DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Default PDP Concept Pedal

Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

I saw one in a local shop. Good price point. It has a long board, and while I'm a 8.5 shoe, it seemed to give me some leverage that the shorter boards don't have. Interested in input....

This, or a used DW 5000?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Re: PDP Concept Pedal

I tried it out over the weekend and its fine, but nothing spectacular, IMO. Its smooth like any of the DW pedals, but it didn't feel very fast to me. I think it needs much stronger springs. There really isn't any adjustment to it, but if that's not a big deal to you it should be fine. My biggest concern is the design of the master pedal. The right pedal doesn't look to have much support by the cam. I know a lot of double pedals are going this way where they don't do the little bridge from the left most vertical support and instead put a sleeve around a bearing to connect the hex bar to the slave beater, but it just scares me about its durability. I have heard of Mapex pedals wearing out within a matter of months that use this type of design. The constant slamming on the pedal puts too much pressure on the bearing and eventually elongates its housing and you get play.

Because of that, I would recommend a true DW pedal over the PDP. The 5000 is twice the price of the PDP, so I would say the 3000 is a more comparable model. Notice that both these pedals have the little bridge from the left post to support the master pedal hex rod on the left side. This additional support will keep the bearings from having undue stress.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:33 AM

Bumping to see if anyone else has any thoughts on this pedal. One guy on here in an older thread had some quality issues with his. I'm wondering since I think the pedal has been on the market for a few years now maybe someone could give some opinions on its durability.
I'm looking for a decent single pedal that's under $100 and am looking closely at the pdp concept and the pearl demonator. But I have a big foot and mostly play heel down so I'm thinking the concept will be better with the huge foot board and the heel plate.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjohnbonham View Post
Bumping to see if anyone else has any thoughts on this pedal. One guy on here in an older thread had some quality issues with his. I'm wondering since I think the pedal has been on the market for a few years now maybe someone could give some opinions on its durability.
I'm looking for a decent single pedal that's under $100 and am looking closely at the pdp concept and the pearl demonator. But I have a big foot and mostly play heel down so I'm thinking the concept will be better with the huge foot board and the heel plate.
If your budget is up to $100, get a Tama Iron Cobra 600. There's a seller on ebay that's selling them for $99 right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-HP600D-..._qi=RTM1562570
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

I have the double bass version. Its a ok pedal. Id definitely take it over a dw3000. To me the 3000 has a cheaper feel to them

the iron coba 600 is better than the concept pedal though
Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 AM

Tried a single awhile ago. It felt a bit weird to me but it was a super long footboard where as I'm used to regular or slightly longer boards. I'm sure the quality was middle or a tad better to say the least though. For me, the response was easier, but maybe a little longer but that's just me.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

I bought the double one used at GC for $99 last month.. I was actually ready to pay the 199 new price and was amazed when I got it to the counter and saw the used price on it.. I really thought it was a new display and so did the attendant.. anyway, I wear size 13 shoes so I love the long boards and now that I'm not playing out every week, it is all I need. When I was playing out a lot I used the Speed Cobra which to me is the best out there.. (choose it over every other high priced pedal I tried)..this concept reminds me of it abit, once I changed to lighter beaters.. It is IMO is a great low priced pedal.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 AM

This guy Marco makes pretty good use of PDP pedals.
http://youtu.be/-0LtujdJBYA?list=UU2...1yWsgFMSN_sekA
Old 10-22-2014, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

I've been looking at this pedal also. I have a size 13 foot so now that I've been doing the heel-toe thing a lot, my short board pedals are gathering dust.

The p930 is great and works for me....I have two....one on the kit at home and one in the bag for gigs. It really gets the job done and I don't worry about it. I have the demon drive too which I use all the time at home and she I use the p930 at reh or gig I don't feel I am missing anything.

Today, I just upgraded my Axis X to a longboard and I must say it feels exceptional with my large foot...and might just be my favorite for heel toe doubles. I might start using this one out of the house....it's really nice for those of us with larger hooves.

Having any heel plate now seems unnecessary with the axis long experience. It feels just right and now I probably not try the concept.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 AM

Well, I went out to Guitar Center and they happened to have a Concept double pedal on a TD-11 kit. Needess to say, that pedal was complete garbage. All the issues I thought would happen in my above post had happened to this pedal. Both bearings in the posts were worn out and the whole mid section of the master pedal flopped around. Here is a video I took:

http://youtu.be/GeQHb-QvHQg

So if anyone is thinking of buying the Concept double pedal, I recommend looking for a different pedal.

Last edited by Tommy_D; 10-26-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Well, I went out to Guitar Center and they happened to have a Concept double pedal on a TD-11 kit. Needess to say, that pedal was complete garbage. All the issues I thought would happen in my above post had happened to this pedal. Both bearings in the posts were worn out and the whole mid section of the master pedal flopped around. Here is a video I took:

So if anyone is thinking of buying the Concept double pedal, I recommend looking for a different pedal.
Thanks for educating us....even though I'm a measly single kick player, the issue you showed here will steer me clear of the pedal.....I like the beater head though
Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I have the double bass one and mine dont do that. That one looks beat though.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:36 AM

Well, keep an eye out for any play. This pedal may only be a few months old because I did not see it last time I was in there. Yeah they get beat on by dumbass players (the audio in my video is a case in point) but it is a poor design that is susceptable to this type of failure. I knew it was something to look out for right when I saw the pedal and sure enough it reared its ugly head.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, keep an eye out for any play. This pedal may only be a few months old because I did not see it last time I was in there. Yeah they get beat on by dumbass players (the audio in my video is a case in point) but it is a poor design that is susceptable to this type of failure. I knew it was something to look out for right when I saw the pedal and sure enough it reared its ugly head.
bad bearings in that for sure....