DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 PM
peanut23s

Default cobra clutch

anyone here got one thinking about buying one but would really like to know what they are like before i decide to buy so can i have an opinion?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
peanut23s

Default Re: cobra clutch

sorry to bump this but ive been thinking again and didnt get a reply last time so anyone got any opinions etc
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

My figure four leglock will defeat your cobra clutch.

But seriously, i've never used or even seen one but it looks awfully bulky for something that does the job of a miniscule drop clutch not to mention that you're close to the cost of a pair of auxillary hi hats for the price of this thing.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
peanut23s

i see what you are saying about the cost. but its not overely bulky i dont think and its not as if its going to be taking up lots of space in my set up as it would be on the inside but i guess i could just get anothe rhi hat mount and the xcelerator hats as well ;)
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Drop clutches suck. I've had at least two or three different ones and none have ever worked right. If the Cobra Clutch works as advertised, it's a much better solution.

I will get one eventually. I actually bought one on evilBay, but returned it unused because the lying seller said it was new when it was obviously used.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Been looking at the Cobra Clutch myself quite a bit these last few days - drop clutch is handy, but has its quirks (takes up a little too much room at the top of the high-hats, and limits overall height of the stack, and if I hit them hard enough while closed, they'll bounce enough to lock open again. Trivial, but still...)

Peanut, careful though - while it does sound like the cobra will work on nearly any hi-hat stand, it looks like it ~does~ have to go directly to the left of the pedal (where your second bass is at now) -- and with the Cobra Clutch ~and~ the second bass pedal sandwiching the HH pedal, some tripod legs won't clear, you might need a two leg or legless stand -- at least that's what one of the cautions I'd found said... For what it's worth
Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Sorry Peanut,

I missed this thread twice. I have one. I got it as a Father's Day gift from my wife and kids. I think it was about $90.

You can see it set up, open and closed, in my "Albums" in my profile.

It works flawlessly and is very adjustable. I'll set it up when I put up a larger kit, double pedals and I know I'm going to be playing double bass accents (specific songs) or I'm in a "gear-head" kind of mood.

It's one of the first pieces of gear I will choose to leave at home when packing a minimalist rig, which is most of the time.

In a recording environment, it is superior to a drop clutch because of the how quiet and easy it is to activate and because it doesn't make the high hat top clang on the bottom when you drop it.

I use it with DW9000s hooked up to a DW9000 HH.
If you have Iron Cobras, it matches perfectly and looks very professional.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

im so annoyed last night whilst aroound my mates house found 1 for 50 quid :@

long story short no wallet no clutch :(

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks