DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Default New DW5000 Longboards?!?!?!

Hi all,

I heard that DW is coming out with a longboard version of the 5000 series pedal that is supposed to be available by mid-summer 2008. Don't know as of yet if this is fact or fiction, and if it's true, if it will be available only on the 5000 series or their other lines as well, and if it will be available on single pedals, double pedals, or both.

I couldn't find anything on their website to ths effect, but I heard it from a reliable source.

Has anyone else heard anything about this??

- Mike
Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Re: New DW5000 Longboards?!?!?!

Yeah, it's true. They're in the new catalog. There are 2 versions, both are 5000 series single pedals. There are pics in this thread I started a while back.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35583
Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Go to this link and under Catalogs select the dw pedals & hardware catalog there is a solid footboard 5000 series on page 6
http://www.dwdrums.com/info/index.htm
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Now that we know it's for real, has anyone out there tried these bad boys yet?? They're not supposed be released in my area for a couple of months still, but maybe they're already available in certain places. Also, is there a double-pedal version??
Let us know...

- Mike
Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Hey guys,

I am the inventor/designer of the pedal you are referring to. It's called the DW 5000 Heel Less pedal. It is definitly not a longboard! It's a regular sized foot board with no heel plate. Here are the reasons behind this design.

When you place your foot on the sweet spot of a pedal with a heel plate, the back of your foot hits the back edge of the heel plate. I have always found this very uncomfortable. In my opinion all pedals with large heel plates and long boards have this design flaw! By eliminating the heel plate all together it alows your foot to rest on the ground and be completely relaxed. Also, when your heel hits the ground you transfer the majoriety of your weight to the floor, making it very easy to play with the beater out of the head. This gives you plenty of power with a rounder, more legato sound! Here are some other benefits:

- More sound
- More power
- More speed
- Full relaxation
- No back problems
- Fast as Hell!!!
- Great for heel up and heel down players
- Easy to play into and out of the head!

You can e mail me if you have any other questions or comments at mpacker49@earthlink.net. For a complete explanation of the Heel Less pedal and heel up technique check out my DVD "Bass Drum and Hi Hat Technique". It's available through Hal Leonard.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

I always felt DW should produce a 'removable' heel plate pedal, since it seemed they don't know which way to go with their heel plate design.

The DW 5K started with a slight 'decrease' then went square, then they 'stacked' a bunch of plates, it was getting comical.

Removable means you have the 'option'. True when playing closer to the middle of the foot board (sweet spot) it is more comfortable with a 'lesser' or no heel plate. Pedals like Tama (Camco) and Pearl (Elim) have a shaved heel plate design and can give somewhat an idea of a heel-less feel.

Sweet spot describes the certain part of the pedal board that provide the greatest amount of leverage to the user. Sonor loosely incorporates an accentuated 'sweet spot' right into their latest design (pic below).

By eliminating the heel plate, the foot's motion is afforded more leverage. This may or may not fit the playing style and position you're 'currently' set up to and with currently being the big word here, a removeable heel plate seems like a much better option.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 03-21-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM
fourstringdrums

I posted a thread about this a while back. Both the longboard and heel-less pedals are special order and I was shocked at the price.

The longboard is $230 (vs. $170 for non longboard). The heel-less is a whopping $310 I think it was and no, that's not retail.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 AM

Thanks for all the info, everyone!! I gotta make my way to a large drum store and try out all these options....there's so many to choose from!!!
With my luck, I'll probably be there all day, waste the poor salesman's time, buy nothing, and leave the store even more confused than when I got there. lol
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I posted a thread about this a while back. Both the longboard and heel-less pedals are special order and I was shocked at the price.

The longboard is $230 (vs. $170 for non longboard). The heel-less is a whopping $310 I think it was and no, that's not retail.
For $20 in materials and a couple of hours time, I believe I could convert a standard DW 5000 into a longboard. It wouldn't be major surgery.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
For $20 in materials and a couple of hours time, I believe I could convert a standard DW 5000 into a longboard. It wouldn't be major surgery.
Really. What materials would you need and how would you do it?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Really. What materials would you need and how would you do it?
I don't have a pedal in front of me right now, but I have two DW5000s and I have done various modifications to them, so I am familiar with working on them.

I would remove the hinge first. Then I would remove the heel plate and join it to the footboard with a gusset of high-strength steel. Then I would relocate the hinge to the back of the red base plate. Then I would join the back of the heel plate to the hinge. Three basic steps.

I would use existing holes whenever possible, but I suspect I will need to drill new holes through the footboard and/or heel plate and/or red base plate to accomplish all this. I would use flat head machine screws and countersink them, as is done elsewhere on the DW5000, so that no screw heads were sticking up.

Other than that, there would be no major modifications and it would be reversible, although if you reversed it you'd have some extra holes in the footboard and/or heel plate and/or red base plate. The crucial part would be getting a very high-grade steel for the gusset as that would be taking a lot of stress. The nice thing is that you wouldn't need to buy anything from DW, which is expensive. You could just reconfigure the parts already on the pedal and use a some extra parts from a hardware store. It would be a fun project.

I want to ask, what is the benefit of a longboard? Fourstring, I know you have said a longboard helps you with your foot situation, but even for the average player, what does a longboard offer? I've never played with one and never much thought about it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I don't have a pedal in front of me right now, but I have two DW5000s and I have done various modifications to them, so I am familiar with working on them.

I would remove the hinge first. Then I would remove the heel plate and join it to the footboard with a gusset of high-strength steel. Then I would relocate the hinge to the back of the red base plate. Then I would join the back of the heel plate to the hinge. Three basic steps.

I would use existing holes whenever possible, but I suspect I will need to drill new holes through the footboard and/or heel plate and/or red base plate to accomplish all this. I would use flat head machine screws and countersink them, as is done elsewhere on the DW5000, so that no screw heads were sticking up.

Other than that, there would be no major modifications and it would be reversible, although if you reversed it you'd have some extra holes in the footboard and/or heel plate and/or red base plate. The crucial part would be getting a very high-grade steel for the gusset as that would be taking a lot of stress. The nice thing is that you wouldn't need to buy anything from DW, which is expensive. You could just reconfigure the parts already on the pedal and use a some extra parts from a hardware store. It would be a fun project.

I want to ask, what is the benefit of a longboard? Fourstring, I know you have said a longboard helps you with your foot situation, but even for the average player, what does a longboard offer? I've never played with one and never much thought about it.
Thanks for the explanation. I sent you a PM.

When joining the heel plate to the footboard, would the heel plate be flush with the footboard or higher due to the difference in thickness.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I sent you a PM.

When joining the heel plate to the footboard, would the heel plate be flush with the footboard or higher due to the difference in thickness.
That is something to consider. What would you prefer? I could grind down the heel plate to make it flush with the footboard, but that would compromise the reversibility.

Another option would be to toss out the heel plate entirely and bolt the gusset to the hinge, but then you'd have a thickness drop-off at the heel. Fabricating a low-profile heel plate would add to the cost. I could spend more time on that than everything else put together.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
That is something to consider. What would you prefer? I could grind down the heel plate to make it flush with the footboard, but that would compromise the reversibility.

Another option would be to toss out the heel plate entirely and bolt the gusset to the hinge, but then you'd have a thickness drop-off at the heel. Fabricating a low-profile heel plate would add to the cost. I could spend more time on that than everything else put together.
I'd probably prefer a fabricated heel plate. The drop off would probably would be a good thing. It would probably almost be like a combination between the heel-less and the solid footboard, if that makes any sense.