DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: THis is COOL

Chances are you don't care but you can buy a pearl plate like this http://www.pearldrum.com/06_updates/BBC1-L.jpg that goes over unused bass drum mounts when you put your toms on stands. I thought thats a cool little thing for Pearl to put out.

Kit looks great. Ten times better with the clear coat on top of the new paint job looks really clean and well done.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Chances are you don't care but you can buy a pearl plate like this http://www.pearldrum.com/06_updates/BBC1-L.jpg that goes over unused bass drum mounts when you put your toms on stands. I thought thats a cool little thing for Pearl to put out.

Kit looks great. Ten times better with the clear coat on top of the new paint job looks really clean and well done.
I think I am going to pick on of those up if I end up buying this set from my school.

Kinda Ironic I put about $40 to $50 into supplies, and who knows how many hours, am my teacher tells me he will sell them to me for $350...

I laughed at him and told him $100 may be pushing it....

BTW he has no idea what color patter or anything I chose for these...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Now that looks sweet. The wood grain looks great. Which cymbals are you running there?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

I am currently using

14" paiste innovations medium top over a dimensions heavy crunch hat

18" paiste prototype crash (dimensions/2oo8 mix thing)

21" sabian AA raw bell dry ride

18" Vintage zildjian Avedies crash

I will switch between my aa RBDR and my 22'' dream contact ride 3 or 4 times a night, because they are on completely different sound spectrum's, and I can't decide which one I like best. I love them both so much!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
when you have such a great set you really can not put a reso head upside down. That totally distracts from the kit...
I took care of that nasty reso head in about less than a minute, just took two swipes with a rag and some of my trusty goof off...

I am going to put a new head on the batter side and re tune the reso side of the bass sometime so ignore the wrinkles
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 AM

This might have been asked already, I didn't want to read all of the two pages, sorry.

When you ripped off the wrap, did you have to sand off some glue left on there, and how much was left?

I have wanted to do this to my drums for a while.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonphotog View Post
This might have been asked already, I didn't want to read all of the two pages, sorry.

When you ripped off the wrap, did you have to sand off some glue left on there, and how much was left?

I have wanted to do this to my drums for a while.
The wrap was only held on in two spots that were about an 1.5" apart. The 12, 13 toms wrap come off easy, but the floor and bass were really bad. I had to do about 10, 15 minutes of sanding each on the floor and bass, and still didn't get everything off.

I really wish I would have used something like goof off to get rid of it and I would have been really easy but I just wasn't thinking.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
The wrap was only held on in two spots that were about an 1.5" apart. The 12, 13 toms wrap come off easy, but the floor and bass were really bad. I had to do about 10, 15 minutes of sanding each on the floor and bass, and still didn't get everything off.

I really wish I would have used something like goof off to get rid of it and I would have been really easy but I just wasn't thinking.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that little, I'm going to try this, thanks man.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
I took care of that nasty reso head in about less than a minute, just took two swipes with a rag and some of my trusty goof off...

I am going to put a new head on the batter side and re tune the reso side of the bass sometime so ignore the wrinkles
that's more like it :-). Now I can enjoy your kit in all it's glory. How do people react that see it IRL?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
that's more like it :-). Now I can enjoy your kit in all it's glory. How do people react that see it IRL?
My band members love it, other than that it hasn't been seen by others.

Friday my parents are going out of town and were having a kinda pre-show kinda thing at my house where I will be using it, and then is the show and I am going to use it for that too. Then hopefully I will get some feedback from the other bands or something...
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM

Great job, i really like the way it turned out, pink stripe and all. now you have a custom kit haha

What kind of tape did you use for the stripe? and how did you paint the stripe pink after you ripped off the tape? Might want to try this some day
Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 PM

Although I'm a huge fan of V W V L drums, it looks better with the logo removed.

I'd take the wrinkles out of the reso head though.

Tape is your friend. Nice job!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

I used blue painters tape. People love the set. It has been dubbed the breast cancer tribute kit. I took it to a show on the 22nd and when I was packing up to leave two of the other bands' drummers came and asked how much I would charge to do something similar to their kits.

I took the wrinkles out of the head. I hadn't even tuned it up yet I was to excited to show off the pictures.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Thats awesome man, maybe you can start your own mini-business doing this kinda stuff... That would be a really cool way to make some money, but you would need a sick name.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

I just got off the phone with one of the guys I go to school with, and I will be stripping down his old black ludwig accent kit and doing a natural finish on it.