

it looks like there are 12 lugs. I would avoid removing the badge if at all possible, but that's just me, and that's also cause i would have no idea how to put it back on, ha. Sorry i can't be more helpful, nice drum none the less.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Since I never reuse old grommets I file them off using a small rat tail file. I evenly work around the crimped area, just the area where it bends outwards, until it's weakened enough to pop the "rim / ring" of the grommet off, then push, or pull it out of the hole from the opposite side. After that I carefully work the Badge off the Shell which is taped on using double sided adhesive.......

Just take your time and be careful so you don't damage the Badge or Shell and you should be alright. If you have to pry on the Badge at all to get it to raise up just remember to use some sort of protection between your tool and the Shell, heating the Badge up with a hair dryer usually helps release the adhesive's grip on the Shell if it doesn't want to come off very easily. Many times you can slowly pry / work them off by hand, using your fingernail to get them started.............

For what it's worth, here's my Natural Maple Kit that I reconditioned with everything coming off the Drums except the Badges. I cleaned the lacquer finish using Flitz Liquid Metal Polish, which is also safe for many other surfaces, including Plastic, Plexi-glas & Fiberglass. It's also a Paint Restorer, which is the way I used on my Natural's as well as a number of black painted Bass Drum Hoops that had seen better days..............

Oldrockdrummer, any Ludwig Dealer should have replacement parts for your Snare, the part number for the Lugs should be P-2239-C (Twin Lug for Wood Shells.)

I would have to go through my spare parts to see if the current Tone Control is the same type, some have the screw above the shaft hole, some below. Either way, if the only thing on yours that is "bad" is the knob those are interchangeable no matter where the screw hole may be located............

LVDC

Last edited by ludwigvondrumcrazy; 03-14-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 AM

Wow, these are some great looking vintage luddies! Is that 14x8"? Either way, what snare stand do you have that allows you to place it low enough, being so deep. Ever since I got my 14x7 Yamaha, it sits too high in the snare basket, and I wish it were just an inch or so lower.

Great project man, keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 AM

For those who may not be familiar with oldrockdrummer's Snare here is the 1984 information dealing with that model, as well as similar Snares they offered.....

LVDC
Old 03-15-2008, 04:50 AM

Great info guys! looks like mine is the coliseum snare it is a 14x8 i use a pacific stand as low as it will go it puts the rim at about 26 inches off the floor. It is 12 lug and i tune it with the drumdial to get it close then finish it off by ear you you can lock the lugs that helps keep it there. My thanks to Ludwigvondrumcrazy for all the great info you posted i will keep you informed of the progress on the restoration. That is a killer set of ludwigs you have do you have any before pictures?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockdrummer View Post
My thanks to Ludwigvondrumcrazy for all the great info you posted i will keep you informed of the progress on the restoration. That is a killer set of ludwigs you have do you have any before pictures?
Oldrockdrummer, no dramatic before & after shots of that Kit, this was one of those you hear tell about that was only played for a couple of years then stored for 25 so it was more of a thorough cleaning than a true reconditioning. The worst it had going on was the finish, which started to darken & breakdown, but that was to be expected, giving the Drums a rough and “grippy” feeling when you ran your hand over it. Not sticky mind you, but something along those lines.

The Kit proper dates to 1979 and came as a Big Beat, 12, 13, 16 & 22, while the 10 x 14 dates to a little later, somewhere in the early 80’s. I picked up the 14 to give me more configuration options………

Oh, by the way, you’re welcome!

LVDC
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 PM

Got it Done : I replaced the hoops, the sound control , butt plate, tension rods and heads. stained it red mahogany ( to look better behind my cherry wine superstars ) and shot it with 5 coats of high build laquer
Attached Images

Last edited by oldrockdrummer; 03-30-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Pioneer Member

WOW!!!! Sweet. Extreme Makeover, "Snare edition" Thats one of the best refinishing jobs I've seen, excellent pic on the color.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

...Very Nice.

If you are looking to change the hardware, I picked up a Pacific wood hooped tube lug snare and swapped the lugs with this Maple 14x5.

The lug spacing was thesame for both drums.

Once again, you did a very nice job. Congrats.

barry
Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 PM

what heads you gonna put on that bad boy
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 PM

I put Evans hazy snare side and st dry batter I use a drumdial to 90 batter and about 80 snare side snares not too tight. the rim shots will pretty much blow your head off
Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Very Nice.

If you are looking to change the hardware, I picked up a Pacific wood hooped tube lug snare and swapped the lugs with this Maple 14x5.

The lug spacing was thesame for both drums.

Once again, you did a very nice job. Congrats.

barry

Neat! The holes match right up?

-Ryan