DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Default Axis longboards or shortboards?

I'm going to be buying an Axis A double pedal soon. I have extensive experience with the longboards but not the shortboards. I'm trying to decide between which one I want to go with. That said I have a size 14 foot, and I'm not sure how big the footboard is on the shortboard. I also don't bury the beater into the head and I rest my heel between the beats, though I do play heels up.

With these things said I wondering which one will work best for me? And in general how does the shordboard compare to the longboard?

Another question as well, on the shortboards is the heel plate even with the actual pedal board? I ask because, for instance, on the Tama speed cobras the heel plate is higher then the actual pedal board and when I have played on those pedals my heels hit the heel plates when I come down for a beat in an awkward way which feels uncomfortable to my feet.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Axis longboards or shortboards?

Foot size makes no different for any pedal. even with heel toe playing your heel doesn't actually touch the pedal.

that said I would try BOTH out. they feel TOTALLY different.

Longboards feel lighter and are faster. its easier to do heel toe on because of the leverage. I have some axis longboards and they have been great...... the short boards are good too.. they would feel more like a standard chain pedal but are still direct drive.

any direct drive pedal has a large learning curve because they feel so much different.

Recently I picked up some Pearl Demon Drives and love em. They can switch between short and long boards and have a ton of settings you can adjust. I would suggest giving them a try as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:54 PM

I have the longboards and sometimes wish I had shortboards. When I rest my foot it sometimes throws me off when I go to start playing again.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 AM
Silver Member

I think I'm going to go with the longboards. A drummer at a show that I was at the other night let me check out her longboard A series pedals and I liked them.

Now I need to choose between the A, A21 or A11 model pedals. Has anyone played all 3? I like the lite fast feel of the A series. I was told that the A21 feels more like a chain drive pedal. And I don't know much about the A11.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
I think I'm going to go with the longboards. A drummer at a show that I was at the other night let me check out her longboard A series pedals and I liked them.

Now I need to choose between the A, A21 or A11 model pedals. Has anyone played all 3? I like the lite fast feel of the A series. I was told that the A21 feels more like a chain drive pedal. And I don't know much about the A11.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
I've got two A21's, and have also owned A series as well...no experience with A11...if I had to choose between the regular A or the A21, I'd pick the A21...just feels better to me ... A little more power at the end of the stroke...
Old 08-26-2014, 04:17 AM

The a 11s are a21s with short boards cause the 21 degree angle does not work with short boards. I have a long boards and like them a lot, very Smooth, and nice adjustability. hope this helps